It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derren Brown Messiah / How to convert an Atheist into a Christian by touch a must watch for all ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
reply to post by The Djin

Hi Djin,

nice to see you back. I was for a while worried, that the Opus Dei guys had gotten to you. These days I always lock my door at night.

Did you ever read R.A.Wilson's 'Illuminatus trilogy'? There's a passage, where one of the definite anarchistic main-characters demonstrates something he calls: 'The bavarian firedrill'. Making everybody in a public place react like a zombi. It's deeply rooted in us.

E.g. I would rather listen to endless evangelism, than to take out my private parts in public. I'm a bit impressed about people being able to do such.

edit on 1-3-2011 by bogomil because: spelling

Lol you never cease to amuse me dude, I was out of circulation a while following surgery nothing serious lo and behold praying to jesus failed miserably so had to rely on satans surgeons.

No I haven't read Illuminatus but now that you recommend I most certainly will and be on to my local library as we speak as you have tickled my interest with "The Bavarian firedrill" .

Thanks dude

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by HunkaHunka

In defence of Djin and other members who don't know
how to embed videos

Did it occur to you to help less computer savvy members
out?Probably not!
I just learned to copy and paste in the last 6-8 months and
my IQ is above room temperature!

As ever M you excel in etiquette and a fine example of any cause that is worthy of you

(see i didn't give an inch then ?lol
By the way M I may well have known Hunka Hunka in a past life
your own observations of his post will give you an idea of whos blood may have been let on many occasion )

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Contacts related to Derren browse the ATS forums, very often a topic will appear here and then shortly after be referenced on his website blog

he's a very clever chap that's for sure using subliminal mind techniques for lots of his illusions and he's a fantastic artist/painter.
let down more recently by his lottery prediction fiasco where he used a cheap camera trick to predict the UK national lottery - www.youtube.com... - a prediction must be made before the event which this stunt clearly did not.
edit on 1-3-2011 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Great story , glad to see you've kept you own mind and are here to share with us another persons experience of seeing right through the deception

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

This is just a atheist prophet to those who wish to be willingly ignorant. God bless.

Derren Brown doesn't preach or prophesy he is an entertainer for goodness sake send him an email and ask if you want. Duh

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here's a video that explains the issue:

This is not really about Christianity or conversion; it's about suggestion and hypnosis. It is amazing to me how suggestive this group is. Basically these people have lost it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

You wrote:

["Secondly historically it has been shown that most of the sites were there, which does not allow for complete debunking."]

In two thousand years from now it can be shown, that New York existed (Spiderman went to college there). It can also be shown, that many of the locations where the films were made are real. Spiderman as 'real' person can't be debunked completely.

Quote: ["This is just a atheist prophet to those who wish to be willingly ignorant."]

How do you define 'ignorant'? As people disagreeing with you; as people not using 'faith' as a guideline (then what about muslims?); or as people who use a lot of time on the epistemology of science, logic and theology, but nonetheless arrive at different conclusions than you.

MY personal definition of 'ignorant' would be a person who from a self-contained doctrinal system based on circle-argumentation self-proclaims him/herself as 'wiser' than non-believers. In technical terms this is 'delusional megalomania'.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

SHHHHH dont tell them that, it makes people angry when you throw kinks into their anti religion crusades

which is quite funny to me, because they call religion hypocritical and hateful.........

Yet they turn around in their atheism or agnosticism and do the EXACT same thing......

Forrest, trees...........kettle.......pot..............etc etc ad nauseum

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If anyone does not think that there are "plants" or "ringers" in his audiences, then I would disagree.

This is nothing more than hypnosis. And I don't buy it.
There has to be a willingness on the part of the subject. Why do you think he had several people LEAVE? Because they were not suggest-able, or were not willing to simply play along. They knew it was bull#. Not because they were,"Uncomfortable with the "instant conversions" ". Come on!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

HAHAHAH You talk about gullible and deluded people YET you don't have the sophistication required to embed a youtube video on ATS.

Unusual for me I agree with Mamabeth.

I will even go a bit further and pretend I'm slightly offended. You see, I'm almost imbecile, when it comes to computers, though I can understand the implications of quantum mechanics and can repair a car. With help I can even boil an egg.

So is THAT your measure-tape for human qualities. Isn't it in your lingo called a 'nerd'?

My measuring tape is how much one doth protest. For example, in the case of the OP he/she claims the stupidity of one group while showing their own stupidity at the same time. In this case, they cancel each other out and become uniquely hilarious.

I don't play tuba either. Does that make me 'stupid'?

It would if you hated on folks who couldn't play an instrument.

Does 45 years of intensive and active interest in existential questions on my part de-stupidify me? Or is computer-handling or tuba-playing an intrinsic 'MUST. The OP relates directly to the parameters of the situation, without any detours into the ability to grow potatoes.

Anytime we show our own stupidity while at the same time hailing the stupidity of others, then we are by definition hilarious.

So now you have very cleverly stupidified, those who are stupidifying, those who are stupid.

Unfortunately you're not living up to your own inclusive definition of being hilarious at the same time. You're rather un-funny (in my humble opinion).

And now I have told you that you are stupid, because you have called somebody stupid, who has called somebody stupid...sorry I lost count.

