It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All there is....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Greetings fellow explorers,

I've got this little "problem" and I hope some of the more educated members are able to help me in finding out which wheels aren't turning correctly......

The problem is........I have no problem with death.

Not from a depressed, pessimistic point of view though. I am the personification of optimism. I love life and consider each day a wonderful gift.

It's just that I have this strong notion that it doesn't get any better than this.........I know, I know, that sound depressing and pessimistic but what I mean is it seems as if the whole construct of self awareness is merely a facilitator for the euphoria of fulfilling expectations.

Around me I constantly see people preoccupied with working towards a certain expectation in order to be happy. "I want to be the best football player in the world", "I want to make a million dollars before I turn 30", "I want to be a grandparent one day", "I want to go on holiday to Cancun".....etc etc.

But why do we want these things? Does the experience of achieving your desire to win the Nobel peace prize differ from the experience of a child that achieves his desire to walk?? The way I see it, the difficulty in achieving these goals is what set them apart but the experience and euphoric feeling of achievement is the same.

It is always the same rush and we are hooked!! We foolishly expect the rush to be bigger and better than the last time but fact of the matter is that the intensity of the experience does not differ. As a matter of fact, the first time was probably the best and after that it just rehashing and trying to equal that first rush.

I am hooked to, I want to experience that feeling every day and if I live to be a 1000 years old it wouldn't be long enough. But I just do not expect things to get any better and that is why I have no problem if life for me ended today,I hope it doesn't but I also do not have a sense of things that I have to achieve before I die.

Am I making (non)sense??

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
So.. you are lazy?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I tend to believe that expectations are limitations in life now.

I think you have realised that.

Quite often in life if you put a pin on a specific goal it does nothing more than limit your future to that goal or less.

Not everyone agrees with this way of living as it can be very disconcerting if you do not trust that things will happen but I personally find it a heck of a lot more interesting in the places that you can end up if you simply go with the flow.

Your thread makes sense to me completely and theres nothing wrong with it at all.

What is for you will not go by you.

I would still say there is a little bit of a pessimistic outlook in your post but thats normal if your just stepping out of the great scheme of planning everything down to what your going to wear tomorrow or if you are trying to express this to other people. I find if you take comfort in the unexpected suprises life throws at you, its far more fun and you learn a lot more.

edit on 20-2-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

mileysubet,

Lazy?? Lacking ambition is the better term here I guess........

Thanks for the reply

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I've got this little "problem" and I hope some of the more educated members are able to help me in finding out which wheels aren't turning correctly......

The problem is........I have no problem with death.
Not a problem at all.

Around me I constantly see people preoccupied with working towards a certain expectation in order to be happy. "I want to be the best football player in the world", "I want to make a million dollars before I turn 30", "I want to be a grandparent one day", "I want to go on holiday to Cancun".....etc etc.
I understand exactly what you mean, and that's why people are so unhappy most of the time. They think they need something else to fulfill them and make them happy. Just imagine how happy a third world child would be if he got to switch lives with a 1st world child, it would be like something in their wildest dreams.

But I just do not expect things to get any better and that is why I have no problem if life for me ended today,I hope it doesn't but I also do not have a sense of things that I have to achieve before I die.
The reality is, I could die at any moment. We all could die at any moment actually. Whilst I would prefer not to die this young, I have no problem with death, I would mostly worry about my family. Nothing lasts forever, everything you leave behind will eventually be destroyed, leaving no trace you were ever here. If fact, one day our universe will either implode or rip apart. I simply enjoy the ability to experience reality as a self-aware being, I have nothing to prove or achieve before I die. Life is just a game, and the aim of the game isn't to make your character the richest or most powerful, it's to simply play the game and enjoy the ride. Those who actually enjoy the game are true winners. Everyone else is on a constant mission to get something they so desperately need to make their lives feel more whole.

edit on 20-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

semantics.....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Thanks for you kind reply XXXN3O.

(Haven't seen you around for a while)

Well I still have expectation (logically?), I am just not entertaining the thought that the experience will be any more intense than past experiences. The situation will differ but the subconscious goal will be the same. So in that sense it would not matter if future expectations are met, it would be fun, it would be preferable but it is not paramount.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

You've woken up thats all, you no longer subscribe to the aspirational models that are sold to everyone through the media, good for you. But be careful TPTB will come and get you and recondition you into excepting greed, desire and need

Its what most people search for, but unfortunately they never look inside.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
It's not nonsense at all. Rather makes sense from the way I look upon it.

