It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Email Was Tampered With...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish
Definitely clean out your computer Amy, it seems like it's been compromised for sure.

I'm mostly a user, and though I know quite a bit about how computers are built, "cleaning out" is a process I am less familiar with. And, to be fair, I think I was compromised a long while ago. I have stories to tell. I guess as long as I can remain capable of reaching out on the Interweb without too much disruption, I'm doing ok.

If this becomes a trend, I may worry. (Though if they're going to the effort, if they'd throw out the spam, I might appreciate their presence... [grin])

EDIT to add: My clue that this took place somewhere on the Yahoo side of things and not through my computer was the altering of my outgoing message after the fact. That is not something One can do as a mere user. So if they were accessing my email through my computer, they could not have changed my outgoing (sent already) message.
edit on 2/14/2011 by Amaterasu because: Addition

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Well, it definitely sounds like you've been hacked. I don't much about that stuff except for that I don't want it happening to me. I wish I had some advice but I don't, although I'm sure some of the brainier people here on ATS should be able to offer up some tips. I'll be watching for their post if for no other reason than to learn how to protect myself. Thanks for posting.

On another note, I just LOVED your response to them when they banned you from their site. You nailed them and they definitely didn't like it. My question is; Did it cost you any points? Every time I respond like that to a conservative here on ATS, it cost me some points. LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I'm just amazed at the hubris - and the blatant actions They're taking.

Thanks for your replies.

There is hacking and then there is commercial hacking.
Last night, I went to a card-making site to make up a Valentine card.
Of the several present that I could choose, they all allowed you to insert a personal picture and indeed, contained a picture. In scanning the row of about six, I was astounding that at the end was a picture I recognized!. Not only that, but I had taken the picture myself. Stupidly, I was amazed. How could that be, a billion to one chance? Wait! No! The image is only retained in my files and was not ever printed out on my machine or at a store. So, a slow dawning. That site had sneaked into my photo files and chose one to show in their card.

For the longest time, I could not understand why our government would allowed all sorts of outfits to sneak into our computers to watch our insert things. Not long ago the truth dawned--OK, I 'm old and slow-witted--they made no attempt to really stop that stuff except spam because they were up to the exactl same tricks or had eventual plans to do it. And if that intrustions were allowed to become normal by commercial interests, then who could complain too loudly when the friendly government did the same?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Well, it definitely sounds like you've been hacked. I don't much about that stuff except for that I don't want it happening to me. I wish I had some advice but I don't, although I'm sure some of the brainier people here on ATS should be able to offer up some tips. I'll be watching for their post if for no other reason than to learn how to protect myself. Thanks for posting.

On another note, I just LOVED your response to them when they banned you from their site. You nailed them and they definitely didn't like it. My question is; Did it cost you any points? Every time I respond like that to a conservative here on ATS, it cost me some points. LOL

Well the email war to the conservative board, not here, so I don't think my points are at issue. Besides, I pay so little attention to points, I wouldn't know if any were missing. LOL!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

this may hold the answer to your question ...I was checking out Peter B Collins pod cast to and thought I would pass this along ...Chamber of Commerce Goons Plot Cyberwar with Chamber’s Critics!
peterbcollins.com...

Brad Friedman of Bradblog.com and Kevin Zeese from StoptheChamber.com detail the newly exposed plan to disrupt and discredit critics of the US Chamber of Commerce. This is quite a story–cyber security experts who have worked for our government and the powerful DC law firm, Hunton & Williams (H & W)–are exposed plotting against Chamber critics and WikiLeaks supporters via the release of thousands of emails by hackers known as Anonymous. “Team Themis” is comprised of 3 cyber security firms– Berico, Palantir and HBGary Federal; the emails and attachments included detailed info on Friedman and Salon.com writer Glenn Greenwald, along with plans to improperly collect Facebook data on them and others, and to plant false information with WikiLeaks and others that could be used to discredit them. While the Chamber claims it didn’t know about the efforts, the emails suggest that the Chamber retained H & W to collect bids for the disinformation campaign, and the vendors were planning to charge $2 million per month for managing the Chamber’s sophisticated attack plans....peace

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Thank you for that. I am sure someone on the "inside" was responsible for my email looking as it looks now (how else could the content of my outgoing email have changed?).

I suspect I struck a nerve pretty high up...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

My clue that this took place somewhere on the Yahoo side of things and not through my computer was the altering of my outgoing message after the fact. That is not something One can do as a mere user. So if they were accessing my email through my computer, they could not have changed my outgoing (sent already) message.

This a very concerning turn of events indeed. Has much been altered? I use to have a yahoo account, but sometimes there have been months that I have been locked out of it. I have pretty much given up on them. Might check it occasionally if I am board but have another account that I use instead. With what you are trying to do I suggest you research for some local reputable email server with strong security practices. Depending how high up these nefarious practices go your email may still be subject to attack as it travels through cyberspace, but once stored it will be safe. You have got a lot of good things to say and I do not want to hear you silenced.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev

My clue that this took place somewhere on the Yahoo side of things and not through my computer was the altering of my outgoing message after the fact. That is not something One can do as a mere user. So if they were accessing my email through my computer, they could not have changed my outgoing (sent already) message.

This a very concerning turn of events indeed. Has much been altered? I use to have a yahoo account, but sometimes there have been months that I have been locked out of it. I have pretty much given up on them. Might check it occasionally if I am board but have another account that I use instead. With what you are trying to do I suggest you research for some local reputable email server with strong security practices. Depending how high up these nefarious practices go your email may still be subject to attack as it travels through cyberspace, but once stored it will be safe. You have got a lot of good things to say and I do not want to hear you silenced.

Thank you. All that was altered was the deletion of the BANNED email they sent to me, and the text from them in my reply email - they took out the BANNED text and added their "Welcome to the forum" text. I'll see what I can find emailwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join