It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motor City Today: Focus Certified at 40 mpg, Ford Suppliers Adding 5,500 jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Motor City Today: Focus Certified at 40 mpg, Ford Suppliers Adding 5,500 Jobs

7:51 AM, Feb. 25, 2011
www.freep.com...

Ford said today that a version of its 2012 Ford Focus has been certified at 40 miles per gallon on the highway just as fuel prices are rising because of turmoil in the Middle East, and said its suppliers are adding 5,500 jobs globally to produce the car.

The Focus SFE, which stands for super fuel economy package, is certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency at 40 mpg highway and 28 mpg city. "...

(visit the link for the full news article)

Additonal source: www.prnewswire.com...
edit on 2/25/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Feb 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: replaced the "exnews" tags

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Those MPG sound good to me and great timing for anyone considering a new car purchase, since gas appears to be headed towards $4 per gallon and possibly $5 per gallon soon. And the jobs addition around the world sounds great.

From the article:

Ford also said today that its parts suppliers have added 5,500 jobs around the world and in southeast Michigan to meet production demands for the company’s redesigned 2012 Ford Focus. Ford said 310 suppliers in 22 countries will be supplying parts to Ford to build the Focus.

www.freep.com...

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sat Feb 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

sorry but they sound terrible compared to the european focus , 28 mpg urban that is really really bad ,
Euro focus on highway at 70 mph up to 63 mpg ?How much less is an american gallon ?to a British one?
edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

Did notice it is automatic transmission tho, oh well tut tut lol
edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Yes as you noted, it is an automatic vs. standard and runs on unleaded vs. diesel fuel.

It's a step in the right direction regardless; I think the new 2012 Focus mpg also beats the Toyota Camry's mileage if memory serves me correctly.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

The last time I checked vehicles in Europe neither used "MPH" or "gallons". Perhaps a link on the European Focus will help with a comparison?

(Edit: nevermind, I see you're referring to GB and not continental Europe.)

BTW, Ford is an example of a corporation doing things the right way. Their management and workers deserve a lot of praise.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by gambon

Yes as you noted, it is an automatic vs. standard and runs on unleaded vs. diesel fuel.

It's a step in the right direction regardless; I think that mpg also beats the Toyota Camry's mileage if memory serves me correctly.

My GF moderately tricked out Honda Civic automatic gets 40+ mpg and is very quick.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
One British (imperial) gallon equals 1.2009 gallons US, so 1 fifth more fuel, my Audi on the motorway will give me 44 MPG @ 80mph, if I drive carefully I can easily get 69 MPG.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ask the now defunct SATURN what happened to the EVO!!!!!!!!!!

They killed the electric car. Multiple versions. Thousands of people. And we pretend like this didn't happen and that Ford and Nissan are the gods of hybrids and gas mileage. I call BS!!!!!

I get 40-45+ mpg on my honda civic hybrid (older version). Ethanol free gas (which only one station has in town) increases this and its performance leading to almost 50 mpg.
edit on 25-2-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Currently running an old (Late 04) Nissan Micra 1.5 dci with nearly 80k miles on the clock. This thing will still do over 60 mpg around town and an indicated 90+ mpg on a long run down the motorways if driven carefully.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

US gallon = 3.788 liters
Canadian
and English gallon = 4.546 liters

A liter is about a quart US so the Canadian gallon is bigger than the US gallon by nearly a quart.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

28MPG urban for a Ford Focus? Dear lord...

My mate has an Mitsubishi Evo, it does better than that and is a much better car!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

While 28 mpg is pretty bad for a supposed efficient car, it still comes out to almost 34 British MPG or 8.4 litres per 100km for the rest of the world.
And how does your friend get a little over 23 US MPG out of his Evo when average city is 18 mpg?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

If people in the USA think 28mpg round a city is good mileage, then frankly you don't know anything about cars and wouldn't know fuel economy if it slapped you in the face with a haddock

You can't buy a car in Europe that does that kind of fuel consumption unless its badged with Ferrari or Lamborgini or Rolls Royce or Bentley or Aston Martin, and you have wads of cash that you have no problems setting fire to.

Its no wonder the US motor industry has a bad rap...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I drive an Evo. The only way your friend is getting that is no to few mods and a retune as well as driving really easy and staying out of boost.

Granted on a rural road, moderately moded, and no tune my car has seen 26 MPG, but my average is around 21 MPG. The Evo runs rich straight from the factory.

Then again the Evo is not a car that one is getting for its MPG anyway. AWD and power is the selling point of the Evo.

My Evo. 2003 first year in the US.
s383.photobucket.com...

Raist

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

You can get better with some moding and a retune. Even with moderat mods and no retune my Evo gets about 19 MPG driving in town.

Of course I do not run it as hard in town as I do out of town either, that might have a bit to do with it. I do know I have gotten 26 on a rural road though. Regardless like my other post you do not get the Evo for its MPG you get it for the AWD and the power.

I have a beater car that does my daily driving needs.

Raist

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

He's just told me it's combined cylce, not just urban. Urban is alot less.

Still, the comparison I was making was that a powerful car seems to have a similiar MPG to this supposed "fuel efficient" Focus. I know people don't buy Evo's for their fuel efficiency!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

His driving must be similar to what mine is. I used to DD my Evo and it is a combo of city (a small amount) and rural. His numbers sound about right in that case. He should be seeing around 30 MPG highway driving then.

The average from the polls I have seen at evolutionm.net seem to point to the average being around 17 - 20 MPG city driving. Of course most people add mods and drive the car as it was meant to be driven as well.

For the car that it is and what it offers though the MPG you get are better than most comparable cars.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join