It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HBGary Federal CEO Aaron Barr Steps Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

HBGary Federal CEO Aaron Barr Steps Down

threatpost.com

Embattled CEO Aaron Barr says he is stepping down from his post at HBGary Federal to allow the company to move on after an embarassing data breach.

The announcement comes three weeks after Barr became the target of a coordinated attack by members of the online mischief making group Anonymous, which hacked into HBGary Federal's computer network and published tens of thousands of company e-mail messages on the Internet. HBGary did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests for comments on Barr's resignation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Anon put this rabid dog down. One more egotistical power elitist out of the game, at least for a while. I doubt he will get any big time gigs for a while, with what was released in those emails and the fact that HBGary was so poorly protected.
The main story link here seems to almost attempt to draw some sympathy for this guy who deserves none.

How many of you read any of the emails that were released? What do you make of Aaron's future in Tech Security or Big Business at large?

threatpost.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

hahahaha...that is too funny. Careful who you piss off when you have no proper defenses.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is fantastic,stepping down means ' you leave now peacefully we will accept your resignation or your sacked'.
Every DOG has its day,and thats what he is a filthy dog.This sort of news should be celebrated among the mass' and CONGRATULATIONS to Anonymous.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Another notch on the belt of Anonymous. Huge fail for HBGary and the competence of government contracting security firms.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Man reading this just made my day. A win for the people! Thanks Anon

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It's a small victory, I hope the emails uncovered by Anon gets a thorough review for any ethics violations by any government officials that may have been involved.

The sad truth though is that there will be a dozen more HBGary's to pick right up where these scum bags left off.

I think we need to pass a law against companies that engage in "sock-puppetry", or DDoS, joe-jobbing, or any other means of "retaliating" against a Web site or public discourse.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm glad he is doing this, but as the previous poster said it won't change anything overall, there are far more people to fill in his position.

This, in my opinion, is THE best Anon triumph to date. It's cold hard proof of extreme corruption, ACTUAL CONSPIRACY, not THEORIES.

Next time I have a conversation with someone trying to explain various ways the government and big business try to screw us over, and get the whole "oh you're one of THOSE people aren't you?" I'll just point them to this HBGary mess, which is proof that those in positions of power conduct illegal operations to discredit and destroy others. And the fact that HBgary is connected to the government only proves the point they are in on it even more.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this, which I'll try to express:
  1. I hate to see anyone loose their job right now, in this economy - even this guy. Of course, he might have some sort of exit-package or "parachute" - who know's.
  2. I do feel a little sorry for him, because wherever he goes - he'll be known as that guy that bluffed Anonymous - and lost.
  3. Glad to see there has been some impact of all this.
  4. The problem is, he's gone - but company (and industry) may just keep doing what it's been doing all along!

5. There do not appear to be any plans (or even Administration discussions) regarding having anyone involved face any legal/civil or criminal penalties!
  6. Without any legal repurcussions, the message is .. "it's Ok, just don't get caught."

I do wish Aaron Barr all the best luck in the world. Maybe he'll write a book about it (which I won't read), or do lecture tour (which I won't attend - but certainly Anonymous will).

I just hope this isn't the end of the HBGary story/scandal.
edit on 2011-2-28 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fixed formatting and spelling.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
I have mixed feelings about this, which I'll try to express:
  1. I hate to see anyone loose their job right now, in this economy - even this guy. Of course, he might have some sort of exit-package or "parachute" - who know's.
  2. I do feel a little sorry for him, because wherever he goes - he'll be known as that guy that bluffed Anonymous - and lost.

edit on 2011-2-28 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fixed formatting and spelling.

He may been known as that to some, but if I were him I'd find it much more shameful to be known as the guy using such underhanded tactics. Just a huge creep this guy is. But, challenging Anon and getting taken down would be pretty embarrassing too

As far as his job, I'm glad he's unemployed for the moment He deserves far, far worse. But, if he has a family I DO feel bad for them. Not only because of the possible economic hard times ahead for them, but because their husband/father/etc is such a huge scum bag.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is too little too late...

www.dailykos.com...:-The-HB-Gary-Email-That-Should-Concern-Us-All

If you don't know what's at the core of the HB Gary controversy you definately want to read the linked piece since it very much concerns the internet and likely what's going on in the Middle East right now too.

There is a very real reason why this man is having to step down, and honestly this man belongs in jail, and the whole company put out of business.

For more on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
AHHH, I love it. Survival of the fittest at its best.

The thing I like about it the most is the fact that no matter how much money he or anyone else could throw at this problem, money was not going to buy his way out of this. This is how it is done, remove their power.

Go Anon.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

Anon put this rabid dog down. One more egotistical power elitist out of the game, at least for a while. I doubt he will get any big time gigs for a while, with what was released in those emails and the fact that HBGary was so poorly protected.
The main story link here seems to almost attempt to draw some sympathy for this guy who deserves none.

How many of you read any of the emails that were released? What do you make of Aaron's future in Tech Security or Big Business at large?

threatpost.com

Rabid dog? For some reason, the ability to make undetectable rootkits seems antithetical to a "rabid dog". It requires a large amount of intellectual sophistication to even begin to contemplate this sort of thing.

Though I don't agree with the mans policies... he's far from a "rabid dog"

new topics

top topics

join