It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best thing since GPS and Google Maps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Haha, so I know you love your Google maps and such, but what about a user made map? You use your own gps tracks and contribute to a project? Sounds like fun eh? So this website runs so smooth and fast and the maps are so nice take a look:

www.openstreetmap.org...

Another nice map site:

www.arcgis.com...

Really really cool stuff. I would advise you to download your regional area in case of internet blackouts and keep them in your survival folder

Openstreet has really awesome export functions. This is a must have download, trust me.
edit on 1-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This is pretty damn cool!! Hopefully this will be incorporated into SAT NAV's... Countless times have I ended up on a road that doesn't exist in the mapping software...

Hmm a map made via user contribution... They should have called the website 'Mapipedia' lol ..

Nice find and thanks for making us aware of this S&F for you my good sir!

Cheers!

Mike

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuzitzu

Thanks man, the cool thing is that since literally everyone has a GPS and is basically contributing to the project it gets updated fast. I would say faster than other things like Garmin and Google. Glad you could use it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I'm trying to learn GIS at the moment. This is so much easier!
Thanks!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

ive already started using it and just added some routes and labels in my area , thanx to you of course.

ive always dreamt of a tool like this where i can add things that are not available on devices like garmin.

S&F you deserve more actually

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thanks guys, if you want an editor for OpenStreets:

esriosmeditor.codeplex.com...

It may require the free reader: ArcReader

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
www.lib.utexas.edu...

A great collection of downloadable maps for your collection when there is no internet. My advice is to download your home/state maps and then find some way to integrate Opensteets into it or something..

new topics

top topics

join