But anyway, it's your turn now. Anything to derail a christian-critic thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You wrote:

["This is not really about Christianity or conversion; it's about suggestion and hypnosis. It is amazing to me how suggestive this group is. Basically these people have lost it."]

The main claim here is, that much religionism IS suggestion and hypnosis. This is a not a theology debating thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

SHHHHH dont tell them that, it makes people angry when you throw kinks into their anti religion crusades

which is quite funny to me, because they call religion hypocritical and hateful.........

Yet they turn around in their atheism or agnosticism and do the EXACT same thing......

Forrest, trees...........kettle.......pot..............etc etc ad nauseum

Can't say I've noticed much 'hate' on this thread. Mostly some crude, but hearty, humour.

E.g.: Are you feeling persecuted now? A common christian reaction to criticism.

Did I actually say something funny just now, or did I only believe it? Can you turn it around and find me involuntarily funny?

There are sooooo many ways with words.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

I'm highly critical of Christianity... What I'm not is someone who thinks that faithful adherents are idiots or gullible.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You will find that every mode of consciousness which we refer to as reality is truly hypnosis.

There is no level of sobriety which is anything more than a state of consciousness which was induced by hypnosis.

Consciousness is like clay... it has no "true form" it is simply molded.
edit on 1-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I like Derren Brown, and he's a master at using suggestive speech and body language cues, but people also need to realise that he's above all else a magician, entertainer and showman, and that the content of his shows sometimes involve stooges, hand-picked participants, editing, and a misrepresentation of how a sequence of events actually unfolded.

His infamous lottery ''prediction'', for example, actually involved no skill on his part ( other than acting ! ), as the trick was achieved by whoever the technician was who performed the split-screen camera shot.

On another show, I saw him accurately tell everybody someone's 4-digit ticket number, despite the fact that the ticket never left the man's wallet, which shows that - barring the possibility that Derren Brown is clairvoyant
- the participant was a stooge or that Brown was privy to some prior knowledge of the ticket number.

It's not that I'm attempting to besmirch Brown's abilities, I'm just pointing out to those who are unaware of him and his shows, that he is primarily an entertainer, and his shows are more entertainment than entirely factually based.

edit on 1-3-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You wrote:

["This is not really about Christianity or conversion; it's about suggestion and hypnosis. It is amazing to me how suggestive this group is. Basically these people have lost it."]

The main claim here is, that much religionism IS suggestion and hypnosis. This is a not a theology debating thread.

Your second sentence contradicts your first, but I agree anyway. So why are we having people suggesting Jesus rules here? That's my issue. If you are familiar with Brown you will know that he is not just about religionism. He is primarily about hynosis and suggestion. That's the part I find fascinating, regardless of the subject matter. I do not think you can successfully extrapolate that religion is simply a matter of trickery. That is way too simplistic.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

You wrote:

["Lol you never cease to amuse me dude, I was out of circulation a while following surgery nothing serious lo and behold praying to jesus failed miserably so had to rely on satans surgeons."]

Dude, you could 'ave U2U'd me.

I do (free) distance reiki-healing also, and to everybody's great surprise it functions. Not least mine, as I don't really believe in reiki-healing, and I only became initiated as a reiki-healer to test the claims around it.

This can even be controlled under clinical conditions, where the religious/other faith-elements can be excluded.

So all you christians, who stubbornly and quite against all excessive semantic efforts STILL refuse to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, there IS space for some 'majic' and we could talk about it without becoming evangelistic.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

reply to post by bogomil

I'm highly critical of Christianity... What I'm not is someone who thinks that faithful adherents are idiots or gullible.

Glad to see we agree on something.

You MAY have noticed, that us monomaniac christian haters who theoretically want to tear down churches and forbid bibles altogether, are so sly, that we mostly direct out unreasonable venomous hate and intolerance towards the easy prey of extremist christians, who want to interfere in our lives.

We thusly restrict ourselves only because it would look bad to attack the decent non-invasive christian, and we'll do anything to look like the good guys. Besides we are too much cowards to burn down churches in reality.
edit on 1-3-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

edit on 1-3-2011 by bogomil because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

You wrote:

Your second sentence contradicts your first, but I agree anyway. So why are we having people suggesting Jesus rules here? That's my issue. If you are familiar with Brown you will know that he is not just about religionism. He is primarily about hynosis and suggestion. That's the part I find fascinating, regardless of the subject matter. I do not think you can successfully extrapolate that religion is simply a matter of trickery. That is way too simplistic.

You DO know the difference between theology and religion, don't you?

And if you read my posts again, you'll find, that I don't put up any black/white options on theism/non-theism. But it's kind of digressing from topic to go out on the branch of epistemology, cosmogony and cosmology in general or in context of a specific religion.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The main claim here is, that much religionism IS suggestion and hypnosis.

I don't think that that's really demonstrable. As I said earlier, these sort of theatrics are only practiced by a small segment of Christians -- I've never seen a faith healing or person fall over in church, and as I only attend Methodist and Catholic churches, I doubt that I ever will.

One might claim that Benny Hinn, for example, does such things, but the burden is then on them to prove it (this video is proof that Brown can manipulate people, nothing more) and even if it is so shown, all it demonstrates is that Benny Hinn can manipulate people.
edit on 1-3-2011 by adjensen because: clarification

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join