It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The title of this thread is "Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters"

Not people of the world supporting others.

You know why that is the title? Because that's the title of the news article linked in the original post. In the Breaking Alternative News section, you have to use the title of the news article as the title of your thread.

But if you had read ModernAcademia's post, you would see that the intent of this thread was about showing support to people across the world, not about debating the differences between the Egypt protests and the Wisconsin protests.

Think about what you are really saying here with your posts in this thread. You are insulting people for showing generosity towards others. What kind of person does that make you?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

Dear Petrolcoin,

Don't let others raze or bait you. It's their way to bring you down to their level. Let them have their say. It's their right and with that power to responsibly use it or irresponsibly to do so. Each are responsible for their own actions, to either be placed upon the pedestal, or only to dig their own grave with each post they write.

Some may agree with them, but many more whom have suffered before respect posts such as yours, the op and many others who saw and wrote beyond the political bitching shown on this thread, which is more about the generosity of the human spirit and courage above all, than anything else.

I personally thank you for your well thought out posts.

Cheers.
edit on 21-2-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Again, my contribution to ATS has been constant. Yes, I am conservative in my views, what a shock!

But when I see "Egypt protesters, supporting Wisconsin protesters" I see a dichotomy.

It has political undertones that attempt to paint the Wisconsin protesters in the same light as those who wanted to be free from a Mubarak regime.

I didn't start this thread. I'm just bringing some common sense to it.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Don't let others raze or bait you.

Yeah I know. It's just stupid what some people say. I don't understand what is accomplished by insulting someone for being generous and giving. It's like insulting someone who had their home destroyed in Hurricane Katrina because they donate to someone whose home suffered minor damage in a smaller storm. Why does it matter who has it worse? The point is it's people being generous. If more people were generous, the world would be a better place. So why some people insult generosity rather than promote it is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I didn't start this thread. I'm just bringing some common sense to it.

How? with baiting and trolling unnecessary sarcastic comments like this?

posted by beezzer
Personaly, I think it's quite silly.
Egypt protested over a Mubarak regime.
Teachers protested because they have to pay for their own health insurance.

Oh the horror, the horror.

(shakes head in disgust!)

also you know good and well it's not about "health insurance" It's about the right to collective bargaining .
edit on 21-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

And I stand by that. By trying to bridge the protest in Egypt to the protest in Wisconsin, people are trying to impart a similarity to the two.

Sneakysneaky, on their part. But as fortune would have it, you have in me, someone who can see through the unicorn/rainbow happyjoy sentiment and find the underlying truth.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm also conservative
I do not want to derail the thread but for sake of argument please look at this video

Thx

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nobody would argue that the financial crisis was caused by the bankers. I, for one, do not blame the teachers for the mess our economy is in. That does not change the fact that we are in it though. They have to tighten the belts like the rest of us. The guy in your video calling the unions thugs was upset that there were doctors giving teachers sick notes for being off of work. He was a little upset at the hypocrisy of saying they care about the students but showing them how to lie when it suits your needs.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

They can continue to collectively bargain for salary. However, when Walker was a county official in Milwaukee County, he said the number one issue that stood in the way of being able to balance the budget was the unions collective bargaining agreement. He feels that the only way to allow the individual municipalities the chance to really make a change in their financial problems is to be able to avoid that. Most states have already gotten rid of the collective bargaining agreements, so it is not all that radical of a move.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What can I say? I guess I can sum up my feelings in four words:

Power to the people!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The Egyptians were protesting for what we already have here. The Teachers are protesting because they were asked to take a minor cut in benefits and they threw a fit even though they are currently paid far more than the private sector which pays the taxes that pay their wages. In other words they are already overpaid and demanding even more.

I'd see this as a slap in the face of the Egyptians to compare the two. The Egyptians just want something to eat, the Teachers have not only eaten their fill already, they want more Ice Cream because two bowls after Dinner was not enough for them and they don't care that the Freezer is empty and there is no more money.

I can't believe anyone would compare the two. I doubt the Egyptians understand what these Teachers are protesting for.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I doubt the Egyptians understand what these Teachers are protesting for.

If I'm not mistaken, there are two protests going on and they are a counter-protest to the other. Also, if I am not mistaken, both sides received pizza. The Egyptians (and others... we shouldn't forget that there are people from multiple countries who have donated) probably do not know about the political issues behind the protests, as you said, but that doesn't even really matter. Donating pizza is hardly a sign of political support. They aren't expressing their views on the issues at hand by donating pizza. All they are doing is giving food to people who have been standing outside for days in support of their cause.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Now this is a great story...It goes to show that its not a race or religon this is simply people helping people they have never and probley will never meet.now if all the worlds governments will follow stide everybody would be better off

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
What an outstanding gesture by the Egyptians. In the midst of all the turmoil and strife they are currently experiencing, and given the poverty levels of most there, this was a truly magnanimous gesture of solidarity. They're showing us what it's all about - the people versus increasingly dictatorial governments.

