It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle Discovery's Trail Into Space As Seen from Over 70,000 Feet in a Balloon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Thought this was very cool, I've never seen pictures like this before.

This photo was taken from an an altitude of over 70,000 feet (still being determined exactly) at 5:20 pm EST on 24 February 2011. The camera used was the lowest resolution camera on board the Robonaut-1 balloon - a Motorola Droid X smartphone.

Would have been even better if they video footage of it too!

Link
edit on 25-2-2011 by roughycannon because: Forgot link

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
cool pics! Would have been really really fun if there had been a um"bird" in the pictures for us to argue about too! Nice find OP

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just noticed:

This is a frame grab from a video shot by a GoPro Hero

Does that mean there is a video?, you only "frame grab" from video, otherwise its just a picture...
edit on 25-2-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I didnt know balloons could go that far up... looks to me like it was taken from a space ship...

nice posting there... pretty pics!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yeah there is tons of people all over the world that do it, they normally use helium balloons and digital camera's to do it, I'm surprised that UFO believers haven't tried it as it can easily be done for a few hundred bux...
edit on 25-2-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

From the link:

We will be releasing more images of greater resolution and HD video very soon

Cant wait

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
HOLY CRAP

Space Shuttle spewing chemtrails too!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
HOLY CRAP

(sorry, couldn't resist)

OMG! your right! damn NASA and the government at it again!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The highest free fall of a human (russian) was from a balloon. I don't remember the actual height but way over 100,000 feet up. The diver felt no sensation he quickly surpassed the sound barrier during his fall, felt no sensation of speed in the thin atmosphere. You could probably Google the info of this free fall easily if interested.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
HOLY CRAP

(sorry, couldn't resist)

LOL!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Really? that's sound insane I tried a quick google search but couldn't find anything would be really interested in reading about that...

en.wikipedia.org...

This guy done a freefall, this would be amazing to do, its like jumping "into" your own planet!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Gary Powers jumped out of a U2 at 70,000 feet over Russia in 1960 if the OS is true. The Soviet overflights were launching out of Peshawar in northern Pakistan back then. Got caught spying on the communists in their own airspace. Those small turbojets were a lot more efficient than the big payload rockets they use to haul stuff up to the ISS. Hard to believe the fuel system on the U2 was not automated and that Gary flamed out on a point to point flight as some conspiracy theorists contend.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I will look into this... I might have myself a new science project

thanks!!! I starred your post, cos you gave me a goal to work towards muhwahaha

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
The highest free fall of a human (russian) was from a balloon. I don't remember the actual height but way over 100,000 feet up. The diver felt no sensation he quickly surpassed the sound barrier during his fall, felt no sensation of speed in the thin atmosphere. You could probably Google the info of this free fall easily if interested.

The guy was a USAF Captain who jumped out of a ballon at a little over 100,000 ft. His purpose was to test a new parachute design. This was done in 1960. To date, this record has never been broken.

Highest jump from balloon.

On August 16, 1960, he set three world records: the highest parachute jump (102,800 feet), the longest parachute free fall (4 minutes 36 seconds), and the first person to exceed the speed of sound without an aircraft or space vehicle (714 mph during free fall)."

I'm sorry OP to get off topic. The pictures are terrific. I can't wait for the high resolution ones and video.

It's sad that these are the last images of a launch into orbit that'll ever be taken of such a wonder transportation system.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I didn't want to start a new thread with this video nor is it my intention to derail this thread with it. I just thought this video would be a nice touch to it.

Space Shuttle Launch: Viewed From an Airplane

Hope you like it.

top topics

join