It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Consume At Your Peril

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Good informative post. When you get down to it, if it wasn't grown out of the ground or if it doesnt moo then it's a chemical. Think of it this way, if you were a carnivorous mammal with half a brain and a choice... would you rather eat Woody Harrelson or Joan Rivers? Or better yet, try the taste test. Blindfold said carnivore, and have em choose which meatsicle is better tasting, Harrelson? or Rivers? lol..

In any event the bottom driving force for me and eating healthier is that I don't wanna spend my hard earned money trying to feed myself AND making someone rich for lying and doing scabby ass marketing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

congrats on making 2000.
i suppose all i can add is i personally avoid additives as much as possible. just hope the grandson has the choice of drinks when he starts school and stays away from the cartons with exploding colours on them!
regards f

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

you bet. keep your windows closed and draw your curtains. hang on, the neighbours house has just gone up for sale!
f

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
reply to post by romanmel

you bet. keep your windows closed and draw your curtains. hang on, the neighbours house has just gone up for sale!
f

Right.

Long as I got my heart-attack-on-a-bun and my extra large slurppy, I can get by.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Quality thread.... very informative and a real eye opener. Any wonder why so many people are unhealthy and die early, our bodies are a chemical depository with a cumulative effect of toxins that increase the risk of becoming a host to disease or premature death. Any wonder that dead bodies aren't decaying at a consistent rate even when placed in identical circumstances with same body mass. Though our diet we are on a slow path to embalming ourselves to death...

edit on 18-8-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

OMG what am i suppose to eat? This stuff is in everything.

I don't eat any of this stuff, well salt, but I use sea salt.

I eat natural clean food, and enjoy a varied diet.

You can find many of your favorite products with out chemicals now. I just enjoyed a nice bowl of organic ice cream. Made with milk from grass feed cows and never given hormones, and flavored naturally. in my cupboard I have organic pancake batter, cereals, granola bars, pasta sauce, ect. I eat grass feed beef, eggs and meat from free range chickens, raw milk, and cheese and butter from raw milk, a variety of nuts and then of course I have my vegetable garden.
My local grocery store just went all natural. Before that I had to drive 15 minutes to health food store to find some items, but many grocery stores already sell these items.

You will feel a difference once you start eating this way. I used to hate mornings and had a hard time waking up, now I am bursting with energy, my skin and hair are healthier than ever and my mood is better.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
reply to post by spikey

funny you say that cause the heart is designed to last around 150-200 years old so it may be possible in the future with proper diet to increase the average age which would be even more perfect for the elite and bankers to manipulate and suck us dry...there seem to be allot more people passing the 100 years age that ever before.

I seriously doubt that and would be nice to see a source. In fact i would put the the average right around 60-70 years where you can count on trouble free operation and that is if you don't develop other problems people have massive heart attacks and die in their 30's too and i would say this has been happening as long as humans were around.

More important than that though is how quickly human teeth degenerate. Consider ancient people and those before modern knowledge of tooth care and if your teeth rot in your mouth by 50 you really wouldn't have any source of good nutrition so i would say things went down hill from there. This is just my opinion though.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
And while I will admit that there is a ton of chemicals in our food these days, the life expectancy keeps climbing, so is it really detrimental, or is it much ado about nothing?

Cancer statistics keep rising as well. You'll notice that the majority of dangerous additives are used to make things either look or taste better.

I have said before, that humanity's craving for superficial aesthetics is the root of all evil.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This was an amazing and informative post. Many many thanks for the time and effort. I've been working in the health food industry for 14 years, and its amazing how much people still do not know about these substances.

My solution to avoiding these chemicals has been relatively simple, and I have some rules I established when I discovered what I was being fed by my parents as a child:

1. No pre-packaged foods.
2. Whole foods only. I don't need my food pre-cooked, pre-made, pre-mixed, or otherwise pre-f**ked with.
3. Know where your foods come from. Know the grower's name, know her/his growing methods, even legal history if possible. If you have to, call the grower and ask.
4. Organic does not always mean organic. The FDA has made some rather big loopholes in the organic regulations so big agribusiness could get into the organic foods market where they had been previously shut out. This is why rule #3 is so important.
5. If possible, grow it yourself. It is quite easy and inexpensive to grow a large amount of food in a small space without chemicals or pesticides.

Thanks again.

Oops. Thread necro. Sorry for that.
edit on 4-12-2011 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I feel like these are next to impossible to avoid without foraging in the wild. While i do eat organic meats, in reality you never know what you're actaully getting unless you shoot, clean, package and freeze yourself...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
What a really nice topic to be brought up and in the same time back shivering information. What I didn't know is MSG change of names
I remember before I ate chips that claims "NO MSG" when I was reading at the contents I stumbled across "hydrolyzed soy protein" at the end of the contents. Now I lost my sense of apatite to eat my chips today.

About those Bacons... So mother was right! Always buy the almost white ones and not the bright red ones
edit on 1/4/2012 by Labdarex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
you missed the number one most dangerous food additive of all.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

"High-fructose corn syrup starts out as cornstarch, which is chemically or enzymatically degraded to glucose and some short polymers of glucose. Another enzyme is then used to convert varying fractions of glucose into fructose...High-fructose corn syrup just doesn't exist in nature."[10]

Since HFCS is present in a "staggering" amount of food in the US, and in most foods marketed to children, there are doubts as to whether it can be consumed in moderation:

...unless you're making a concerted effort to avoid it, it's pretty difficult to consume high-fructose corn syrup in moderation.

