It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, when the Apocalypse DOES come... head to the... Library?! (Really!)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
holy synchronicity, batman!

just last night i was thinking how in "the day after tomorrow" the survivors seek refuge in the nyc public library. which led me to thinking how knowledge is always preserved after a great disaster. then i thought back to "the flood" and atlantis. i think what i'm trying to say is that there is hidden knowledge passed on from ancient societies and that there is an innate need to preserve our collective wisdom.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
IF the initial round of looters don't burn the place to the ground in a fit of misanthropy, you'll want to find these sections:

-vegetable gardening
-livestock on a small scale
-emergency medical techniques
-radio repair
-auto repair (chilton's, etc.)
-weather prediction
-food preparation and storage
-soap making, including toothpaste

Thinking about maps:
-You will need maps if your initial bug-out route is blocked by weather or an army of occupation.

-If authority blocks bridges, you may be looking for rail and pipeline maps as a means to traverse large rivers.

-utility easements have paths for maintenance trucks to service the power lines or pipelines. The right map will show you how you could travel cross-country and avoid blocked or choked streets and highways. In urban environments, such utility right-of ways are often left as greenbelts, where a person on foot could travel unnoticed....

obsolete denied.
edit on 4-3-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: it's there!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I PRINT it all out... I dont save it on the computer. Hence I have homemade books and no real need to go to the library.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I'm in Wyoming, which pretty much totally explains the heat packers. Carrying concealed without a permit is even okay here (someone correct me if I'm wrong), which means that at any given moment, there are probably about 10 firearms in the library building.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

Ahh, so much is explained. At some point I wanna head out west, the east is all screwed up. And lostsock, that is a slightly different situation if you already have it printed out.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think a lot of people miss one of the bigger points too, which is that no one loots the library. It is a SAFE place to go. If you need knowledge, that is the place to get it, and if you already have knowledge, that is the safe place to make your plans. Plus, while you are there, JUST IN CASE you forgot something the knowledge is at your fingertips, literally
I think it's really ignorant to discount the library idea, even private homes aren't safe during mass looting but I can think of fewer places that would be safer and more useful than a library in a SHTF situation.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

No one loots the library if they think it has nothing worth taking. That said, most libraries are defendable, being significantly more capable of withstanding small arms fire than your average home is, so if people try to attack you in there you have a much more defendable position.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The funny thing is that my local library is one of the most secure/defendable buildings you could imagine. Multi floored with only two ascendancy points, panoramic views, huge floor area, could be a great base point, as said there is a wealth of useful information in regards to skills/knowledge that would be needed in a new world situation. Plus i love reading, win/win situation.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

S&F

yeah in many scenarios the library is a good firsst start - but if you are at home - you should alreay have your own library prepared maps of everything in a 50km radius @ 1:50000 [ with key arease @ 1:25000 ] should only cost £60 or equivilant

books on basaics - you should already own your own ` core ` collection of 5 to 15 [ dependant on budget / , prior skills and expectations ]

and as for aquiring stuff - i pity the fool who heads for the super market , every idiot and his retarded sidecicks will bee forming a riotous mob

BUT like all things - you should think ahead and avoid the " usual suspects " , like aquiring food etc - only an idiot would head to the local super market , but if you want books etc - the smarter planner - will avoid the local libray and head for the regional book depository [ in the uk the are called ` central libraries ` ] and have only limited public access - so few people know where they are - but they have vastly more usefull texts and records that are not found at branch libraries

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Your local library will be defended and guarded, hopefully, by its own citizens. You can and will be allowed in, if your reasons for being there are not malevolent. The youth and citizens in Egypt defended the Egyptian Museum and Library of Alexandria, January 2011. It was about protecting their heritage and collections. Truely we don't even know what great resources our local libraries contain, cause we rarely visit them anymore. Universities will have larger collections and heirloom archives. Urban libraries will have more copies of the same books.

Previous post thanks for the list of basic knowledge base for survival. That is a comprehensive start. Also look for collections like Foxfire Books, which cover all these categories, except nuclear survival. But thats another topic.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
get a copy of the "foxfire" books ... they are historical accounts of how we used to live before th e modern age. I have found them interesting. I also have looked on youtube for ways to get water out of our well since I live in a rural area. There are many things we can do just by reading and learning "how to" live with electric....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join