It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Flatfish

fox has such power?

wow, so i guess alot of people listen to them?

like more than real news from your own country?
edit on 1-3-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

Put it this way, Fox rigged the 2000 election.

So yes.. Fox has a lot of power over the AVERAGE person..

edit on 1-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Dangit you mean we had the chance to move FOX and Friends and Hannity and Glenn Beck to Canada and they all turned it down because the law outlaws those kinds of shows? DANGIT!

Maybe England will take em.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Good.
Double plus good.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I really doubt that England would be interested in their brand of news. I would be more inclined to think that Fox News would be a good fit for a country like Iran seeing how they are truth deniers too. You know, with the holocaust not ever happening and all, it would seem that Fox News would rapidly become a cherished news source for them.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

The U.S. could learn a lot from Canada

Just what exactly are we supposed to learn? How not to implement health care?

Are you honestly suggesting that the current MSM outlets within the Canadian borders is fair and balanced? You can't be that naive in believing that your news sources speak the truth? Bwahahaha!

You are absolutely right. The Canucks that are anti Fox forget that the CBC, CTV, Global news up here have all been caught twisting stories toward the politics of their owners / chiefs. That's right, even the CBC, a government operated institution, is governed by liberal leaning public servants and has for a very long time been anti right. (translate: anti-conservative party)

Getting Fox in Canada would mean that they would have an opposing view and they would hate that.
BTW, There exists only one radio talk show that leans right up here and it is constantly being targeted by left leaning politicos.

Balanced, I don't think so!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Good.
Double plus good.

Dang it, you beat me to it. Really Good News, and I'll raise one and triple that.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

We get MSNBC, CNN and FOX, but we get the broadcasts from US offices. For instance, I'm in Nova Scotia, and my cable provider Eastlink broadcasts Fox and Fox News, but it's not local - we get it broadcast in from Rochester, NY, so when the Fox First at 10 News comes on, we get Rochester news (not Nova Scotia news), and when we turn on the Fox News channel, we get US-based news as well.

What the story about Fox being denied to enter Canada means is that Fox was trying to open up a Canadian affiliate based in Toronto and broadcast news from within Canada, giving Canadians the same type of misleading stories about our own news that Fox has been feeding the US public for a long time.

The main reason this is an issue in Canada right now is because there are more people than ever in Canada who are "awake" like myself and will not allow Canada to become a police/propaganda state without a fight, either by signing petitions, or by organizing protests. At least for now, the majority of Canadian Government do listen to their constituents and actually take action when they are presented with petitions from them opposing a particular issue.

--

Also, that jacka## Harper is about to call another election in an attempt to get his party more seats in Parliament. I sincerely hope it backfires on him this time, because at this point most Canadians are fed up with the way he has been running our country into the ground. For those unfamiliar with Canadian elections, the Prime Minister is the one who decides when elections are called - A newly elected Prime Minister can call an election only a few months after being elected if he wants to, in the process wasting millions of taxpayer dollars on an election that didn't need to be called.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Historically, the Prime Minister could ask the Governor General to call an election at virtually any time, although one had to be called no later than five years after the return of the writs under section 4 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. However, in 2007, the Conservative-controlled Parliament passed an act requiring fixed election dates in Canada every four years.[1]. This law is largely symbolic as it does not curtail the power of the Prime Minister to request the dissolution of Parliament at any time, as demonstrated by the same Conservative government that passed the law called for elections one year prior to the legislated date without having lost a confidence motion.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

This means that even though Harper's own government passed a law requiring fixed election dates every 4 years like the US, the Prime Minister of Canada can still call an election any time he feels like it. Harper has a habit of calling elections after only a short amount of time in office, capitalizing on whatever national issue at the time will garner him more votes. He took over as Prime Minister in Feb 2006, then called another election less than 3 years later in October 2008, 'coincidentally' while the opposition was embroiled in a scandal, successfully managing to take advantage of the opposition to garner his party an extra 16 seats in Parliament.

