It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rutgers Dorms Going Co-Ed After Gay Student's Suicide (I'm confused, are you?)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
reply to post by filosophia

I am sorry but I still do not understand what you are asking me. Perhaps you should also read what I wrote in the post as well as the story in the OP. I have a feeling that will help us meet up here a great deal. I was just trying to help you out but I am not sure what is going on now.

Well it's pretty simple really: Gay kid commits suicide, now they are allowing co-ed roommates. How does this relate to a gay kid committing suicide? Wouldn't it make more sense if gay students were allowed to room with other gay students? But this won't happen because the college does not ask for their sexual identities. So how do the two relate?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Tell me if you think this analogy is apt:

"We're going to please the gay community by bringing straight people into the community."

Now I see, this action by the university is covert-homophobic but the LGBT community doesn't even see it. It's like what another poster said "They'll tempt them with the opposite sex."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Well it's pretty simple really: Gay kid commits suicide, now they are allowing co-ed roommates. How does this relate to a gay kid committing suicide?

I simply have to ask again where in the article it states one is a result of the other.

Wouldn't it make more sense if gay students were allowed to room with other gay students? But this won't happen because the college does not ask for their sexual identities. So how do the two relate?

I dunno. Perhaps you should go back to erroniously quoting article snippets and debating them as if they were my quotes and actually failing to reply to the part I wrote. Anyone that read the article would have figured that out by now. I am not sure what you game is here but it hardly seems sincere. You are asking me to refute quotes from your own article when I already address this questions to Jennifer Millman.

I am really not sure if you are genuinely confused or up to something but I thought my post was pretty clear. I was not sticking up for the article. I was just pointing out that they gave their reasons in the article. I quoted thos reasons from the article and you even edited one to look like a quote from me for some reason and left off the only parts I actually wrote. Please, unless you are trying to be deceptive, go back and read my first post again. I can only hope you just really got confused.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Tell me if you think this analogy is apt:

"We're going to please the gay community by bringing straight people into the community."

Now I see, this action by the university is covert-homophobic but the LGBT community doesn't even see it. It's like what another poster said "They'll tempt them with the opposite sex."

Apparently you also failed to read your own thread.

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
as "a gay" i would rather dorm with girls than with straight homophobic frat boys - just sayin'

I do not know one gay person that is "tempted" because of close quarters with the opposite sex but I do know gay men that feel more comfortable around women than straight men.

Is homosexuality a completely foreign concept to you?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well it's pretty simple really: Gay kid commits suicide, now they are allowing co-ed roommates. How does this relate to a gay kid committing suicide?

I simply have to ask again where in the article it states one is a result of the other.

The headline

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The headline

Can you quote the headline you are reading because they may be two different headlines.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Apparently you also failed to read your own thread.

You have this obsession with me and what I've read. It's a pathetic attempt at derailing my thread. I could say that you've repeated failed to read what I've posted, such as asking me what the gay kid has to do with the college's decision: it's in the headlines!

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
as "a gay" i would rather dorm with girls than with straight homophobic frat boys - just sayin'

That is one person's opinion so what does that have to do with anything?

Is homosexuality a completely foreign concept to you?

No, is questioning homosexuality a completely foreign concept to you?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The headline

Can you quote the headline you are reading because they may be two different headlines.

Oh, so you are admitting to not reading the first line of the thread which is the first link of the thread, and then you have the nerve to tell me that I don't read my own article I post and my own thread? Gee, this is the pot calling the kettle black.

The headline is:

Rutgers Dorms Going Co-Ed After Student's Suicide

The student is Tyler Clementi.

Clementi, a talented violinist from Ridgewood, N.J., committed suicide after two students -- his male roommate and another female student -- streamed video of him engaging in a sexual encounter with another man.

So, maybe next time you should read yourself before criticizing other people on what they read.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

You have this obsession with me and what I've read. It's a pathetic attempt at derailing my thread.

No but I am still laughing pretty hard at you quoting and the arguing with your own article because you thought they were my words. How is that not hillarious?

I could say that you've repeated failed to read what I've posted, such as asking me what the gay kid has to do with the college's decision: it's in the headlines!

No, it is not in the headline I am reading.

That is one person's opinion so what does that have to do with anything?

It is a "gay" opinion. You were asking why gay people would want this. There was at least one reason but you seem to hope another straight person would just agree with you because you failed to acknowledge you already got at least one answer.

Kind of. I am not gay so I really have no reason or excuse to "question" it. That really seems strange. What other things that are really none of your business about other people's private lives do you feel is your place to question?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Oh, so you are admitting to not reading the first line of the thread which is the first link of the thread, and then you have the nerve to tell me that I don't read my own article I post and my own thread? Gee, this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Not at all. But the one I am reading says "Rutgers Dorms Going Co-Ed After Gay Student's Suicide (I'm confused, are you?"

I did not know that "after" meant "because of." Like I said, IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE, you would see it also states they are doing this AFTER SUNY Stonybrook. So does that also mean they are doing this BECAUSE of SUNY Stonybrook?

