It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last U.S. World War I veteran Frank W. Buckles dies at 110

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Last U.S. World War I veteran Frank W. Buckles dies at 110

www.washingtonpost.com

In 1917 and 1918, close to 5 million Americans served in World War I, and Mr. Buckles, a cordial fellow of gentle humor, was the last known survivor. "I knew there'd be only one someday," he said a few years back. "I didn't think it would be me."

His daughter, Susannah Buckles Flanagan, said Mr. Buckles, a widower, died of natural causes on his West Virginia farm, where she had been caring for him.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This guy's story is fascinating. Not only did he serve in WW I, but he was also a prisoner of war during World War II when Japana invaded Manilla--where he was held in captivity for 3 years.

110 is almost double the average life expectancy.

According to Mr. Mr Buckles's, the secret to longevity:

When you think you're dying, his son-in-law once heard him quip, don't.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Fascinating story! Thanks for sharing this. Mr.Buckles was a true American hero.

I can't imagine living through the first world war and then having to spend over 3 years in captivity during WWII.

The conditions under which the Japanese held prisoners was appalling to say the least.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
God bless and rest in peace - From i'm sure all of England and the United Kingdom.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
May this Honorable man, with courage, and the fortitude to live his life.....may he finally find his peace~

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
wow.. one of the last heroes its true when they say " they dont make men like they used to"

I think good people are rare in general but Frank W. Buckles a true American a survivor. you will be remembered!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Damn. Really makes you think huh? I know I won't be the last sole survivor of the OIF series but still history will be written on our actions there and my participation there as well. To live long enough to see future generations put it all on the line is just mind blowing. $&F for some deep thought.

new topics

top topics

join