It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Fry Speaks out Aggains the Catholic Church

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Enlightenment is a movement, not a religious idea. The Enlightenment is a project and many people have had many views.

Of course, saying that one agrees with some of the moral teachings found in the Bible doesn't mean he's not an atheist.

He doesn't believe in any deity, this makes him an atheist.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
One thing that blows my mind, all the offshoots that got away from the catholic church, they all hung on to that three-in-one god teaching? That three-in-one god is where the money must be.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by newnature
One thing that blows my mind, all the offshoots that got away from the catholic church, they all hung on to that three-in-one god teaching? That three-in-one god is where the money must be.

Oh squillions, yes! You seem to me to sound rather like Homer Simpson!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Did you do the transcription? Because it has sme glaring language errors that a dyslexic might make, but that Stephen Fry never would..
Even so, I am reading it.
V.

There you go, not reading my post again. And you accused ME of skimming. (Something which is not actually possible when you are dyslexic) I said "I have gone to the trouble of finding you a transcript", and I even included a link to what I had found. So it is self evident that I did not do the transcript. Ther are no language errors in it. I have read it a couple of times and can find no errors, not because I am dyslexic, but becasue there are non.

Back to the point though - your views on his thoughts?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Oh squillions, yes! You seem to me to sound rather like Homer Simpson!

Homer Simpson would have had nothing to do with this Greek thing, but the Romans did?
Alexander the Great, remember, wanted to set up a one world, a universal empire. He taught a sort of syncretism of religion, he taught a common language, Greek, he set up these Greek cities all around; that process is what is called Hellenization, so the Hellenization of the world in that time, the Hellenistic Period. The reason Hellenism is so important, is because what happened to Alexander's empire after he died. After much confusion and fighting among his major generals, after Alexander’s death, Alexander’s kingdom ended up being divided up into four major empires. One of Alexander’s generals Ptolemy II got the Kingdom of Egypt, and set up his own sort of Greco=Egyptian kingdom there. This Greek veneer when on, then came Antiochus IV reign from 175 to 165 BC; while Judah, though, was under Antiochus control a lot of Israelites tried to figure out, how do you deal with this whole process of Hellenization? In other words, if you want your own kids to get ahead in the world, in this time, and you’re going to have an elite family yourself in a town, in a city, it makes sense for your kids to get a Greek education. You want your sons, for example, to be able to speak, and read, and write Greek. In fact, there was conflict in Jerusalem at this time over how much Hellenization you should go alone with. Apparently, a majority of the priests and the lay nobility supported the Hellenizing group, that is the Israelites leaders who wanted to bring more Hellenization into Jerusalem itself. This high priest at this time named Jason, in 175 BC, he built a gymnasium in Jerusalem. Why did he build a gymnasium in Jerusalem? Well, if you’re going to have Greek education, you have to have a gymnasium. This Jason also founded a Greek polis, that is an Greek city structure, and Jason apparently paid Antiochus for the privilege of having Jerusalem recognized as a Greek city. This would have consolidated the power of those Israelite leaders who wanted to press Greek culture more, rather than those Israelite leaders who wanted to hold back on Greek culture. If you control the gymnasium, and you control the means of education, you actually control the citizenry, because you can’t become a citizen of a Greek polis, a Greek city, unless you yourself have Greek education, so sons would=sons of people would go to the gymnasium. Notice what this would do also, it would disenfranchise those leading families, who didn’t want to have their sons Hellenized. By holding the control of the eduction, you disenfranchise conservative Israelites, who are resisting this Greek influence.

These Greeks sure worked them their Romans?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Did you do the transcription? Because it has sme glaring language errors that a dyslexic might make, but that Stephen Fry never would..
Even so, I am reading it.
V.

There you go, not reading my post again. And you accused ME of skimming. (Something which is not actually possible when you are dyslexic) I said "I have gone to the trouble of finding you a transcript", and I even included a link to what I had found. So it is self evident that I did not do the transcript. Ther are no language errors in it. I have read it a couple of times and can find no errors, not because I am dyslexic, but becasue there are non.

Back to the point though - your views on his thoughts?
My thoughts are that I have wasted far too many heartbeats on you. My point about the glaring language errors remains.
The errors do exist.
I will deal with it later when I 1. have time
2. Have a system that is working better than mine is tonight
3. When I can be bothered!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

OK, sounds fair.

