It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quakes hit New Zealand again.... Role call to our ATS NZ Members,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Christchurch was hit by another Quake, And this time fears of 100's of people trapped and possibly a high number of deaths,

65 people are thought to have been killed and this number is expected to rise over the coming days,

The 6.3-magnitude quake caused more devastating than the previous 7.1 due to the closeness to the city,

Schools have been closed so the rescue operations can get in to place,

news.sky.com...

My thoughts go out to all those affected and to out members and moderators who live in the effected areas,
We wish you and yours well and we are all thinking of you at this time of devastation,

Out staff member Xpert11, has let us know he is ok, also staff member Alien,

edit on 22-2-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
See other thread for all updates on this devastating quake,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Yes, I hope all there are well including ATS members..

Though the power and phones/internet are down in many areas so don't panic too much if a member is off line..
Just pray for all to be safe and well..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

asala... did you just moderate your own post
I thought you were doing a Whateva then.. i have actually replied to my own post before.

I see now this is for roll call and the other is for chating about.

edit on 22/2/11 by Whateva69 because: i'm silly

edit on 22/2/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The devastation was caused by the depth of the quake, it was only 5 km deep as opposed to the other one at 33km deep.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
The devastation was caused by the depth of the quake, it was only 5 km deep as opposed to the other one at 33km deep.

The devastation is also due to the damage from the big one on September 4th (a 7.1) and the "aftershock" on Boxing day. Those buildings barely "survived" those two, and this shallow one really did a number on the brick and stone of Christchurch (which was thought to not to be particularly in danger till September 4th, when they discovered that fault (doh)). The death toll is due to the time this one hit the one on September 4th was very late at night (even down here in Dunedin (360 km south) it was bad), it hit during the lunch hour.

top topics

join