It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States has frozen $30 billion in Libyan Gov. assets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

United States has frozen $30 billion in Libyan Gov. assets

www.cnn.com

The United States has frozen at least $30 billion in Libyan government assets, a U.S. Treasury official announced Monday -- one of a series of steps being taken by international leaders designed to break strongman Moammar Gadhafi's grip on power.

The $30 billion is the largest amount ever blocked under any sanctions program, according to David Cohen, the acting Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
nationaljournal.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
abcnews.go.com
www.miamiherald.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Not that I am for the dictator Gadhafi in any sense, but I think people need to learn how our government works.
Imagine the people of the USA freezing our government assets because we don't believe in what they are doing is right. We fight and kill the poor peoples of other nations, but yet we are in debt beyond belief. Why can't we freeze our own assets if most of the population is against the Iraq war?

I think the USA is the pot calling the kettle black here. There has to be some other motive behind the move to freeze Libyan assets besides ousting a dictator. The USA has propped up more dictators then any other country in the world - but yet decides it can freeze that countries assets on a whim?

I think Gadhafi needs to step down - go away, or what ever - but imagine if "we the people" froze our own government assets - there would be hell to pay.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The "assets" were most likely financed by the good ole' U.S.A anyway....

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Exactly! See? this is what people need to know.

I do believe the dictator needs to get out of town - but yet, how many dictators are we talking about when discussing the USA? The banks are the ones that froze the assets at the dictation of the government.

Strange times.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

exactly what I was thinking

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Who collects the interest while these assets are sat there out of reach of the owners?

Free money if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I bet Tony Blair will be wondering if Gaddaffi paid him his millions for being his advisor before his assetts were frozen?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Who collects the interest while these assets are sat there out of reach of the owners?

Good question... I will take it off of the governments hands, even haul it away myself! Hey! If you want I will even split it 50/50 with ya

top topics

join