It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin: closest approach on 9/11?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The Passage of comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin) through the interior part of the Solar System it is confirmed officially. And this is not good... I know that there are other threads about this topic and I will not to fear monger but try to understand exactly what this epochal event could bring on Earth. I just stumbled upon this news and thought that this was worthy of discusion.

We must be aware that this Comet could bring enormous amount of debris
What could happen if our planet it could be just along the wake of its tail?
spaceobs.org...

The eccentricity is greater than one, which means the comet has a hyperbolic orbit. The perihelion date is September 9, 2011 with a precision of +/- 1.7 days. The perihelion distance is 0.4762 (+/-0.008 a.u.).

August 1st the comet will come close to “STEREO-B” spacecraft , with a distance of only 7 million km (0.047 a.u.). Unfortunately the comet will not be visible in the field of view of this spacecraft; the comet will pass below it, but it is entirely possible that STEREO B will pass through the comet’s tail. At the moment of maximum brightness, which for a short period of time may exceed mag. 0, the comet will be visible in images from the coronagraph of another spacecraft oberving the Sun – “SOHO“.

Nasa Warning: Comet Elenin is coming? buzzroom.nasa.gov...

ELEven NINe?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Not only is this well and truly covered, at the very least one of those videos is presenting false or old information.
Nothing new or worthwile can really be gained from this thread that is not already in the other thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-2-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Elenin's closest approach to earth is on October 16, 2011 at 21:39 UTC, +/- 1 hour and 7 minutes. It's closest approach to the sun is September 10, 2011 at 18:13 UTC, +/- 44 minutes. The closest it will get to earth is 34,833,620 km, +/- 626,132 km.

This is the latest info from the JPL Small Body Database, and is based on observations up to February 23rd. As more observations are made, the +/- error will continue to decrease.

As far as the supposed danger of the tail, since the tail always points away from the sun, when the comet is closest to earth, the tail will be leading the nucleus. And, since the comet is going to be above the plane of the earth's orbit, we won't come anywhere near the tail. The orbits never intersect, so we don't need to worry about any trailing debris, either. I made a video that illustrates Elenin's path through the inner solar system, and it shows how it will be well above earth by the time it reaches earth's orbit:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There's just not much reason here to take away from the original thread that Puterman posted. I myself would have posted this to that thread. That's just me.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm in complete agreement with all the replies above (makes a nice change for ATS!). Why scatter threads about the same topic all over ATS, when all the pertaining info/speculation can be put in the same place, and easily accessible? As far as I can see all the OPs questions have already been answered there anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
[color=deeppink]There is no way I am watching all of those videos. You should provide a summary for each, including at what point in the video that the relevant information is shown, especially for longer videos.

Elenin has been covered extensively on Puterman's thread.
edit on 25-2-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
i recon it will be on seeptember 11

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Perihelion (closest approach to the Sun) is on Sep 10th.
Closest approach to Earth is on Oct 16-17.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Perihelion (closest approach to the Sun) is on Sep 10th.
Closest approach to Earth is on Oct 16-17.
en.wikipedia.org...

I see the orbital elements were just updated with observations as recent as yesterday. Closest approach to earth is now 2011-Oct-16 21:08, +/- 39 minutes. Perihelion is 2011-Sep-10 17:55, +/- 26 minutes. The closest is it will get to earth is now 34,699,527.9 km.
edit on 4-3-2011 by nataylor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join