HFCS is a poison to diabetics and since it came on the market the rates of obesity and diabetes have skyrocketed

At temperatures above 45 °C (113 °F) HFCS rapidly forms hydroxymethylfurfural, which is toxic
en.wikipedia.org...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
Material Safety Data Sheet
5-(Hydroxymethyl)furfural
Appearance: yellow solid. Flash Point: 79 deg C.
Warning! Causes eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritation. Material is a solid at room temperature that melts upon moderate heating into a combustible liquid with a flash point below 200°F(93.3°C).
Target Organs: Kidneys, central nervous system, respiratory system, eyes, skin.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes eye irritation.
Skin: Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Ingestion: May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation: Causes respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
Chronic: Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. May cause kidney damage. Exposure to high concentrations may cause central nervous system damage. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----
All food with HFCS as a ingredient that has been cooked above 45 °C (113 °F) contains large amounts of hydroxymethylfurfural
And most children's foods like cereals meet this and people wonder why ADHD and ADD are so bad.
Its from there central nervous system neurological effects of this C**P
edit on 4-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
you missed the number one most dangerous food additive of all.

All food with HFCS as a ingredient that has been cooked above 45 °C (113 °F) contains large amounts of hydroxymethylfurfural
And most children's foods like cereals meet this and people wonder why ADHD and ADD are so bad.
Its from there central nervous system neurological effects of this C**P
edit on 4-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

What would you call a 'large amount', out of curiosity? Also, if you're going to go about avoiding anything in which HMF is formed, you'd best avoid anything involving this reaction as well as anything in which 'caramelisation' is a part of the methodology. While you're at it, might want to stop eating honey, jam (or any preserve with sugar in it), dried fruit and coffee. Perhaps surprisingly to some is that a lot of those things I just cited are found to have a much higher concentration of HFP's in them than HFCS.

And a little something about MSDS's: They tend to, more often than not, be over-exaggerated for the purposes of making people overly cautious when handling them in a laboratory setting. Sometimes for good reason - Pyrophorics aren't a brand of chemical to be taken lightly, for instance. A lot of what was listed in that MSDS are likely referring to quantities much higher than that found naturally in food. You should maybe have checked that before you went on that rampage.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

excuse me ? And just how much does this "extra life expectancy " cost in the form of hospital, doctor, and pharmaceutical cost?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have to second some other comments on here, virtually almost ALL food has either one or more of these chemicals in them. Unless you eat organic or raise the animal and kill it yourself, how does the "common man" avoid these dangerous poisons? The cost of living seems to be going up by the day, I can't afford to pay 4 times more for a "healthier" version of food.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

yep, that is exactly what I was thinking as I read it! wth is left to eat?

hmmm?

s & f from me

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I took a picture of a liter of my roommate’s diet soda:

They actually use the word "aspartame" over there? Over here, all we get is "sweetener 951" so people have less chance of discovering it.

edit on 16/1/12 by NuclearPaul because: wrong pic

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
In all the recent researches I have done on food, healthy eating, minerals and vitamins, In every quote it has stated that Americans have the poorest diet and health consequences. As I don't live there It has intrigued me that 1 of the wealthiest countries in the world have abandoned their health to fast food diets and easy living.
In Britain I can see the same way of life creeping into our youth. I am shocked at women's grocery trolley full of junk and packaged foods.
As a mother I tried to fill my children with healthy food but by the time they were 10 I had difficulty battling with the adverts and the continued onslaught of MacDonald's In the end I lost and then had no control over their eating habits. I would cook a healthy meal and they would refuse it continually going out to get cheap burgers or chips.
Years later they are now suffering the consequences and I have 1 child obese, 2 slim but don't have a healthy diet. I could cry as I have the knowledge of what they are doing to themselves but as men now they are free to chose.

I have always cooked my meals from fresh. I have always used the method in constructing a meal of 50% veg or fruit, 15% protein 20% carbohydrates and 5% fats. Also including correct cooking of these ingredients to keep as many vitamins and minerals.

Education is a must for children of the future to make the right choices and I feel this must start at an early age in schools. Food consumption and it's benefits IS a science.

Sussy

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
While we are on the subject, people really need to check out what's in their vitamins. There is nothing 'natural' about many vitamins which are often just a synthetic chemical composition or an 'extract' with chemicals to hold together and preserve.
edit on 16-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this so I have another reference of what to look for in my foods.
I only had all those nasty processed foods to eat as a kid (like alot of nasty frozen foods) till I was about 16 and always felt like crap, I then started to think it was the nasty food (because I was healthy non drug user and sport player) and at that time ( I was living on my own after 16 so I was buying my own food at this time) in my life I decided to go more organic and eat healthier, and for sure ever since I made that change my moods have been better along with my overall health and just overall well being was improved, wasn't always so tired, grumpy, not as much sweet cravings an just not healthy feeling. After actual visible (in myself, I guess not to others) improvements I never looked back and have never eaten to many processed things an nasty frozen food again :p

I have some other bookmarks on pages so when I go shopping I know what I should and shouldn't be buying/eating and this will go into my bookmarks then written down to go on the fridge an come with me shopping! thank you again this stuff is really a life saver in many different ways.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join