It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insects will be the meat of the future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The vast majority of the developing world already eats insects. In Laos and Thailand, weaver-ant pupae are a highly prized and nutritious delicacy. They are prepared with shallots, lettuce, chilies, lime and spices and served with sticky rice. Further back in history, the ancient Romans considered beetle larvae to be gourmet fare, and the Old Testament mentions eating crickets and grasshoppers. In the 20th century, the Japanese emperor Hirohito's favorite meal was a mixture of cooked rice, canned wasps (including larvae, pupae and adults), soy sauce and sugar.

Insects have a reputation for being dirty and carrying diseases—yet less than 0.5% of all known insect species are harmful to people, farm animals or crop plants. When raised under hygienic conditions—eating bugs straight out of the backyard generally isn't recommended—many insects are perfectly safe to eat.

online.wsj.com...

This seems like the perfect solution for our hyperinflation woes. Insects will surely be cheaper than beef or pork, and there is nearly a limitless supply. Bon Appetit, folks!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A bowl of rice and wasps doesn't sound so bad actually! Think I'm gonna give it a try!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Well then I am dead meat. I can't eat anything with a shell or carapace without a trip to the emergency room.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nutritious..... AND delicious.

Add a little cayenne for added kick

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well Id rather have something big then something only as large my pinky finger. No matter how you look at it insects aren't as nutritious and chickens let alone plants which compromise of vast amounts of energy

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Say aaaahhhhh:

Don't know how much of a conspiracy this all is however...wrong forum maybe?
edit on 26-2-2011 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Oh those poor beautiful winged creatures being raised in the millions with only inches of space to move about, never seeing the light of day. And at the peek of their life being killed of just to become a mcfly or buggerking menu.

I could not live with myself! I could not!

Whatyaknow... I'm a vegetarian after all!

lucky me.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I look up to you, sir. If we could all only strive to be more like you.

reply to post by D.Wolf

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If anything is likely the future, it's unlikely this. Humanity will likely return to agrarian society.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
i could see this happening for sure, as a last resort before we start eating each other...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, there are a ridiculously silly amount of insects in the world, and people aren't exactly fond of most of them. So why not do something useful with them, like consuming them?
I hear they are high in protein! xP

Just as long as they don't look like insects when we eat 'em. Press them into a burger shape or something and they'd be more appealing.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
why am I watching this while eating?
I think im gonna throw up -_-

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I will go far to avoid eating bugs.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I am not a vegan but I have a serious question. Could a vegetarian or vegan eat bugs?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I do not believe so. I think the true distinction is between eating animal cells versus plant cells.

What if we could create an amino acid goop that contained no cells from living organisms, yet it could satisfy us nutritionally? What would that be called?

Originally posted by zerotime
I am not a vegan but I have a serious question. Could a vegetarian or vegan eat bugs?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Well unless I get possessed by Horus or turn into a lizard I’m so not going to ever munch on lady bugs.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I believe every human being was a wasp, fly, mosquito, banana tree, mango tree, zebra, kangaroo, elephant or a lion in one of the earlier manifestations.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
god, i would need to spent time with bear grylls....

just to get my mind and stomach in sync with this....

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kojack

Pity he faked half of things he showed us in first seasons

At least he hasnt faked the food part
edit on 26-2-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

like the bug patty he made overnight while out in the sahara, at least my stomach was strong enough to watch lol

i did love the halo jump

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join