It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadiens boo StarSpangled Banner !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The sellout crowd of 21,273 at Bell Centre was asked to "show your support and respect for two great nations" before the singing of the American and Canadian national anthems.

But a significant portion of the crowd booed throughout "The Star-Spangled Banner" in an apparent display of their displeasure with the U.S.-led war against Iraq.

Another perfect example of sheer disrespect. I'm sure you will all say I am over reacting because of my "blind patriotism" as I have been accused of on here. I just think it is very disrespectful.

www.nhl.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I agree with you...this is very disrespectful! I seriously wonder what people hope to gain by acting like donkeys during this war? Times haven't changed a bit
and neither have people, they will continue to show their "true colors" during war (as they have in the past)
I will never understand why people protest war, because it will happen whether you protest or not. People need to realize that our future depends on this war. Instead of protesting something they know nothing about. They will never tell us the truth behind this war and how much danger we are in if Sadam and his army are not "disarmed". If people only knew that their little bottoms are being saved here and future generations, maybe they might respect America and those fighting this war!
I'm sorry I used your post to vent, but as a military spouse, I think I owe it to the men & women and our country to speak up a little....
Sincerely

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure a hockey crowd is entirely representative of a nation, Proud-A (distressing though this might be for many Americans) - people from the same city boo each other in English football matches and England v Scotland, at anything, is a fairly ugly business.
In any case, these were probably mostly French Canadians - upset by freedom fries, I shouldn't wonder: a strange lot the qu�b�cois: think they're more French than the French although the French, by and large, find them somewhat comical ( particularly when they speak) - never confuse sport with real life (sport's far more important)

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I go to hockey games all of the time (big Flyers fan) and I know very well that booing is very commonplace at these events. But when that anthem starts, whether it be the American or Canadien, evreybody stops what they're doing, stops talking, stands up, removes their hats if they're wearing them. It's disrespectful to talk during the anthem, let alone boo.
Majestica, dont be sorry, I couldn't agree with you more. I dont know why people cant see that we are trying to get rid of evil before something like 9/11 happens again. I am praying for all the men and women that are putting their life on the line to preserve our freedom. Our troops need our support right now, they are very courageous and brave. Tell your husband we are proud of him. God Bless America.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Those no good Canadians . If their foot was in our shoes . Well , that's just say that we ( Americans ) would defintily be more supportive.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I say let the booer's have their say and their day. Although I disagree with the position, it is their right to freely show their dissatisfaction for whatever they want.

I do have a dumb question if anyone could enlighten me on - what is the Canadian position on this war, both from the government and the public? The news has been surrounding the dsiapproval by France, germany and Russia....but I haven't seen much about Canada.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 05:21 AM
link   
in football (soccer) in uk i think opponants have always been bood when their anthem is playing :-/ wouldn't take it to heart it's just very sad people

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I've heard them boo it before at sporting events, it's just something to do to get under the other teams skin.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Most of the people I spoke with were simply happy they were out of the picture.... Most don't want war, but don't want Saddam in power either...

There seems to be a big difference between the western Canadians and the eastern Canadians....with the westerners being more laid back, but with some of the easterners being more of the anti-american sentiment. Granted, these are generalities, based on only speaking with some....but I hope it answers your question....

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Great!

It's called freedom of speech, and I am sure that the Canadian anthem has been booed many a time in the states.

Americans show disrespect for Canada, and cry when u get it in return.

AF1

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Just saw on ESPN the highlights of the game, the Islanders were relentless!! Tons of cheap shots on both sides, but the loss for the Montreal Canadiens ends all hopes of the playoffs for them!

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fantastic_Damage
Great!

It's called freedom of speech, and I am sure that the Canadian anthem has been booed many a time in the states.

Americans show disrespect for Canada, and cry when u get it in return.

You know this to be true, or are you merely assuming so as to support the booing?
As a matter of fact, I have a hat on top of my refridgerator (Been meaning to put it on the hat rack, but as its semi out of sight, it never gets down) that has both the Canadian flag as well as the U.S. flag. Stupid me, I didn't know I was supposed to be anti-Canadian.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This is only a small part of a much wider picture. People all around the World are showing their displeasure with the U.S at the moment, though you probably don't see a lot of it in the American media. Even Schoolchildren in Britain and around Europe are leaving School without permission to form their own protests, and our children aren't renowned for their interest in politics. I would prepare yourself for a lot more of the same.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fantastic_Damage
Great!

It's called freedom of speech, and I am sure that the Canadian anthem has been booed many a time in the states

Are you sure? I know for one you aren't speaking for me.
I think you must be forgetting what's going on in the world. Now is not the time to play disrespectful "booing" games. Also I don't think it's very appropriate for you to laugh either! Let's just think hypothetically for a moment, and imagine your husband or wife or any family member being over there fighting or dying. Would you still be laughing? No, I think not.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Who cares? We won, Canucks lost. Canadians, go up and wipe out the Canucks. See how
much they boo when we make them America's female dog.

Besides, they have "O Canada",and while might boo at it, probably just because Canada sucks,
nothing political about it.(sorry, don't like Canucks, they just rub me the wrong way)

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Just last night I was at the Detroit Red Wings game and when the American National Anthem was sung, I stood and listened. I was watched all the international players standing, with helmets off as well. I'd never disrespect to anyone's anthem or flag. Their government is one thing, but the people are another. Sure there people that I don't like, and to me it doesn't matter what flag you live under, if you're an a$$ you're an a$$.

We just rub you the wrong way do we? Any way in particular? Just curious, because your rationale was very convincing. And as far as the 'bitch' comment, really. But as in anything, us Canadians will listen to your point as for the validity of it, the jury is still out on that one.

new topics

top topics

join