It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

www.huffingtonpost.com

As America's middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades -- against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News -- fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or mis
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 3/1/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Well, It's good to know that at least somebody in this world outlaws "false and misleading news." On top of that, it's good to know that somebody recognizes it when they hear it. Good ole Canada!

The U.S. could learn a lot from Canada if we could just get past the conservative brainwashing being spewed from sources like Fox News. Apparently the Canadians are smart enough, or should I say moral enough, to ban false and misleading news in the first place and it's not at all surprising to me that it would be a conservative like Steve Harper who would attempt to reverse that ban. Steve Harper is just another puppet who's strings are being manipulated by multi-national corporations, no different than governor Walker in Wisconsin.

I can't wait to hear how Fox News spins this story to paint themselves as the victim. Get ready for Canada to be portrayed as the next enemy of the U.S..

Strike one up for truth in broadcasting!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Congratulations Canada.

But don't get too comfortable.... "FOX" is just a name..... their model of business is universal....

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
i'm so glad to hear this!

imagine what o'rielly would be like!

dodged that bullet!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Up here we call it CBC...

They can't make false or misleading statements but they can certainly print old news like it was new and get everyone in a tizzy over something that was settled already..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

really, what does it matter?

spin is spin is spin.

lol, love the crap people spew about news.

filter it out people!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Good for Canada!! You don't have to be subjected to the crap and misleading "Fair and Balanced" news that we see here in the states!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Good for Canada!! You don't have to be subjected to the crap and misleading "Fair and Balanced" news that we see here in the states!

and you get your news from what magazine?

eh?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by TechVampyre

and you get your news from what magazine?

eh?

I get my news from one place..ATS

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I hadn't even heard FOX was trying to get into Canada, but I sure am glad that they were denied. Even better is the reason:

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right wing talk radio out of Canada

Talk about being pwned... but yeah, it will be interesting to see what FOX says about this. My guess is that they don't say anything at all; they will forget that it ever happened.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Dang - so that means you guys won't get MSNBC or CNN either correct? They've both been caught in lies a few times as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Talk about being pwned... but yeah, it will be interesting to see what FOX says about this. My guess is that they don't say anything at all; they will forget that it ever happened.

Yeah, that's what they'd do if they were smart but smart isn't one of their strong suits. I'll just bet that once the news that they were denied access gets out there, they will play the victim card as usual.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

The U.S. could learn a lot from Canada

Just what exactly are we supposed to learn? How not to implement health care?

Are you honestly suggesting that the current MSM outlets within the Canadian borders is fair and balanced? You can't be that naive in believing that your news sources speak the truth? Bwahahaha!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Maybe we should start a petition and get a law like that passed here in the states.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Actually this has been challenged in the US before.

Because of the 'entertainment' industry paradigm, their 'productions' of news 'reports' are first and foremost for 'entertainment' and thus not a binding statement of fact.

i.e. Not only can they lie to us... they can tell us (legally) that they are not lying and this is the news and the complete truth.... and then proceed to lie.... without violating any laws or regulations whatsoever....

(except if you include moral law in the mix... but they really don't care about that as much as us thinking they are a good 'source' of information.)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Dang - so that means you guys won't get MSNBC or CNN either correct? They've both been caught in lies a few times as well.

To begin with, I don't live in Canada even though I'm not at all opposed to the idea, so I'm not really one of the "you guys" who actually does live there. Although, I don't remember reading anything about MSNBC or CNN being denied access to the Canadian airways, I'll just bet that their broadcast are still permissible.

I doubt that Fox News would need a waiver for making a "few" misleading statements. I think it's more of a sustained practice of making misleading statements that got them into this fix.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Originally posted by Frogs

To begin with, I don't live in Canada even though I'm not at all opposed to the idea, so I'm not really one of the "you guys" who actually does live there. Although, I don't remember reading anything about MSNBC or CNN being denied access to the Canadian airways, I'll just bet that their broadcast are still permissible.

It isn't denied on our airways, we get these stations. They are news from the US. We just won't be getting a Canadian news station version, like fox. I've been watching these stations for years now. CNN, Fox, and MSNBC.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Yes, as a matter of fact, the Canadian model for nationalized health care would be an excellent place to start. If the nation hadn't been flooded with right wing propaganda from sources like Fox News during the health care debate, we would probably have a much more sustainable health care reform bill than we currently have.

Nationalized health care or single-payer medicare for all is the only way to accomplish our goal of affordably providing comprehensive health care to every citizen. This has been proven time and time again by every industrialized nation in the world other than the U.S.. The 2014 mandate to purchase health care insurance from a "Private Insurer" only serves to perpetuate the private insurance industry which does nothing to improve actual health care. The private insurance industry serves only one purpose which is to reap a profit from someone else's misery.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

fox has such power?

wow, so i guess alot of people listen to them?

like more than real news from your own country?
edit on 1-3-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join