It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Need to take a poll here.
How many of you are your friends let your kids facebook
text,or any other kind of social media?
Just wondering cause I tried an experiment and was a
little shocked but not surprised by what I found.
Thanks
Kevin

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I do think FB is potentially dangerous for kids and don't think they should be on it without strict supervision and only for age-appropriate sites and/or social clubs. For example: If the kids are middle school and in team sports, or some school related type thing. Most importantly though, parents need to have access and monitor...

edit on 28-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'm talking middle school(12 yrs old) and beyond.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
im young and i go on facebook and text constently actually im on it right now
i like to use it as a im mostley
2nd line

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Bad parent or good parent.You be the judge.
I let my daughter have a facebook account just to see what goes on
in the minds of her and her friends.
Of course monitored by me without her knowing.
I know what I was up to then at that age.
Just wanted to get a feel of whats going on with this generation.
A real eye opener.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I will say this... I used FB to monitor what teens on my caseload (family counseling) were doing, many of the teens were in some type of adjudicated program and most still had probation to deal with. Now, one would think that in those circumstances, these teens would be smarter about what they put on those pages, and/or allowed others to post about them... Most times, the posts and pictures were such that it could have landed them back in juvie for violations. Seemed like every session started off with me saying something like ... "you know, if I can find this, your probation case manager can find this, what are you thinking!?!"

edit on 28-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: chd wording

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by kdog1982

I will say this... I used FB to monitor what teens on my caseload (family counseling) were doing, many of the teens were in or just our of some type of adjudicated program and most still had parole they had to deal with. Now, one would think that in those circumstances, these teens would be a heckuvalot smarter about what they put on those pages, and/or allowed others to post about them... Most times, the posts and pictures were such that it could have landed them back in juvie for violations. Seemed like every session started off with me saying something like ... "you know, if I can find this, your parole case manager can find this, what are you thinking!?!"

And you are right,and we have lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of this kinda thing,
and she is good,no problems,but her little friends are where my problem lies,and I'm concerned with her
judgement,being caught up with pleasing them to keep or gain friends.
I'm just wondering at what point,if any to contact parents,if it's in my rights as a parent
to do so.Nothing really bad going on ,yet,and would I have some legal problems with this.
They are 12-13 yrs and some I can see where it's leading too.
But alot of it is the cussing and sexual references and mostly linked to the music.
I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination,cause I was smoking and stuff at that at,
just a concerned parent and want to do the right thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I don't think it's really a problem as long as you monitor the usage and are aware of how your child is using the platform. So in your case, I'd say good parent all the way!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I have a few friends and family members who let their pre-teens and teens use facebook. Personally, I disagree with letting them use it especially the pre-teens. Some parents obviously do not monitor their children's use on such things. Most of what I see is a lot of song lyrics because of teens being in love which is more of a personal annoyance. However, I have also seen them add people to their friend lists who they do not know and then post their cellphone numbers. I have also seen a video of a fight at school posted on facebook. It's bad enough I have adults on my friend list with no common sense, but really the same ones should be checking in on their children a little more.

I should say the ones who aren't doing these things are the ones whose parents can log onto their accounts.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm for kids using FaceBook, but not with their real names as screen names.
Also, I want to know the passwords, and ensure their privacy settings are secure.

In addition, they would NOT be able to go online (FB or otherwise) anywhere but in a room I can look over at any minute and see what they are on.

I'd also have all kinds of software to block unsafe sites, track where they go, etc.

Parents have a RESPONSIBILITY for the safety of their children, and while social networking is a valuable skill for their future, they need GUIDANCE on how to use it responsibly....

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Don't have kids. But when I do they won't be allowed a cell until they are an actual adult and they can pay for the bill themselves. As for as net goes, the computer will be in a family space. Where they will be monitored. We were always monitored as kids and had rules, and I'll do the same for my kids.

new topics

top topics

join