It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIRST EVER! – Austinites outbid Police in gun buyback counter-program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

FIRST EVER! – Austinites outbid Police in gun buyback counter-program

deadlinelive.info

Today in Austin TX – Activists were successful in buying TRUNKS full of usable firearms that would have otherwise been destroyed (or ended up in the hands of “terrorists” – as we have seen before how cops confiscate guns and resell them to cartels…)

About 40 gun buyers, both independent and otherwise, stood in front of the Austin Police Gun Buyback Event offering CASH for the guns they were about to turn in to the city for food cards. As people rolled up, we approached them with our offers, and paid them hard cash after inspecting the guns to make sure they were operable. (the Pol
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
LOL!

I wonder if this story will be covered by any of the "press" that was there?

A "counter" gun buy-back program from citizens, to keep weapons from being destroyed, or as this story seems to allude, be sold back to cartels?

I'm surprised that police allowed these folks to do this, but I'm guessing this is legal? No issues of permits required for citizen to citizen sales?

Definitely have to say, this is the first I've heard of citizens showing up and outbidding law enforcement to KEEP weapons in the hands of the public. heh-heh

deadlinelive.info
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I stay in austin and this is news to me. No press covered this at all. They only mentioned 40 guns were sold to a gun association of some sort. But not that people were gettings offers at the door.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Star & flag.

As usual you have come up with another article the mainstream press is trying to bury.

I am glad that private citizens bought those guns.

At this point my distrust of the "government" and its bureaucrats is 100%

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This a great story about a very liberal city, Austin , Tx. !! This story kind of reminds me of our local gun shows, where private people ( non-FFL holders) stand close to the gun show entrance and try to buy all guns coming in before dealers at the tables get a chance. I'm really surprised the Austin police didn't try and bully these private citizens ( the buyers ) away from the area.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Fantastic idea. The next time I hear of a buy back program I will try to set up something like this in my area. Great find, yet another S&F for you.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It was reported by the Austin American Statesman:

Pro-gun activists with Texans for Accountable Government protested the program by advertising a counter Guns for Cash program to people who showed up to trade their guns. Outside the church parking lot, they offered 10 percent more than the value of the gift cards.

Austin American Statesman article
edit on 27-2-2011 by BeenieWeenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It will be a short period of time before:

a: other such instances occur... except the 'regular folks' in front of the police station will be undercover police, feebies, or alCIAda.... (I would include ATF but they're feeling shy right now)

b: the entire exchange will be video-taped for future prosecution and to fill the data files of the fusion centers

c: even simply walking past such transactions will get you on the SPLC/DHS 'threat' list....

Also, should this continue in a benign civil fashion, it will be subjected to agent provocateur counter-intelligence operations to ensure that it is associated with criminals..... and the media will have a new 'production' to foist on us (for profit, of course) ...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Also reported by the biggest TV station...... so no conspiracy here....

A small group of protestors with Texans for an Accountable Government gathered outside the gun buyback program. They are against private citizens giving up their weapons. The group tried to offer cash for people's guns instead of gift cards, and a few took them up on the offer.

KVUE TV Austin

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
actually, my friends and i have been wondering when something like this would happen in any gun buy back programs. due to many popular cable shows dealing with pawn shops and antiques, the general public has become very knowledgeable about the value of handguns and firearms in general. in my state, people are offered $40 per gun. this is sad considering that most handguns/firearms bring $100 or more, fireable or not.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What I found particulary interesting about this story is it seems to indicate a conspiracy taking place in some these "buy-back" programs, with certain law enforcement actually re-selling some of these weapons law-abiding citizens hand over, to cartels / gangs? If that is true, then there is something virtually SINISTER going on in those particular cases, which needs to be SERIOUSLY looked into.

Also, I do think it's sad and quite telling of the times when some folks may be so destitute that they are being driven to turn in their firearms for FOOD CARDS. "Hungry? Just turn in your protections, and we will give you a days worth of food."

edit on 27-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yes, indeed, and the media will report buyback guns intercepted by: "a member of the mexican drug gang Los AlCiadas, who had in his posession a map to get back to Mexico with directions to a cartel armory...."

Or something equally as juicy.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I would imagine this is indeed legal assuming the buyers have the proper licence for purchasing firearms.

I would imagine all they need to do to make this illegal is stipulate within the regulations of holding an FFL that this is not acceptable and can cause your FFL to be revoked. Then next time the cops can just arrest anyone trying to intercept for illegal firearms transactions.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

A reasonable question is: do the guns that get turned in during a buyback get the serial #s entered into the NCIC, and if positive, do they get returned to the rightful owner?

I would love to know the answer to that question. Any LEOs know the answer?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I love my state! God Bless Texas!

By the way, a license is not required for an individual to purchase a firearm. Private party transactions do not even require any documentation.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracytheoristIAM

I wouldn't say Austin is very liberal. I have lived here too. It's very easy to find a lot of young libertarians. I was at the range the other day and there was a group of hippies even dreads shooting. I think liberals here are a lot different than say MA. You won't catch many "liberals" going to the firing range there. Austin is liberal compared to rural Texas fore sure. But it's all relative.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

edit on 27-2-2011 by Movescamp because: Double

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
cheer for a good idea !

nice turn!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

I want to try this route of obtaining pistols and rifles because it is so hard to find person to person sales anymore. Geez I feel bad for the schmucks that give up their guns for food cards because they probably aren't smart enough to go kill dinner in the woods with it lol! Thats like being hungry and you live next to a river and selling your fishing pole for a snickers bar. A man could sustain himself a lot longer with a gun or fishing pole than a $100 food card that may last his family a week. I have no problem poaching to feed my family only if it is needed and feel the same way if somebody else does it to feed starving people. God didn't put these animals on earth just to look at.
In the state of Missouri you do not need paper work for person to person transfers either and it should always be that way in my opinion because it is really nobody's business, not you not them, not anybody's business except the seller and I.
Police thuggery is so wrong on so many levels and they wonder why they are losing public support.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Despite what you've read, we dont have to have a special right to buy or sell gun to each other . TPTB would like you to beleive this but in Texas, it's spimplely not the case. We all need to read our laws and use them as much as we can. Nice job. I for one think we all should speak to each other more often and pratice our god given rights as well as what our founding fathers gave us

top topics

<<   2 >>

join