It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone : Average of Two Earth Quakes a day...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I think about that question a lot... every hour actually
I have talked about this sort of thing with my household/family... I'll prolly be home... as usual... The life of a conspiracy nut/musician I stay glued to guitars and computers... but I worry about my family that doesnt live with me.. I been thinking about trying to talk to them all and try to come up with some sort of plan.... but they wouldnt believe me... I mean come on the data is there!! But like most people... either too scared or too blind to see what is in front of them....
You know yourself that disaster can strike any second... ChristChurch for reference... So it very plausible and possible that the entire US will go -BOOM-

Its only smart to think about what to do in case this happens... ya know... Thats a very very very good question my friend!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Listen everyone, before you go running for the hills, take some time to look at the average number of quakes in the Yellowstone area for the past decade and beyond!!!!!!!! I live here. They happen all the time. All the time. All the time. Should I repeat myself again? Sure, a big one could happen. Same with California and soooo many other places. Statistically we might be overdue, but hearing about an earthquake here and getting excited only shows you aren't from here. I have been here nearly 30 years. There are volcanoes up and down the west coast, part of the Pacific Rim. Yellowstone is geologically active and an old super volcano. And if the whole shebang bangs, you can hardly run far enough anyway. It would be like a nuclear winter. Please, look up a long term history of seismic activity here. Its a common occurence.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

very good advice...

but thats what i was originally asking... is it normal?
but isnt it also true that its increased and that the floor of the caldera(correct term?) .. has rose in height in the last several years?

While it may be nothing... I'm just looking at the possibility now, if it blows... so will every other magma pit on the west coast...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
For the record...

I hope its normal... i hope its just me, being ignorant not knowing what the hell I talking about!!!
I really do!! Cos If it isnt normal and If what I'm formulating in my head is correct... then that would be very sad

so before I go to sleep tonight I want to make a toast of cranberry juice

-Here is to the west coast and the me being ignorant!-

seriously i'm not joking... I hope time will prove this whole yellowstone thing to be nothing!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceAssassin

I think if it went off, because the crater is about 52 km across, then I would here the bang here in Scotland. The ash coverage would be enough to send the northern hemisphere into an ice age never mind the whole planet. Like another guy said, its well over due a BANG!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

The web site in your OP isn't completely reliable.

If you want info on Yellowstone go to the Yellowstone Thread here - it's up to page 680.
It's full of info, though there is some hot debate going on over there at the moment. But all in all it's got some good info and links.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thank god somebody that knows what there talking about when it comes to Yellowstone.

There is already an extensive thread on ATS dedicated to Yellowstone as Zenius has linked to in there above post. From what I have read and researched myself, its a good thing that there are quakes as it realises pressure. I would be more worried if it went quiet for a long time as this would me pressure build up and no realise.

And as for RSOE website, they never post all quakes. Yellowstone had a quake swarm last year and guess what....we are all still here.

Chill, when the experts in the Yellowstone thread start freaking then so will I.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by leginge

Unfortunately (or is that fortunately), it is unlikely to explode with a huge bang. It is much more likely to erupt in a long and drawn out fashion like St Helens, with a constant eruption column. Unfortunately 2012 decided to have it explode like a nuke... no idea why other than spectacle, I guess.

But two quakes a day? Not really news.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

There's a YS thread with loads of info but here's some more anyhow...

bulging Yellowstone....

National Geo's cool Yellowstone graphics....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Thanks for the map! I'm out today looking for a used salt water boat...from your map I'll not be threatened by a Yellowstone blow-out and if the info I've seen here on ATS about The New Madrid Fault is correct, I'll soon be enjoying ocean front property here in SW Wisconsin.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceAssassin
when it blows im sure someone on ats will have some live feed for us
dam i love this site

yeah most of the them our members have great videos. and then someone will come in and say it is fake lol . and yes this is a dam good site

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It looks like less than 2 a day by my math plus they are all less then magnitude 4.0 so I would imagine thats's somewhat normal for Yellow Stone. I have recently heard YS was increasingly buldging and is becoming more active though. I like to monitor the larger earthquakes (4.0 and greater) on this site.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracytheoristIAM

Your welcome

Good can be seen in all things...
someday maybe you wont have to drive hundreds and hundreds of miles to go to the beach...

It will save you a wad of cash on gas money... haha

joking aside...when and If these events go down... i hope you and yours weather through it fine

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just a note for anyone who wonders if a Yellowstone eruption would affect them: Yes. No exceptions. Even if you aren't affected by the ash-cloud fallout directly, the eruption would inject thousands of tons of particulates into the atmosphere, causing a global wintering effect that would significantly impact crop growth across the world for at least one season, probably more.

Yellowstone's eruption would also be a political game-changer as well. With the immediate vacuum of power that the USA would leave behind, many nations across the globe would jockey to grab territories they want, and settle old scores.

When Yellowstone erupts again it will completely change the face of humanity on this planet. That being said, be cautious when folks say "YS is way overdue for another eruption, etc etc." Geologic time is so vast that our lifetimes are a fraction of a fraction of a second: Just look at how 100 years relates to the time since the last YS super-eruption:

Last super-eruption 650,000 years ago (previous two were 1.3 Ma and 2.1 MA ago)

100/650000=1.538 x 10^-4 (x100 to get %)= .01538%

Our lifetimes are one hundredth of one percent of the time since the last eruption. If it happens, it happens. We would be (in a way) extremely lucky to witness something so immensely rare on our planet. But we can't live in fear of this monster, because A) We are really only guessing as to what the indicators are for an eruption of this scale and B) Odds are simply against us seeing this happen.

edit on 27-2-2011 by blamethegreys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Not an expert but lived near Yellow stone for many years and I don't think it's unusual.

2 a day is not a lot for an area that is so active geologically, With all the geysers and such.

I know someday it will go off again like it has numerous times before but I don't think there will be much warning or foresight before it happens.

And for the other poster, I don't think in the long run it matters which state your in or even which country.

The world will feel the effects of it. Of course if you live close it will be over quickly for you.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If yellowstone erupts, every state would be basically screwed, covered in ash. The entire world could be impacted, and global temps would plummet even more than they already are.
edit on 27-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Nothing you can do to prepare for something like that. Except blow your own head off if that thing erupts, because life is going to suck ballz afterwards.

Unless you're in the government, you might be lucky.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What's going on at Yellowstone?

The above link is to a thread on this topic. Everything you ever wanted to know and then some. For a while, reading the whole thing was kind of a badge of honor

top topics

<< 1   >>

join