It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish family's sailboat hijacked in Indian Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Danish family's sailboat hijacked in Indian Ocean

news.yahoo.com

COPENHAGEN, Denmark – Pirates have hijacked a Danish sailboat with four adults and three children aboard as they were crossing the Indian Ocean, Denmark's government said Monday.

Most hostages captured in the pirate-infested waters off East Africa are professional sailors, not families. Pirates are not known to have captured children before.

The Danish Foreign Ministry said the ship sent a distress signal on Thursday. On board was a Danish couple, their three children — aged 12-16 — and two adult crew members, also Danes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

"It has now been confirmed that the sailboat was hijacked by pirates in the Indian Ocean," the ministry said in a statement.

Two days before the Danish sailboat sent the distress signal, four Americans were killed by Somali pirates in a hostage standoff. They were the first Americans slain by Somali pirates since a wave of attacks began six years ago.

Danish Foreign Minister Lene Espersen said she was "deeply concerned" about the situation and expressed her sympathies to the Danes on the boat and their relatives.

"It is almost unbearable to think that there are children involved and I can only sharply denounce the pirates' actions," Espersen said.

Such arrogance by this Danish family to attempt to go to Somalia. These poor Somalian fishermen now branded by the U.S. as pirates are defending their country. The family should suffer for their arrogance. You should give sympathy for the Somalians for what they are doing.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe someone else has suggested this, but I haven't seen or heard it anywhere.

Since it takes a fairly large boat for the pirates to go out a couple hundred miles into the Indian Ocean, why doesn't NATO or the UN authorize a mission to fly in and destroy the larger boats?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Is that sarcasm? or are you just ... inhuman?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well I have to say, use your head. If I had a boat I sure as hell wouldn't be sailing to Somalia. Sorry for the family but , common sense.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glowstickk

Is that sarcasm? or are you just ... inhuman?

Based on other deltaboy threads, I took it as sarcasm.

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
OMFG!!!!!!!!! IS THERE ANY NATION OR GROUP OF PEOPLE LEFT WITH ENOUGH BALLS TO GO OUT THERE AND WIPE THESE PISSANTS OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL?!?!?!?!?!?!

rediculous......... these are international waters that this "CONTINUES" to happen in. stop the political correctness BS and take back the waters already!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

- one word - AFGHANISTHAN
- one pottery barn rule - you break it you own it ...
- do you really want to rebuild Somalia

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Himal
reply to post by wingsfan

- one word - AFGHANISTHAN
- one pottery barn rule - you break it you own it ...

I don't care about somalia, I mean bringing back some sort of order to international waters. I don't see whats soo difficult in taking some guns out in those waters and taking these boats out. how does that equate to invading thier country???

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Sounds like its time to put a few Seal Teams on sail boats.

That could be a lethal surprise for some pirates at the least.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Very witty and clever sarcasm!!!

If the powers that be wanted the pirates gone; they would be gone rest assured. For some reason, probably having something to do with obscure diplomatic regs or outright corruption...they are allowed to operate.

These crimes have been going on far to long for there not to be some conspiracy. imo

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
While I have great sympathy for this family, especially the children, and hope for their safe release, you have to ask. Why? Do people take off on sail boats with no clue of the area they are traveling? A quick google search would have informed them that this is not a safe area for a leisurely tour. Especially on your extravagant (well... at least expensive) yacht.

Not to stray from topic but... Here in the States if you knowingly put yourself in a situation where you will require rescue you may be billed for those services. No source but it seems I remember some cave explorers who had to be rescued after intentionally going further than their experience level. After all, if they didn't return, rescuers would come after them.... They were billed for the rescue efforts.
edit on 28-2-2011 by Larrelye because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
with all the "protection" why and the hell do we keep letting this happen? Just take the SOB's out and ask questions later.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

No but we need a new glass factory

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The trick is figuring out who the pirates are. They're not stupid you know.

Go out there with RHIBs, frigates, and helicopters, and the guys you're looking for are going to be towing lines and casting nets. They're not going to stick out from the usual in that part of the world. Now if no show of force is around and some defenseless boat or other show up, the nets or lines are cast aside and the real tools of the trade are brought to bear.

Now if you want to go and inspect every boat that appears to be fishing or otherwise minding its own business you might be able to do something about the pirates. Not only is it a waste of resources to police such a large area, but then you'd get legitimate fishermen and others seriously p.o.'ed and raising protests about being harassed for nothing. This is an even more difficult problem when there's supposed to be sovereignty and dealing with international waters, you just can't easily force something like the TSA on everybody.

The only way to effectively deal with it is to either avoid sailing through dangerous regions in the first place, or wait for a bunch of peers or some navy ship or other to show up and convoy up when making passage though such waters.

new topics

top topics

join