It's Awesome! Warms my heart and gives me hope that not all is lost! It's symbolic...it's a societal transformation...it is a coming together of people of the world! Amazing gesture! Keep the momentum going!

Who would have thought that pizza would be involved!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow. That is cool. Solidarity of like kinds, though they are living on opposite sides of the sea, they as different as different can be, but still support one another.
That is cool!
Ordering something as simple as pizzas for one another. That may sound like a small thing, but it's not. It really isn't. Take a moment and step aside to ponder this. This is a very big deal.

Ok now for my f'd up humor
I'm going to protest my own. My government is suspect at best. I want equality!
I want a double cheese pizza with an order of buffalo wings.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

After reading this story I went out and bought a pizza.

See, this story helped the economy.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Schools and Teachers should cease to exist

Well except College and University

The government should pay one of the child's parents a modest teacher salary. This allows one of the parents to raise their own children and instill there own values through important developmental years.

Information/knowledge has been a carrot on the string held away from us and "taught" to us. Today, information is free at the type of a button. The average person knows more random facts than the most knowledgeable of centuries ago.

More importantly, some knowledge is now not even needed in your brain. You only have room for so much information and if irrelevent information is accesible at the touch of the button. Why learn it? I don't need to know how to speak another language. I will use Ortsbo real time translator. I don't need to be taught about history for Wikipedia can provide any answer I ever have? Geography? Google Maps....Astronomy? Google Earth/pace

Pay a parent a fraction of these teacher salaries, allow them the right to raise their children. Put in testing systems over the internet to be able to make sure the children are on track. If they are not, then blame the parent who is being payed and still lacks the ability to provide information to there child

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I find it very difficult to compare the unrest in Egypt to the plight of the PUBLIC unions in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio etc etc.

Greed, Greed, Greed... Entitlements, Entitlements, blah blah,,,, The taxpayers have spoken and the taxpayers have had enough. Yes, the taxpayers who foot the bill for these union members to shut down schools thereby placing more hardship on the school families and the children in the schools. Clearly, we know what is more important to these teachers. I suggest these folks seek a new vocation. Tough to find job that will replace their $100k pay and benefit package though.

These little President backed union uprisings will do more harm to the unions than good. Wisconsin will be the tipping point. Their true colors are shining through the fog. Keep up the good work!! The truth hurts and reality bites.

ETA:

I don't think that people realize that it is the unions who have long maintained the stronghold, the leverage and the power. NOT the Govt. The govt. is biting back in the best interest of the majority of the taxpayers. FOR ONCE. Representatives are actually doing what they were ELECTED to DO!!
edit on 21-2-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Actually a great deal of the Egyptian protesters were there because of wages, many of them were also public/government employees.

If I am not mistaken there was a surplus before this fellow initiated tax breaks, a crisis by design, if I am wrong post your evidence.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
The government should pay one of the child's parents a modest teacher salary.

There are a lot more parents than there are teachers. That means more federal spending, which means a higher federal deficit. The government gets its money from the taxpayers. I am not willing to allow my taxes to be sent to parents who cannot even be evaluated for doing the job they are being paid to do since - in your "plan" - there would be no curriculum.

Your proposal is completely unreasonable. The way I see it, there are two options. The first is to keep the system we have and improve it. The second is to abolish it, allow the parents to teach their children, but DON'T pay them. Why should we pay people to teach their own children? If there is no educational system, teaching your own children is called being a parent. "Parent" is not a job title and does not deserve compensation.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

The Egyptians were protesting for what we already have here. The Teachers are protesting because they were asked to take a minor cut in benefits and they threw a fit even though they are currently paid far more than the private sector which pays the taxes that pay their wages. In other words they are already overpaid and demanding even more.

I'd see this as a slap in the face of the Egyptians to compare the two. The Egyptians just want something to eat, the Teachers have not only eaten their fill already, they want more Ice Cream because two bowls after Dinner was not enough for them and they don't care that the Freezer is empty and there is no more money.

I can't believe anyone would compare the two. I doubt the Egyptians understand what these Teachers are protesting for.

Everything has to fit into your prefabricated box

You sure do assign a lot of negativity to everyone above and paint them with your bias too.

Gluttonous teachers, Retarded Egyptians

The freezer is empty because the corporatist stock person gave it all away, you are not hiding your ignorance very well.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join