Then, only 2 months after the election, as the opposition parties were preparing to oust him with a non-confidence vote, he became the first PM in Canadian history to prorogue Parliament and shut down the government long enough to avoid being forced out by the opposition, then prorogued again only a year later, right before the Vancouver Olympics, to stop the opposition from forcing an issue regarding Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

--

The point of this post was to show that FoxNews being denied entry into Canada was only a small victory in a very long battle that the Canadian people are slowly losing. Trust me, Harper will try his hardest to overcome this setback, and find another way to get it pushed through.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

Are you honestly suggesting that the current MSM outlets within the Canadian borders is fair and balanced? You can't be that naive in believing that your news sources speak the truth? Bwahahaha!

You are absolutely right. The Canucks that are anti Fox forget that the CBC, CTV, Global news up here have all been caught twisting stories toward the politics of their owners / chiefs. That's right, even the CBC, a government operated institution, is governed by liberal leaning public servants and has for a very long time been anti right. (translate: anti-conservative party)

Getting Fox in Canada would mean that they would have an opposing view and they would hate that.
BTW, There exists only one radio talk show that leans right up here and it is constantly being targeted by left leaning politicos.

Well, there you have it ...................The official fox version of why they were not allowed in Canada.

very good spin, you may have a career in broadcasting news.(at least with Fox)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

So the goal is to balance the corruption evenly? I've never understood this argument. If a particular news outlet is bias then maybe they should be called out + boycotted by anyone who recognizes it, including (and most importantly) their own "fans". Creating a news station biased in the other direction to counterbalance it out just seems to add more lies and distortion to the pot.
edit on 1-3-2011 by Boreas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The Canucks that are anti Fox forget that the CBC, CTV, Global news up here have all been caught twisting stories toward the politics of their owners / chiefs. That's right, even the CBC, a government operated institution, is governed by liberal leaning public servants and has for a very long time been anti right. (translate: anti-conservative party)

You seem to miss a central point to the issue...I'll bring it forward again:

Fox News Will Not Be Moving Into Canada After All

www.huffingtonpost.com

Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news."

Which is all to say that if said station is not allowed to lie, then it feels it cannot conduct business. That's a little different from spin...well, it is to most folks. Shame on Steve for trying yet again to lower the intellectual and moral bar in this fair land of ours.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
They are not only lying ...they are obstructing the justice ..this is fresh news and fresh thread

Fox News Boss Ailes to be indicted ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-3-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParkerCramer

Well, there you have it ...................The official fox version of why they were not allowed in Canada.

very good spin, you may have a career in broadcasting news.(at least with Fox)

ParkerCramer, Don't think so... I have known this was the way things were a lot longer than Fox' request to air in Canada existed. There is no "balance" in the national news services in Canada.

To Johnny Canuck. What, you don't really believe that CBC, CTV and Global are always telling you the truth do you. That would be very naive of you. I clearly do not want any news source to actively lie to me or to the rest of the people in Canada. I am just convinced that denying access to any competing news source to the Canadian airwaves restricts our news to the liars that are already in place here. Having one-sided news sources here does not allow us the room to judge objectively the truthfulness of the news we are getting. It's one handed clapping.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

To Johnny Canuck. What, you don't really believe that CBC, CTV and Global are always telling you the truth do you. That would be very naive of you. I clearly do not want any news source to actively lie to me or to the rest of the people in Canada. I am just convinced that denying access to any competing news source to the Canadian airwaves restricts our news to the liars that are already in place here. Having one-sided news sources here does not allow us the room to judge objectively the truthfulness of the news we are getting. It's one handed clapping.

I am not going to argue whether or not any news service presents an editorial spin.
Fact is if they LIE to you, you presently have recourse to the CRTC. Under the legislation proposed by Steve, you would lose that right. Capiche?

