It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

theres is a on going world wide problem of adult and teenage Suicide rates going up every year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
we need to to pay close attention to this difficult yet delicate issue...

what exactly is causeing these people to end their lives early , what are the warning signs and what preventive mesures are being offered to these people who seriously need our help.....

en.wikipedia.org...

Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself") is the act of a human being intentionally causing his or her own death. Suicide is often committed out of despair, or attributed to some underlying mental disorder which includes depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, alcoholism and drug abuse.[1] Financial difficulties, troubles with interpersonal relationships and other undesirable situations play a significant role.[2]

Main article: Epidemiology of suicide Deaths for self inflicted injuries per 100,000 inhabitants in 2004.[83] unknown 33 Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death worldwide[1] with about a million people dying by suicide annually.[84] According to 2007 data, suicides in the U.S. outnumber homicides by nearly 2 to 1 and ranks as the 11th leading cause of death in the country, ahead of liver disease and Parkinson's.[85] Worldwide suicide rates have increased by 60% in the past 50 years, mainly in the developing countries. A disproportionate amount of suicides in the world occur in Asia, which is estimated to account for up to 60% of all suicides. According to the World Health Organization, China, India and Japan may account for 40% of all world suicides.[86] In the U.S., the rate of suicide is increasing for the first time in a decade. The increase in the overall suicide rate between 1999 and 2005 has been due primarily to an increase in suicides among whites aged 40–64, with white middle-aged women experiencing the largest annual increase.[

from what i can gather there are tons of place people like this can go to get help yet some never do or the help that their getting is not enough...

www.mind.org.uk...

this thread in written in the loving memory of my brother inlaw to whom for years suffered from mental illness , drug abuse cancer, and alcahol abuse....

for my sister whos now a widow as of today with 4 young kids to raise on her own...

if you are feeling this way i beg you to get help as much help as you can . believe me when say i life is worth living if you are willing to put in the effert ...

edit on 27/2/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
kids are just lazy, feel sorry for themselves, victimize themselves, thinking they are the only ones to experience heart ache, take the easy way out..mind you i believe allot of it is just attention seaking and others just need to be informed that they arent alone and its part of life to feel depression, anxiety and saddness after all the world is full of depressing things its pushed on us everyday through media...its only natural to feel that way..however i also feel that these kids that think their life is over cause they were dumped or no one gets them...well i have news for u..at that age you have no life..living at home no bills or responsabilty...it gets worse but u learn and grow and move on.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The world is just getting so difficult now. People find it hard to find work, hard to afford things and it's hard to see it ever changing.

I think some suicide cases are due to people just giving up because they feel hopeless.

Help needs to come in the form of creating better lifestyles for one another, we work too much and play too little!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This would be a totally different world if we didn't have all the mind control TV crap infecting everyone's mental well-being. It's hard for people to love themselves with such a sick culture being put upon kids and young adults, the demoralization of a nation.
I would call Homeland Security on the real terrrorists who run America, but DHS are just taking names of those who notice what's really going on.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gmac10001

Attitudes like this are probably a part of the problem- the majority of people only care about themselves, and can only see the world through their shades, and lack the ability to put themselves in other peoples' shoes.

Anyway, playing devil's advocate, if your misanthropic view is correct, and it really is natural for us to feel this way, then what's the point of life at all? I don't really see much point in living, or life, if the fundamental "purpose" of it is to be miserable.
edit on 27-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
kids are just lazy, feel sorry for themselves, victimize themselves, thinking they are the only ones to experience heart ache, take the easy way out..mind you i believe allot of it is just attention seaking and others just need to be informed that they arent alone and its part of life to feel depression, anxiety and saddness after all the world is full of depressing things its pushed on us everyday through media...its only natural to feel that way..however i also feel that these kids that think their life is over cause they were dumped or no one gets them...well i have news for u..at that age you have no life..living at home no bills or responsabilty...it gets worse but u learn and grow and move on.

exactly !

i was one of those teenages guess what i grew up and now am just about to take charge of my life and make changes for the better ...

i had a awesome loving family a little or should i say majorly disfunctional but we still love each other and we are close knit always have been ...
i believe if you love somebody deeply enough ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE that includes helping them find happyness like i have and keeping it setting goals .... how i keep my happyness so i dont lose my mind is i find something to laugh at daily ..... laughter is the key and feeling loved and giving love ....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001

There is a lot of truth to this perspective, but it's important to remember that it feels really, really real for a lot of people experiencing it...so you have to be a little careful with this kind of explanation, because when you tell somebody that they don't have a right to feel the horrible thing they are feeling, it makes them even more isolated, desperate, close to the edge. Acknowledging other people's subjective pain as real, even if we think they are weak and have a low pain tolerence, is part of extending human dignity to others.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Suicide is a selfish act and actually I honestly believe it is a person's right to either accept god's gift he has given us or reject it. If a person wants to kill themselves and I am not trying to be insensitive but it is their right to live and their right to die. If they didn't have right to die then living wills in regards to if I was in a coma on life support then pull the plug would not be upheld. Simply put they make their own decisions as to whether the choose to try to get to heaven or fail miserably and burn. Regardless it is selfish on the loved ones to try to keep a person alive for their own happiness even if the person doesn't want to fight anymore with cancer, aids or some other illnesses. Its cruel and inhumane and its their choice. Your sister inlaw or the kids may be grieved but I am sure the longstanding harm of morale and possibly life threatening mental illness could infact do more harm over time than a swift bucket kickin session. I don't want you to hate me for my opinion but I do want you to know that I feel bad for the kids and your family for the grief you suffer.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that people don't feel like they have community. That's something the developing nations have. Things are more centralized around individuals. Better family, better village/city, more meaningful work. Going to work somewhere that just by walking into the door you feel displaced. Added to that the low pay which is becoming more and more commonplace.

