It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Experiencing Difficulties in Evacuating U.S. Citizens From Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
First - I place this in this sub-forum because of the political ramifications this has for our Executive Office (you know, the Commander-in-Chief ? ).

As China and half a dozen other countries scramble with military assets in support to extract U.S. Citizens and diplomats from Libya, we're celebrating Black History Month at the White House.

www.voanews.com...

The United States says it has not been able to move some of its non-essential diplomats from Libya, as governments send airplanes and ships to pick up their citizens stranded by Libya's bloody unrest.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Tuesday the United States was looking at various ways to move the diplomats, their families, and other Americans out of Libya. He did not elaborate on why the U.S. could not to do so on Tuesday.

. . .

Meanwhile, Britain's foreign secretary says his country has redeployed a warship closer to Libya to aid in the evacuation effort. William Hague says the Royal Navy warship HMS Cumberland has been put on standby to help Britons get home should it be needed.

Really?

As a Navy man, myself... what the hell am I here for, if not for situations like this?

And here is a real piece of awesome:

www.usatoday.com...

In a notice sent to U.S. citizens in Libya, the department said Americans wishing to leave Libya should report to the As-shahab port in the capital of Tripoli with their passports starting at 9 a.m. local time on Wednesday. The ferry will depart for the Mediterranean island of Malta no later than 3 p.m. local time.

It said boarding the vessel would be on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to those with medical emergencies or severe medical conditions. Travelers will be allowed one suitcase and one small carry-on item, the notice said, adding that pets would be allowed on the ferry but that they must meet European Union requirements.

. . .

Those who take the ferry will be expected to reimburse the government for the cost, estimated to be equivalent to the one-way commercial ferry crossing of the distance from Tripoli to the Maltese capital of Valletta, it said. Any onward travel from Malta must be paid for by the passengers, the notice said.

Are they serious?

"Let's huddle all of these Americans together at a time when there's practically no security and violence against all kinds of different nationalities and ethnic groups, and tell them to wait on a ferry. ... Oh, wait, budget deficit... let's make them pay for it, too!"

What are we paying my fellow service members to do, exactly?

Problems with Airport Security? That's why we pack Marines around with us. Hostile locals? If a bunch of trained, uniformed people with weapons doesn't get them to shy away, a supersonic fly-by by a pair of F-18s (unfortunately, no F-14s - far better suited to this type of intimidation) and tear-gas usually get disruptive crowds to disperse.

We can hold air-shows with free admission to the public where we spend a few million dollars on aviation fuel and maintenance hours... but we make people pay for their own evac out of a collapsing nation, and it's not even secured by the military.

Meanwhile:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is celebrating classic rhythm and blues on Thursday, spotlighting the music of Motown in a White House concert.

Am I the only one disturbed by this?

We have chaos all across the Middle East - were we do have citizens and people to protect - ... And we just act like nothing is happening at all.

Did, uh, we forget that a substantial amount of the oil we -need- to operate comes from that general region? I thought it was the in-thing to do to say we went to Iraq over oil.

Where is the -executive- action by our -executive- branch of government?

I don't care if it's "only" 300 citizens in Libya - we divert several cruisers, destroyers, and utilize the assets of carriers to search for a man-overboard for a week. That's what we do for our own in the military. We launch multi-million dollar expeditions to recover individuals behind enemy lines .... and can't give even a passing regard for a few hundred of our own citizens trapped in a country in the midst of social upheaval and violence?

Really?

Anyone else have any answers or thoughts on this? I'd like to ask my Commander-in-Chief what in God's name he thinks he's in that office to do.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hey we can hold abrotha down when he is in his blues groove because he is one cool cat, daddio. LMAO. I am sharing your sentimates entirely but what else can a POTUS do? Lets strap him in a pair of boots and ACU's and send his happy !@# over there. He needs to stand in fight with the people he represents like teddy roosevelt did or George washington. I may be just a little old fashioned in that sense. ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
How is it our government cares more for our enemies, illegal aliens and other despots and degenerates of the planet? How can anyone defend what Obama and his cronies are doing? I feel we are no longer Americans and we have become something else, sad times....

new topics

join