It is the news service that apparently is declining to operate under those constraints. That tells me all I need to know about "Fair and Balanced".

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
A minor victory, However the broadcasting system here still isnt fantastic, but this does temporarily prevent it from getting a whole lot worse.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Fox or (Faux news as some call it) News North never made it this time - probably means they'll just sell it under another, nicer name.

Anyone who says our Cdn mainstream media is left-wing is really giving themselves away.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Our private and national broadcasters are now a sham.
CBC used to do some incredible docs - (check out their doc on 9-11)
Not any more.

Daily papers owned by the same few -- misleading headlines, incorrect news "reporting".. we laugh at our so-called "reporters" - one-sided news content, commentary, not reporting of news-worthy events is filling our atmosphere. Laden with it.

And yes, we have Limbaugh-wanna-bes sounding like maniacal maniacs, spewing their venom and trying to come off as knowledgeable.

Its pitiful, really.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thank the gods, and good riddance too.
Keep that crap south and we are happy campers here.
We will take the "Beach Combers" any day or night compared to that trash!
Regards, Iwinder

edit on 1-3-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

I can't wait to hear how Fox News spins this story to paint themselves as the victim. Get ready for Canada to be portrayed as the next enemy of the U.S..

hahaha, I thought that we were the next enemy of the US.. While Americans battle their water companies, we have thousands of fresh water lakes. Every country is going to want a piece of us.
And when whatever country does come, they will have to fight for every millimeter. (about 1/22nd of an inch for you Amercians

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
what kind of prime minister fights to have reporters lie to it's audience.

is this guy actually pro-lying or is harper mentally insane.

atleast in the u.s. you know when your next election is, in canuckistan it's a friggin mystery.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

So Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Canada and the Huffington Post, only support Free Speech and a Free Press when it agrees with them? How sad!

People can't have it both ways. They are either for Free Speech and a Free Press, or they are not.

The Right uses FoxNews and Talk Radio. The Left has the Broadcast News, the CEO of GE (NBC) as a personal adviser to the White House while being in complete control of what is reported by NBC, CNN and Hollywood.

Seems like a pretty even playing field that represents the ideologies of the US, which is about evenly split. So now the Left is actively trying to silence the Right and Free Speech and a Free Press be damned?

Are Canadians so brainwashed they would rather have censorship than free flowing information from all sources? I doubt that. This is all an orchestrated attempt by one side to silence the other. The opposite of Free Speech and a Free Press.

I'm taking no sides here and consider the Left and the Right to both be the problem as they work to silence each other and spin facts and outright lie to get their way.

I'd suspect that JFK is rolling over in his grave. The Democrats once had great leaders, two of whom that were Kennedy's were silenced and their memories cheapened by the likes of Teddy and Robert Jr. from their own families. To be fair to Teddy though, he would have never suggested silencing Speech or the Press. Robert Jr. seems to be a product of the radical Progressive movement. Too many years of institutionalized brainwashing at the hands of radical Progressive Professors.

***The first person who accuses me of being a Republican for pointing out the truth will get a mental punch to the nose. Their crap is another topic.***

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

Put it this way, Fox rigged the 2000 election.

Perhaps and CNN and Broadcast News rigged the election for Obama, an unknown with no qualifications to run the largest economy on the Earth.

Both sides are always doing the same things they accuse each other of. Right now, Obama is rigging the next election by buying the Unions. It's all the same.

I've been both Democrat and Republican in my life and now I vote based on the person rather than the Party, as I've wised up. People like me are now in the majority and watch with interest as both sides play these games. We marvel at those who are still brainwashed and have yet to wake up to how both sides are manipulating them. Our best defense is to make sure no idea's or ideologies are silenced and that censorship does no happen. When you allow your opponent to be censored, your being censored can not be far behind. It's a fools game.

Canada is worse off for limiting it's access to information and not better for it. Just think for a moment what kind of person promotes censorship?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join