It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, when the Apocalypse DOES come... head to the... Library?! (Really!)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
yea, i get that but not to brag... i prolly know more about survival than 90% of all the ppl on here i wont have to go to a library to learn how to make a dabris shelter or to make a solar still or how to tell witch local plants are edible and witch arenot or how to trap, fish or hunt game because i have been doin that since i was 8ys old, and wen it goes down i am gunna wanna stock up and dig in, besides.. un like all the other ppl in the town im in, me, ma family and friends all got B.O.Bs and guns and will bo outa here the sec it goes down. all da stooped gangsters will be runnin round not knowin what to do or where to go.lol

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalloway
You'd be surprised at just how many librarians are straight-up crazy pistol packin' berserkers.

I agree there are some very grumpy librarians at the best of times. Watch your back when going into one, they will proabbly defend the place like no tommorow!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Like the way people rip out the page in the phone book because they are too stoopid to write down the number, Usefull books in the library will be gone.
Plus learning under pressure when there is no safety margin for error is as big a mistake as can be made.
Learn now

PS
stash some books from the used bookstore where (when) they are awsome and cheap.
now

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
true, im sure they thot of this a long as time ago.haha. i bet half of yalls are librarians... thinkin to yourself -yea go a head and try and get into the library, ill be waitin with a sawed off shotgun to blast you and steal your stuff- haha, you crazy old people..lol

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantom150

Originally posted by dalloway
You'd be surprised at just how many librarians are straight-up crazy pistol packin' berserkers.

I agree there are some very grumpy librarians at the best of times. Watch your back when going into one, they will proabbly defend the place like no tommorow!

Yep, you are correct, they will defend the place pretty much to the death. And not because they think the library is "theirs" but because they believe very deeply that the library is "yours", as in the people who live in the communities the libraries serve. Trust me on this. Also, I know very few grumpy librarians. Most of them get their rocks off by helping people use the library.

Pssssst. If y'all haven't figured it out yet, I'm a librarian.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

I think humans forgot how a library looks , what is there , WHERE it is , and how to read a book...

Let alone go to a library during an "apocalypse"...
self induced apocalypse , by the way...
Through THEIR STUPIDITY AND LACK OF USE OF THAT MASS OF CELLS CALLED BRAIN !
good day...

edit on 28-2-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

Future librarian, and I have to agree, some of the librarians I know are not the kind of people who's homes you wanna break into. Aside from the weapons, there's the matial arts. Also, no one person can know everything, so while people may know a little about a lot, for long term survival that just doesn't work. Also having something to take your mind off of things (like a little R.A. Salvatore) is a great way to keep your cool during a SHTF. Not to metion the library in my town would be really easy to fortify it's already made of stone, with heavy wooden doors to the outside.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Hmm.... If time is not necessarily an issue then the Library may be ideal. Make sure you pick up Zombie Apocalypse for Dummies.

Although several of the most important libraries (like Yale's or the library of Congress) are self-sealing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Actually, i just watched this video and the guy makes a pretty good point for Libraries.

Watch if you want don't if ya don't.
Either way, Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack

Future librarian, and I have to agree, some of the librarians I know are not the kind of people who's homes you wanna break into. Aside from the weapons, there's the matial arts. Also, no one person can know everything, so while people may know a little about a lot, for long term survival that just doesn't work. Also having something to take your mind off of things (like a little R.A. Salvatore) is a great way to keep your cool during a SHTF. Not to metion the library in my town would be really easy to fortify it's already made of stone, with heavy wooden doors to the outside.

Howdy, JD! Glad you'll be joining the ranks! What kind of library work are you going for? Funny that you mention the martial arts, because I too know a few librarian avenger black belt types! I'd probably head for the Jim Butcher Dresden Files series. Library in my town would be difficult to fortify, but EVERYONE who works there packs heat, so as long as we had ammo, everything would be cool.

Click here to read about why librarians kick *ss.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindfreak21
if you dont have a masterkey and a bomb shelter,,, im tellin you, wallmart all the way!! there is plenty of books, maps, survival gear, food, water, beer, ammo, guns, chocolate, blankets and pillows, the frnt glass doors are the only real way in besides the back wich will be gaurded, have a fiew guys by the regesters with guns watchin the entrance and get some radios and have men on the roofs with night vision monoculars and binoculars keeping watch... then agean the library bathrooms are usually alot cleaner...hahahahaha

I hate to tell you this, but in a true SHTF scenario, one of two things will happen at your local Walmart.

1) It will already have mass amounts of people looting the building. The scavengers and unprepared will be in a panic and scrambling to meet their immediate needs. Food, water, warmth, gasoline. Attempting to enter yourself into this scenario and make it back out, will be very difficult. Assuming you do get inside and get some supplies you need, there is no promise you will make it out of the parking lot before someone else steals your supplies.

