It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox Kinect and Ghost hunting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by semicolonsmile

i am the friend of the guy who first posted this request it would be different if i was playin on line but no it was a one player game and it wasn't hooked up to the net so therefore trying to find an online person is out of the question if you have any questions you can ask me on here

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
post video,

then remove yourself from the game and leave it on, and ask it to play by itself, see what happens

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xtacyd1

Hey buddy! good to see you jumped on here.

You should definitely get some video footage of this phenomenon. Actually as another poster pointed out, you should try leaving it in the set-up mode that shows you in infrared...not sure how you do that since I don't own one though. That way you'll be able to "see" what, if anything, it's picking up.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

hey check this video...this shows something similar in pretty good conditions
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm a bit stumped as to why it's only happening on Kinect. The PS Eye, even before the Move, has had the same technology (head and hand tracking, face recognition, 3D tracking, etc.) since about 2007 and there have been no rash of reports like this. It must strictly be something in the way of how it picks up its information. Infrared vs LED?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
in the room is it bright or are you playing with the sun at your back? If I remember correctly and I could be wrong but I think if a room is too bright it'll mess with the signal. I know it does it with the wii and it makes the wii more pointer all goofy.

I'm betting it has something to do with the light, the video posted the room was pretty well lit.
edit on 7-3-2011 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

NOT COOL!!!!
You just gave me the chills.
I want that damn thing out of my house now!!!!

My kids are just going to love this one.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Thats exactly the issue.

Wii and psmove both use LED tracking, kinect uses infrared.

Which to me is why this is so interesting....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

I'm pretty sure he said it was happening at night, but that is a possibility i hadn't thought of.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
i just got the kinect im going to do some gost hunting with it now i love it. i have already seen things in my house maybe i can get them to comeunakete know? my wife is going to be madd, lol

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I never considered on buying the Kinect until I read this thread. I believe my house or area for that matter is extremely haunted or some other kind of phenomenom I fail to grasp. I have one of those trash cans that have a lid with a sensor that opens when you walk up to it. Numerous occasions the trash can lid opened on its own and I wonder why it does this. If there is in fact a ghost or spirit I believe the kinect should be able to sense this entity if this story is true.
edit on 31-3-2011 by dierxdiets because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dierxdiets

interesting. Do you know what type of sensor is used on your trash can lid, just out of curiosity?

edit to clarify: I mean obviously its motion activated, I was more curious as to the mechanics of the sensor.
edit on 2-4-2011 by semicolonsmile because: clarification

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I know this post is some what "old" but I like this topic.

I've had things like this happen on my PS3.
I play a game called...wait for it..."Fat Princess" which is an online game so it is most likely just bugs due to the sometimes crappy connections but it's funny because it is literally like my character is possessed he will switch his hats on and off and do his attack without me doing anything and sometimes another name will come up when I'm talking on mic so instead of being my user name it will be something completely different.

There's also been instances of peoples names, and voices being in a game while they are in a completely different game, and one really weird one where one of my friends was in a game when he wasn't even online.

But honestly, will the all glitches, freezes, crashes and bugs with online games and systems that are online it most likely has to do with that or something to do with the AI in the game its self.

A good way to test this would be to either un plug the ether net cord or take out your codes and completely disable any internet connection and see if the same thing happens.

I liked this post though it's fun having a paranormal twist put on things that aren't normally thrown into the mix.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I've only played on a kinect a few times, but I was pretty convinced I didn't need to spend money on one. It was buggy and added/lost players for no discernible reason. POSSESSED. But not by a ghost. By bad technology, I think.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
disconnect it from the net then see what happens.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm a paranormal investigator. I had gotten the Kinect not long after I had gotten a full spectrum camcorder. The full spectrum camera only records light in the IR/UV range. I was recording myself with the camera playing Dance Central (badly I might mention). When I went to play it back, I noticed that there were little infrared dots everywhere. It was as if a continuous shotgun blast threw pellets everywhere. I assumed this is how the Kinect sensor worked, by seeing disturbances in the dots and determined a shape from them.

A few months later, I got The Biggest Loser game. I was doing some floor exercise when I noticed a figure on the display that was right behind me. The figure clearly had an arm extended that was reaching down to me. I didn't see or feel anything near me, but the game kept messing up cause it couldn't determine my body outline. So what do I do? I yell at the disembodied person saying, "You are messing up my game! If you wanna watch, watch over by the couch". The figure moved and I was able to finish.

At the time, I never thought to see if there was a way to connect the Kinect to a laptop or a computer. I've seen a few hacks out there and will have to try them. Might make a cheap IR detector much like using the laser technique.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
great thread! i'd love to see some solid results from these investigations

in order to rule out network interaction you must unplug any network cables, disable wireless (and sniff for wireless packets with a laptop if you want to be ocd).

additionally, watching a game play itself doesn't mean an awful lot in itself when the choices of action are limited to the context of the game, especially with this emergent 1st generation tech.

eg. a menu turning left or right has 3 choices (left, right, do nothing), and thus the probability of action if stimulated by eg. some interferrence/reflection is 66.6%. so for a 'ghost' to 'play basketball' in a basketball game isn't wholly remarkable in & of itself. BUT it is very interesting!!!

what we really need is to see a kinect debug image like this one here (www.flickr.com...) now if we could get a picture where the left-hand images showed another figure interacting while the right-hand image showed only 1 or 0 persons then we'd have some VERY spooky evidence!

Much like what the gman is describing here, do you have pics of this btw gman?

Originally posted by gman20001969
I had gotten the Kinect not long after I had gotten a full spectrum camcorder. The full spectrum camera only records light in the IR/UV range...I was doing some floor exercise when I noticed a figure on the display that was right behind me. The figure clearly had an arm extended that was reaching down to me.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
They have the Kinect disconnet and connect when a "ghost" appears?
No? That could be a problem.

Users, Groff etc., Please disconnect and connect the Kinect in the Windows software “Kinect Studio” if there is a skeleton.
That needs only one or two seconds, and two clicks in "Kinect Studio".

I also had a stickman in Windows "Kinect Studio" after minutes in a living room on the big (to the ground) terrace windows. Disonnect and connect, and the stickman is “gone”.
Effort of a second and two clicks…
And Xbox users could do the same with the whole kinect. Or (crash?)?

Now we need a “ghost hunter” at known strongly haunting places, and if there appears a stickman, disconnect/connect.
And the redundancy of kinect in combination with thermal image, and over the area distributed EM meters with alert (for example “REM-Pods”).
And EVP recording at the same place. If it must be, also full-spectrum ...
If we could show that the Kinect can not be used for Ghost Huntung, this is also good. Busting this myth would not busting the existence of paranormal phenomenons, "Ghosts"...

Btw., is it possible to flip the image horizontally?
It is mirrored.

@ gman2000

I think "full spectrum" is not "the" tool.
Because, this "mass selled" "full spectrum" cameras, manipulated compact cameras are note really "full spectrum".
If there is the usual optic, this glas filter many UV light.
Only special quartz glass objectives are usable for full spectrum.
I think a thermal image/video is better.

@ People they will use Raspberry PI, Ardiuno etc.:

Kinect needs 3,1Ghz Dual Core, 4GB RAM and USB3. And some USB3 are not working.
I think, using a PI is impossible...
edit on 16-8-2017 by TobiasClaren because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Michael D Magee uses these for ghost hunting

youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join