I do think expectations and aims are limiting us and such...

A different take...and something I might try. Thanks OM

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

It is always the same rush and we are hooked!! We foolishly expect the rush to be bigger and better than the last time but fact of the matter is that the intensity of the experience does not differ. As a matter of fact, the first time was probably the best and after that it just rehashing and trying to equal that first rush.

I am hooked to, I want to experience that feeling every day and if I live to be a 1000 years old it wouldn't be long enough. But I just do not expect things to get any better and that is why I have no problem if life for me ended today,I hope it doesn't but I also do not have a sense of things that I have to achieve before I die.

Yes that is true. Buddha explained it beautifully in his 4 noble truths. The core of all problems is desire. It all starts with desire... If there weren't desires, there wouldn't be any evil on the world...
I don't understand how are hooked if you don't have any you don't expect for things to get any better? It seems to me that you are not completely truthful to yourself than... You have some kind of conflict inside of you, try to go deep to the root of that problem and to realize it, than you will be happier.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

Thanks for you kind reply XXXN3O.

(Haven't seen you around for a while)

Well I still have expectation (logically?), I am just not entertaining the thought that the experience will be any more intense than past experiences. The situation will differ but the subconscious goal will be the same. So in that sense it would not matter if future expectations are met, it would be fun, it would be preferable but it is not paramount.

Peace

When you say expectation, than it means that you expect something? What is than that you expect? Nobody expect something dull and boring, as far as I know...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alomaha

Thanks for the reply alomaha,

It does seem double that I do not have any expectation and on the other hand I have expectations.........no it doesn't seem double, it is double!!

But to put it in the most simplistic way, I have expectation in the sense of wanting to experience what is it like to be a grandfather for instance. But I have no expectations that this goal will fulfill some kind of feeling which I have not experienced before in some other form.......

Does that make sense??

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I still just think you are lazy..semantics are a bitch.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

reply to post by alomaha

Thanks for the reply alomaha,

It does seem double that I do not have any expectation and on the other hand I have expectations.........no it doesn't seem double, it is double!!

But to put it in the most simplistic way, I have expectation in the sense of wanting to experience what is it like to be a grandfather for instance. But I have no expectations that this goal will fulfill some kind of feeling which I have not experienced before in some other form.......

Does that make sense??

Peace

I would advise you to read very carefully what you wrote.
Look:
"But I have no expectations that this goal will fulfill some kind of feeling which I have not experienced before in some other form......"
"I have expectation in the sense of wanting to experience what is it like to be a grandfather for instance."

See the conflict right there? You want to experience how does it feel to be grandfather`because you have never been grandfather, so that would be a new experience for you, right? Now read the first line I quoted...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I think the OP just wanted to start a "Nihilist" type of debate honestly, but yet he has not a nihilistic mind.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Perhaps if you let go of the expectations altogether, you may end up having feelings which you have never before experienced.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

I still just think you are lazy..semantics are a bitch.

Well I am no expert in this field so I will take your word for it. I am not denying that drive and motivation are probably products of expectation. And I am certainly not resisting the urge to look forward to future events that contribute to the rush of achievement, it's just that I do not feel the rush will be bigger or better than the last time.

It could be just lazy though.....

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by alomaha
See the conflict right there? You want to experience how does it feel to be grandfather`because you have never been grandfather, so that would be a new experience for you, right? Now read the first line I quoted...

No, I would like to experience what it would be like to be a grandfather because I am here and alive. It is just that I realize that the experience of achieving the goal of being a grandfather probably won't differ from the experience of being able to ride my bike for the first time without sidewheels. Both are achievements and both give a rush.....but that rush won't change.

So in seeing it from this point of view, it would be nice to experience a lot of things before I kick the bucket but the quantity is not important...

I am making it more complicated with every post, am I not??

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
All there is:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Both are achievements and both give a rush.....but that rush won't change.

The expectations are in the anticipated rush and your belief that the rush will remain unchanged. That is where you may be limiting yourself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join