2) In some cases, as with natural disasters, your local Walmart will be guarded by National Guard or Military. Some people will lead you to believe this is not true, but I can assure you this is the case. I see it happen every hurricane season. When a hurricane is going to enter into my area, roughly 48 hours prior to expected landfall you will see National Guard and Military, in full gear and armed, parked and standing guard outside of Walmart and most major food stores. By "major" I do mean corporations such a "Kroger's". Kroger's is a national grocery store chain, you can find them coast to coast. I will always see the place guarded every time, but if I go a few blocks over to "Brookshire Bros" which is a large grocery store, but is locally owned mom and pop style, there is no protection whatsoever.

Now that I think about it, I believe I have some pictures of the Military standing guard outside Walmart on one of my old cell phones that I took just prior to Hurricane Gustav or Hurricane Ike making landfall a couple years ago.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
But geographically if things change what use would this mapping data be?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Actually I dug this up for the case against Walmart.

This video was taken in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, keep in mind this was also taken after the mad rush for supplies took place, the people in this video were late to the looting party.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well it worked on the Day After Tomorrow!

The movie is actually quite plausible. I have a thread on it if anyones interested. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In my location, it's already pretty much an "everyone is bugging out" already situation. Go here www.forbes.com... and click on Wayne County Michigan. While I am not in Wayne County itself, the situation in my own county is pretty much identical and I'm near Detroit.

The reason I'm saying this is because there is very little where I live that would actually require a "bug out of the area" maybe just relocate to safer more defensible ground. The Library is definitely on my list of places in my community worth defending as well as stop number five in my primary bug out plan. After the truck dealership Stop 1) to get a bigger truck with a heavier frame, the RV dealership (2) to grab me something self contained for the possibility of an eventual area bug out (preferably a used diesel pusher bus conversion because of the heavy steel frame which can be reinforced to push other vehicles out of the way if need be as well as carry any others you might happen to pick up along the way).

Then it's on to the grocery store warehouse (3) (where the daily food deliveries come from to the actual grocery stores) to get my food while everyone else heads to the Sav-a-Lots and Wal-Marts, then to the weapons gittin place outside of town (4) that's already in a basically empty area and I know the guy, then to the Library (5) to make some copies of stuff I need information wise that I can't get off the internet anymore BECAUSE IT'S THE FREAKIN APOCALYPSE for those posters who keep insisting that you "can just download it off the internet dude." My Library has a generator in the sublevels that can be fired up for long enough to fire off a few copies for those doubting Thomas' out there....This way, I can leave the books for others if the Library isn't already occupied by Librarians who may or may not want help defending the place, which if that's the case I'll chip in there because it IS worth defending.

Knowledge of everything we would need to keep the basic functionings of life going in my area long enough to use the information there further to put together a more long term plan if it goes that far is located inside that building. The stuff that isn't in the Library, like city plans, are literally a few buildings over. Easy building to lock down

Like the earlier poster mentioned, my Library has a fallout shelter in it which can be set up as living quarters or used as a shelter. It has few windows on the lower levels, and rooftop access with a little wall coming up higher than the actual roof surface. The whole building is brick and concrete and was built long enough ago to be of quality construction.

In essence, it's already a friggin "fortress of knowledge" so it'd be pretty easy to ride out most of the stuff that could go on near me save for a direct nuclear strike or drifting poison wind.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The chinese say that a thing has value because of its usefullness and portability....
Librarians are A-OK in my book.

Alvin Toffler in futureshock wrote:
it will be knowledge about how to use knowkedge that will be valuable....

that $1.98 herb book will be worth more than gold shortly
so will the people who can read it.
git em while they are hot and don't go near the crunch points in a SHTF scenario if you can avoid it...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
well i dont care what all of yalls say.. im gettin there first.. and if you try and stop me and ma pplz from gettin in, youre gunna to have a firefight on your hands

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
While going to the library is a really good idea to look for information some how I feel that a few of you have forgotten something.. the internet is a library of sorts. Most everything I want to know is at my finger tips, I just have to search it out and click PRINT print it out and stick it in a folder and now I have my very own handbook of useful knowledge that I update on a regular basis.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

Dear God loststock. How will you access the internet when all of the servers are down because they have no power? How will you power your computer and printer? All of this needs to be considered.

And good luck mindfreak, if you make it have fun, I'm sure that you are going to give someone a beautiful symphony of gun shots before you go.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

What part of the world are you in? (most the librarians I know don't pack, but then Ct sucks like that)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join