It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A load of Hot Air so thick you could cut it! Yes Or No? [Caution: contains maths!]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Explanation: Sigh! I told you so!

Liquid nitrogen costs $0.o6c per liter in bulk...

How much does 1 liter of liquid Nitrogen cost? [wiki.answers.com]

A:

One liter of nitrogen can be bought for six cents if by the truckload, or a dollar or two in exceptionally small quantities.
It's actually cheaper to produce than bottled water.

The Price of Nitrogen (2007) [hypertextbook.com]

Liquid nitrogen expands about 22 x its volume... so 1ltr liquid nitrogen expands to fill 22 litres of space with final pressure of 1bar [15psi aprox]

Liquid Nitrogen: A question or two. [sciforums.com]

By Crisp 06-04-04, 05:02 AM
When we take 1 litre of Liquid nitrogen and place it in a pressure vessel made of steel and seal this vessel, so that the vessel contains just Liquid Nitrogen.

Not a good idea. See below.

Does the vessel feel cold on the outside?

Yes. Steel and iron are very good heat conductors (usually good electric conductors are also very good heat conductors). This means that the steel is very good at taking energy in the form of heat from the outside and porting it to the liquid nitrogen. When you touch the vessel with your hand, energy from your fingertips is dissipated (i.e. your fingertip is cooled) and it is this sensation that makes you feel "cold".

Does the liquid Nitrogen remain at it's quantity even though the vessel is cold?

No. The room (the environment) is at roomtemperature, let's say 20°C. This is quite a bit higher than the freezing temperature of nitrogen, which is at 77 K or -196°C. Heat from the room will dissipate through the (nicely conducting) steel to the nitrogen, heating it up and evaporating it. The result will be quite disasterous: if you sealed the steel box, it will explode after a while, because 1 liter of liquid nitrogen will expand to about 22 liters of nitrogen gas.

The total amount of nitrogen is conserved (gas + liquid).

So now we have a hypothetical car that runs on liquid nitrogen...

It has a 1000cc motor and is a V2 engine configuration with 2 x 500cc capacity pistons and a 350 liter tank [1mtr x 1mtr x 35cm = 350 liters [20ltrs above max fill of 330ltrs]

Assume the vehicles mass is not an issue and neither is grip etc for the time being as this is a hypothetical so far.

Now say each liter was applied individually to the engine and ran from 22 Bar down to 1 bar befor next liter was applied.

Say that once up to speed [important consideration overlooked now for ease of discussion currently] each 1 bar [1liter of liquid nitrogen boiled off from 22 bar down to 1 bar in 1 bar increments] of aplied 'Gas' moves what ever mass vehical 50 meters down the road with up to 2 bar in losses [about 10% per 1km traveled] then each 1litre of liguid 'gas' will transport the contents [assumed at max carry mass] and the vehicle 1km in distance.

Now with 330liter max fill tank [350ltrs total at 20-22bar aprox.. glossing over many technical details here ok] thats 330 x $0.06 = $19.80 + say a 20c fee tax charge whatever for nice round $20.oo figure.

Say 300 km max distance with all loses considered in a back of the envelope calculation. So rounding down and being conservative ok.

Thats less than $70.oo per 1000km
or $0.o7c per 1km aprox.

Now whats petrol /per liter in USA?

Oh darn gallons...1 sec...

Google Search: Units Convertion. Gallons to Liters [google.com.au]

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

Average size petrol tank in USA is 16 gallons!

How many gallons does the average gas tank hold? [answers.yahoo.com]

Auto manufacturers in the US tend to size the fuel tanks in their cars to achieve at least 300 miles per tank under normal city/highway driving conditions.

So depending on the average fuel economy (MPG), a smaller car may have a 12 gallon tank, whereas a mid-size car is likely 16, and a larger SUV might be 20+. On average, I would say 16 gallons.

16 x 3.78541178ltrs = 61 liters rounded up

Thats so those who use the S.I. system of units has an easier time doing their own maths...

16 x $5.00 [lowest estimate of petrol/gas cost per gallon as seen on a recent ATS thread] = $80.oo /tank

16 x $5.40 [highest estimate of petrol/gas cost per gallon as seen on a recent ATS thread] = $90.oo [rndup] /tank

300 miles is = 482.8km [rndup to 500km for ease of maths and conservativeness etc]

requiers 2 full petrol tanks to go 1000km = 2 x $80.oo [conservative choice again erring on side of caution etc]

= $160.oo for full 1000km journey.

Now we divide $160.oo [petrol] cost by $70.oo [liquid nitrogen] cost and get ... 2.286 [rndup].

So even if my liquid nitrogen [including all conservative elements etc] was double ineffective it would still beat petrol in cost by 0.25 x better in cost for distance covered.

I hope you enjoyed this dish of cold revenge as I blew off steam and hot air!

Here is why...

Hey Presto! Out of Thin Air! A magical new currency and economy! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-9-2010 @ 05:30 AM ) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: Please search ATS and or Google etc for air powered cars and report back here if your seriosuly interested and post so we can discuss OK!

P.S. Now don't forget THAT I told u so!

edit on 27-2-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add some spaces .soz
me a
:shk: :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Explanation:
OK it responses like this to my threads that make me percieve totally that I'm wasting my time on ATS! Thanks to the member who starred and flagged!

If gas is $ 5.00 dollars a gallon? (by smallblockchevy posted on 25-2-2011 @ 11:20 AM) [ATS]

I would like to hear some input. If the price surges uncontrolably what are you going to do about it. Will you cut back driving leaving only essentials, will you look for thriftier transportation, small car , bicycle , car pool. Would you look at an electric vehicle or even attempt a conversion to an existing one. Lots of ways to look at it. Maybe even a small community ran methane plant, or electric generation. Just looking for opinions not to start an argument. thanks

$5.40 a gallon for unleaded gas!!! (by Fox Molder posted on 24-2-2011 @ 09:06 AM) [ATS]

Can you believe it ! The price of regular gas has just gone up to $5.40 a gallon this morning because speculators think that there might be a shortage due to political instability in the middle Est !!! Traders and speculators are making a fortune based on lies and made up scenarios. As far as we know nothing has changed in the middle Est concerning the amount of crude oil being pumped and exported and if something was to change, it would be to the western world's advantage due to having better control of the distribution and exportation of the product because of assuming control over it.

We are being shafted .......

Car that runs on compressed air gets 200 mpg... (by baddmove posted on 25-2-2011 @ 05:54 PM) [ATS]

Originally posted by baddmove
Thought this was pretty cool...

from 2007..anyone own one yet?

and for all you go-cart enthusiasts..

and you have to have the cool looking taxi too..

edit on 25-2-2011 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

Personal Disclosure: Me and other members are providing SOLUTIONS and yet you YANKS do nothing!

I hope you all roast in the economic climate you have created! I think its time Australia asked the USA corporations and its bases and embassies to leave Australia permenantly as the USA and its citizens are persona non gratia IMO!

I saw Chinese rescue teams in NZ but I only saw Obama make some prayer and goodwill gestures during the recent earthquake in ChristChurch. Its quite obvious who the real mates of the ANZACS are!

edit on 27-2-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fox spelling.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was told there'd be no math.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

top topics

join