I was an IT professional for over 20 years, if you would like some help with your system just ask. I would be very happy to help you.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Shamatt because: spellings!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Homer Simpson would have had nothing to do with this Greek thing, but the Romans did?
Alexander the Great, remember, wanted to set up a one world, a universal empire. He taught a sort of syncretism of religion, he taught a common language, Greek, he set up these Greek cities all around; that process is what is called Hellenization, so the Hellenization of the world in that time, the Hellenistic Period. The reason Hellenism is so important, is because what happened to Alexander's empire after he died. After much confusion and fighting among his major generals, after Alexander’s death, Alexander’s kingdom ended up being divided up into four major empires. One of Alexander’s generals Ptolemy II got the Kingdom of Egypt, and set up his own sort of Greco=Egyptian kingdom there. This Greek veneer when on, then came Antiochus IV reign from 175 to 165 BC; while Judah, though, was under Antiochus control a lot of Israelites tried to figure out, how do you deal with this whole process of Hellenization? In other words, if you want your own kids to get ahead in the world, in this time, and you’re going to have an elite family yourself in a town, in a city, it makes sense for your kids to get a Greek education. You want your sons, for example, to be able to speak, and read, and write Greek. In fact, there was conflict in Jerusalem at this time over how much Hellenization you should go alone with. Apparently, a majority of the priests and the lay nobility supported the Hellenizing group, that is the Israelites leaders who wanted to bring more Hellenization into Jerusalem itself. This high priest at this time named Jason, in 175 BC, he built a gymnasium in Jerusalem. Why did he build a gymnasium in Jerusalem? Well, if you’re going to have Greek education, you have to have a gymnasium. This Jason also founded a Greek polis, that is an Greek city structure, and Jason apparently paid Antiochus for the privilege of having Jerusalem recognized as a Greek city. This would have consolidated the power of those Israelite leaders who wanted to press Greek culture more, rather than those Israelite leaders who wanted to hold back on Greek culture. If you control the gymnasium, and you control the means of education, you actually control the citizenry, because you can’t become a citizen of a Greek polis, a Greek city, unless you yourself have Greek education, so sons would=sons of people would go to the gymnasium. Notice what this would do also, it would disenfranchise those leading families, who didn’t want to have their sons Hellenized. By holding the control of the eduction, you disenfranchise conservative Israelites, who are resisting this Greek influence.

These Greeks sure worked them their Romans?

Sorry, you're somewjhat less comprehensible than the big yellow guy is at his most doh-ish!
???????????????????????????????????????

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
reply to post by Vicky32

OK, sounds fair.

I was an IT professional for over 20 years, if you would like some help with your system just ask. I would be very happy to help you.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Shamatt because: spellings!

Thanks for the offer, but the problem is that here in NZ, our connection speeds and telecommunications generally are the slowest and most expensive in the world - or so Australian colleagues have assured me!
It's nothing that a complete infrastructure overhaul in NZ won't fix - if this present loopy useless bunch of right wing tossers will ever pull finger and do as they keep promising...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Sorry, just trying to show how those creeds got started, because the Romans rode on the backs of what Alexander the great started; who was that Roman emperor dude, Constantine?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Damn! Siunds crap!! I moved to Australia just over a year ago, things certainly are very good here, even better than the UK, which I thought was good while I was there. More expensive though, the way they price things here is very different.

Good luck with your connection.

And lets not forget we can all be friends here on ATS no matter how much we may disagree with each other. I like a good verbal spar, doesn't mean I can't like the person too. In fact, just the oposite - I thank all the people on here with whom I aregue (Well, 1 or two exceptions perhaps) becase without you lot out there I would have no one to debate these things with.

I look forwards to disagreing with you again sometime soon
lol

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Do you not like stephen fry then?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lukeydukey

Stephen Fry is a legend.
All that he said is the truth.
Personally I salute him.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lukeydukey

Why would you think that?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Your joke about him

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Enlightenment is the finding of god.
God is no longer a belief. I do not believe in god because god is known.
When i have to believe something, it means it is a story about something unknown.
Enlightenment is when the light is seen, to live within the light of consciousness.

When worshiping a deity (out there on a pedestal), one gives ones power away. Also, poor me, blame and irresponsibility spring forth from this thinking. If i do not believe in a deity, but instead experience god, does that mean i get to wear the label 'atheist'?

edit on 28-2-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Enlightenment is the finding of god.

Yes, but the Enlightenment is what Stephen Fry is an advocate of.

God is no longer a belief. I do not believe in god because god is known.

Citation needed.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Could you explain what you mean by citation needed, please.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Could you explain what you mean by citation needed, please.

That made me laugh!

God is known because you have inconravertable proof - please share it with us.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Have you ever heard the saying; The proof is in the pudding.
Only when tasted will it be known.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join