"After" does not indicate purpose.

The headline is:

Rutgers Dorms Going Co-Ed After Student's Suicide

The student is Tyler Clementi.

So our headlines do indeed say the same thing but you somehow read "because?"

So, maybe next time you should read yourself before criticizing other people on what they read.

I read all that too. I still do not see where it says this is happening BECAUSE of that. Can you show me one thing that actually says that?
edit on 1-3-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The article says that it will not ask the students their sexual preferences; HOWEVER, they can ask them if they will respect their roommate's sexual preferences. If they answer yes to that question then they would be in the category that could be teamed up with someone else who says they would respect their roommate's sexual preferences as well, thereby hopefully achieving a harmonious roommate-ship.

Does that help un-confuse you any?
edit on 3/1/11 by FibroKat because: pluralization correction

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

No but I am still laughing pretty hard at you quoting and the arguing with your own article because you thought they were my words. How is that not hillarious?

That doesn't make any sense, I'm guessing it's just another underhanded insult.

No, it is not in the headline I am reading.

Ok, so why are you wasting time on this thread if you're reading an entirely different article?

It is a "gay" opinion.

Oh brother, a gay opinion, that doesn't give it any more universal truth to it.

Kind of. I am not gay so I really have no reason or excuse to "question" it. That really seems strange. What other things that are really none of your business about other people's private lives do you feel is your place to question?

You've made this into much greater than I initially attempted: How does co-ed dorms have anything to do with a gay suicide? You seem to suggest, from the opinions of one gay person, that the, or rather, "a" reason for this is because a gay person may be more comfortable with someone of the opposite sex. Which brings me back to my metaphor:

"In order to please the gay community we will be bringing straight people into the community."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FibroKat

They can ask for a roommate who respects their sexual preference, but I'm not sure how the college would know that. Your statement about the students saying if they respect the sexual preference of their roommate is at odds with this quote:

"We're not asking students their relationships," Joan Carbone, Rutgers residence life director, told NJ.com. "People should not have to declare their sexual preference to us."

So if people should not have to declare their sexual preference to us, does that include if they respect someone else's sexual preference? They don't have to say their sexual preference but they have to say if they respect a certain sexual preference? I thank you for giving it an honest try but unfortunately I'm still confused.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Yes, they can say they would respect their roommate's preferences without having to give their own preferences. What is so confusing about that?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FibroKat

Yes, they can say they would respect their roommate's preferences without having to give their own preferences. What is so confusing about that?

It just doesn't seem very private is all. They won't ask me if I am gay, but they will ask me if I respect gays? It's still besides the point of what I'm getting at: what does co-ed roommates have to do with a gay person committing suicide?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

You're right, the headline should have said

College dorms going co-ed after Sun rises in sky.

Why would they mention the suicide if it had nothing to do with it ?

You seem to want to make it seem like there is no correlation between the gay suicide and this decision to go co-ed, yet that is the headline of the article so I'm not really sure where you're aiming at.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

"It's still besides the point of what I'm getting at: what does co-ed roommates have to do with a gay person committing suicide?"

Okay, let's see if I can help you understand the situation: If a gay young man can go to a college and have a roommate who respects his preferences, then any type of humiliating circumstance (such as what happened to that other poor young man) probably wouldn't happen; therefore, there would be no suicide.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

"It's still besides the point of what I'm getting at: what does co-ed roommates have to do with a gay person committing suicide?"

Okay, let's see if I can help you understand the situation: If a gay young man can go to a college and have a roommate who respects his preferences, then any type of humiliating circumstance (such as what happened to that other poor young man) probably wouldn't happen; therefore, there would be no suicide.

First of all, can you please give me a quote from the article where it talks about the roommate filling out some form or telling them in some way that they would respect their roommates sexual preference?

Secondly, would a gay person be more comfortable with another gay person, or someone of the opposite sex? Remember that this student who committed suicide was filmed by both a male and a female. So just because a gay male rooms with a female does not necessarily mean the female will respect their views just because she is female. If the headline read: "Due to gay suicide college allowing gay roommates." That would at least make sense. It would probably make the heterosexuals jealous if they couldn't do the same, but at least it would make sense. But instead the headline says "College dorms go co-ed after student suicide" So I'm just confused about how that relates to a gay person's suicide.
edit on 1-3-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You just want to argue to be arguing, don't you? If not, then you should re-read the article. They're setting aside a whole Hall for gays, bi-sexuals, transgenders and lesbians. And also, a hetero-man can room with his girlfriend if he wants to. Jeez.....just read the article, and I mean ALL of it....I'm outta here...............

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You just want to argue to be arguing, don't you? If not, then you should re-read the article. They're setting aside a whole Hall for gays, bi-sexuals, transgenders and lesbians. And also, a hetero-man can room with his girlfriend if he wants to. Jeez.....just read the article, and I mean ALL of it....I'm outta here...............

They're setting aside a hall for gays, bi-sexuals, etc, but they aren't asking for a student's sexual preference? Doesn't add up.

What does a gay student committing suicide have to do with co-ed dorm rooms?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join