It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Remove Flouride From Water?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I would like to know how to best remove flouride from water from my fellow ATS members? Can you boil it out? I feel this is important to our survival so that is why I put it in this forum

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

My watermaker on my boat does.
i guess to can rig it to your house some how,.

What does it remove from water? Watermakers are excellent for removing substantial amounts of most inorganic chemicals (such as salts, metals, minerals), most microorganisms including cryptosporidium and giardia, and most (but not all) inorganic contaminants. Watermaker units successfully treat water that contain dissolved minerals and metals such as aluminum, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chloride, chromium, copper, fluoride, magnesium, iron, lead, manganese, mercury, nitrate, selenium, silver, sulfate, and zinc. They are also effective with asbestos, many taste, color and odor-producing chemicals, particulates, total dissolved solids, turbidity, and radium. When paired up with activated carbon pre-filtering (not typically included with most watermaker systems), additional treatment can also be provided for such "volatile" contaminants (VOCs) as benzene, MTBE, trichloroethylene, trihalomethanes, and radon. Essentially, reverse osmosis is capable of rejecting bacteria, salts, sugars, proteins, particles, dyes, heavy metals, chlorine and related by-products, and other contaminants that have a molecular weight of greater than 150-250 daltons. The separation of ions with reverse osmosis is aided by charged particles. This means that dissolved ions that carry a charge, such as salts, are more likely to be rejected by the membrane than those that are not charged, such as organics. The larger the charge and the larger the particle, the more likely it will be rejected.

Link

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

That's awesome! So you live on your boat and are pumping water from the sea and drinking it straight from the pump?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Most tradtional methods, are reverse osmosis. the problem is, it wases more water than it makes, typically yuo waste 3 gallons for every gallon made. and..reverse osmosis strips other things yuor body and bones need as well, minerals, ect. you could try buying a distiller i guess. i use a twin countertop in kitchen...one is a 6 filter in one, from crystal quest, and other fitler is a multi stage with activated alumina...its reomves up too 80% of fluoride, well cuts it down too 0.5 PPM.
other tahn that, not intriducing fluoride to the water system is the key.fluoride is not easy to remove from water. also, their is no real affordable shower filter that does that..thier is one i saw a while back, but goes for like $280!!!
you could try a whole house set up, 3 stage system maybe set in at point of entry of water.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
you cannot boil fluoride out of water. it will condesne it in the water by boiling it. concentrate it rather.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
you cannot boil fluoride out of water. it will condesne it in the water by boiling it. concentrate it rather.

Not if you drink the steam from the boiling water.. You can set up your own distillery quite easily..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

So I am invisioning a big pot with a lid on it and perhaps a pipe out the top that can reach up and over to a nearby jug. So when I am boiling it.......the steam will fill the jug with clean water? I am not to familiar with the distillation process so do you think this will work? Forgive me for the naivity on this particular matter but perhaps a brewery would have some thing to make this an easy type of set up?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Yes, Thats how we get water. sometimes we pump for people in need of fresh water when we are over there.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The British Berky system has flouride filters available for their units. I would think distilling would work also but then you'll need a fuel source. Solar distillation is an option as well. How much water are you talking about and what are your other options. I use a spring water service for drinking water but wish I had a well.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

3 ways.
5 stage filter, expensive.
Distilling, also expensive and slow too.
Reverse osmossis filter very very expensive, a lil faster, did i mention expensive?
In order to be effective you would have to remove the fluoride from all water coming into your dwelling.
Bathing or showering allows your skin to absorb fluoride, although showering would be worse imo as there is steam.
But now that i put some thought to it, the fluoride would not travel in the steam, otherwise distilling would not work.
Ahhhhh but i should have listened in chemistry, but i retired as a plumber so water and the like is something i do know.
Only 3 methods to rid fluoride as far as i know.
Hope that helps!

(Edit) just for giggles, i use a 23 Quart presto pressure cooker and attach a copper tube to the pressure release tube.
Pot was bout $90. and the tube i had, bout $10. solar, gas or electric it can distill. solar is the cheapest however.

edit on 28-2-2011 by g146541 because:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Correct. I never had this problem as I dump the brine back into the see. but in this case is they have a well system then can do the same or put the brine in a gray water tank to water the yard. etc.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
distilling is the only method that can make elementally near perfect h20, and will rid it of fluoride and all other impurities

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by starshift

I saw that system and I am a little hesitant to use anything with a simple filter on it. You have to keep buying filters for it to be usable and what if we are in an emergency situation and you can no longer buy the filters? So back to ground zero.......

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
reply to post by starshift

I saw that system and I am a little hesitant to use anything with a simple filter on it. You have to keep buying filters for it to be usable and what if we are in an emergency situation and you can no longer buy the filters? So back to ground zero.......

well in an emergency situation, you can still drink fluoridated water

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Distilling removes the fluoride - but sadly I have heard it also removes most of the good nutrients as well (i do not know if this is true though)
edit on 28-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

would you want to? have you seen this Video of "What Advanced Chronic Fluoride Poisoning Looks Like"

I would not try to save $$ on this

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn
reply to post by ziggy1706

Correct. I never had this problem as I dump the brine back into the see. but in this case is they have a well system then can do the same or put the brine in a gray water tank to water the yard. etc.

I wouldn't water the yard with brine. I think salt water kills grass and other plants.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I bet many people would appreciate more information on your distiller setup. I have a small pressure cooker and you've piqued my interest. Maybe an "instructable" would be helpful.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by linux2216

It would not be salt water from a public water system. it would be the leftovers that you filtered out.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

So if I go your route and use the pressure cooker and copper tubing about how much of the flouride do you think it would take out? All of it or just most of it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join