People are shockingly separate from Nature, it's foreign to most. Some even hate it, can't be healthy.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I feel the problem is that we aren't allowed to simply work hard and enjoy our lives the way we please, they've done their best to prevent that. If a man so pleases he should able to build his damn home himself, grow the plants he wants, and raise some animals. The real problem is, they've stripped us the right to pursue happiness.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I agree that much of the cause is in the media that constantly pushes depressing or fear-inducing images into our minds. We're taught to fear strangers, different races, different religions, etc. etc. and at the same time taught that we can't do anything about it. The media these days have very few uplifting stories, and certainly none of the reality shows can be called uplifting. It is easy to fall into depression in such an environment, and it requires the strong support of family and friends to get out of that depression. I find not watching so much TV to be a help, and also getting back to nature helps me relax. I try to find at least one bright spot each day, such as the antics of a bird on the tree in my yard.

For the OP, I would just like to extend my sympathy and my best wishes to your sister. I'm sure with your help, she'll get through.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

you obviously just take what you want from comments..i said it is natural to feel this way when there is so much saddness in the world pushed on us in the media...it would be natural to feel great if great stories of inspiration was shown to us but that doesnt sell news does it...we like destruction and trauma (speaking about the majority)
again you read into it what only u wanted to acknowledge which gave you the chance to pipe up and play the civil hero you think you are with better morals and thoughts compared to the rest or me. It isnt minds like mine that contribute to the problem it is minds like yours that think everything is just a matter of chance and they are at fault with no catalyst aiding their decisions to off themselves....It is know that kids are lazy and when not properly guided are more likely to give up..dont bad mouth me cause i bring a little bit of truth to it...but then your life must be just great with puppy dogs and rainbows..grow up and wake up do yourself a favor ..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3warped3
I agree that much of the cause is in the media that constantly pushes depressing or fear-inducing images into our minds. We're taught to fear strangers, different races, different religions, etc. etc. and at the same time taught that we can't do anything about it. The media these days have very few uplifting stories, and certainly none of the reality shows can be called uplifting. It is easy to fall into depression in such an environment, and it requires the strong support of family and friends to get out of that depression. I find not watching so much TV to be a help, and also getting back to nature helps me relax. I try to find at least one bright spot each day, such as the antics of a bird on the tree in my yard.

For the OP, I would just like to extend my sympathy and my best wishes to your sister. I'm sure with your help, she'll get through.

she will at that ..im here for her and her kids .... hell we have both seen each other at our worst and best .. if anybody knows me better then i know my self its my sister ...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Not really a case of reading what I want, when you specifically say that kids are just lazy and self-obsessed, and that's the reason they kill themselves. Sounds a bit unempathetic to me, and as if you're not giving the issue much weight, by generalising hugely. People who commit suicide do so for a variety of reasons, including some genuinely very serious mental health issues- it's not like they've all just suffered a small setback, and are fed-up. Although, as silent thunder pointed out, small is extremely subjective, in this case.

Additionally, I'm very much a believer in the whole OTT, in your face 24/7 media/modern society is greatly to blame for this- I agree with you, and I never said otherwise. Children are easily manipulated, and once a set train of thought is acquired, it is very hard to break out of.

I think you misunderstood my post- I wasn't saying the world as a whole is all fine and dandy, and you were wrong (I actually think quite the opposite, I dislike the world we've created a great deal, and I'm actually a bit of a misanthrope myself)- I was trying to say, that people don't necessarily experience the extremes of negative emotion, that are required, for someone to consider suicide, on a constant basis, as they grow up- as opposed to the statement you made, that these emotions will only get worse, with age. If they did, this planet would basically be a living hell.

Yes, the situations one experiences will almost definitely get worse, as one grows up, looking at it completely objectively- but suicide is pretty much as far away an issue from objective as you'll find, so the actual experience is pretty much irrelevant, it is the reaction to that experience that is the key.
edit on 27-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Perhaps they're wondering what the point of it all is?

The feeling of helplessness is running rampant in the world and I'm not doctor so I couldn't imagine what could be causing this. I know I do have bouts of the feeling myself. Sometimes I wonder why it's worth the fight even though I know the other guys are going to win, or they already have won. If the threat of being thrown into slavery doesn't get you, then you're going to probably be susceptible to some other form of insecurity brought out by mass media manipulation.

I honestly believe there is a great evil that has grasped this planet and it is trying SO hard to make us humans produce negative energies for it/them to feed upon.
edit on 2/28/2011 by WraithXV because: spelling

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
good. thin the herd.

I'm a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, or Vehement., and I can't think of a better way to stop all the madness than to glorify suicide to anyone who is stupid enough to do it.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Pastafarian

Wow, I bet you're even nicer in person!?

I'll vote for you in the next election, Tsar of population reduction and Eugenics.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
One word can explain this IMO....CONSUMERISM.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

That's right. I even heard of some guys who did it twice (the second time just be sure).

Seriously it should be no surprise that when financial times are tough more people take the easy way out.
edit on 28-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I cant believe noone has mentioned drugs.

www.suicide.org...
www.ritalindeath.com...
www.pbmattorneys.com...
www.psychiatry.info...

Just like there is a direct correlation between the rise in skin cancer and sunblock usage. There is also a direct link between prescription drug usage and suicide (especially children, teens and young adults).

This here www.ssristories.com... is the list to end all lists.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join