It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you worship nothing....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If you don't believe in gods or goddesses... do you still believe in spirits and angels or whatever? and if you do, do you worship them? If you worship nothing and no one, then how do you find peace? I need peace and in the past I looked to the judeo christian god of the bible. Now I don't look to him anymore, I'm kinda learning a lot now of other religions and deities. I want to believe in something, but I don't want to believe in anything just for the sake of believing. I don't want to love a deception just to have a false peace of mind. How do you atheists do it? I really need help with this, I feel so lost.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I believe in a self-aware universe. A universe that as it created itself, was primatively aware that it was created. This self observation had a side affect... life. The awareness in each of us is what makes life more than just a mobile watery meatbag of constant chemical reactions. Our awareness control these bodies. Your brain is just an organ, it thinks and does, but your conscious awareness selects what the brain accesses. The brain stores memories and your personality. When your body dies, the memories and personality die with it. Unless you can't let go of your identity, in which you become a ghost (electromagnetic anomaly). But otherwise your awareness is free. At least until science proves otherwise, and I will be open minded, happily waiting for the news.
edit on 9-2-2011 by ALLisMIND because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What about trust and truth, anyone can believe.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I can't believe in something that can not be proven. sorry religion is just not for me.. What i do believe in and what DOES give me peace is faith in humanity, The act of kindness Just Look into someones eyes. the next time you do something for them or compliment them.. then you will know there is only one truth..

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

I'm just here alive, I don't know how or why, but I am. I live my life and try my best to avoid stress and ignorant people that piss me off, because as far as I know, this is my only life so I don't want to spend if frustrated 24/7. Also a certain sticky green plant helps with the peace of mind.

I understand where you're coming from though, sometimes I want to punch a hole in the wall because I get so depressed and angry that me or nobody else knows what happens after we die, it's a scary thought really. But I definitely don't want to spend my life devoted to the teachings of some book used as a coping mechanism for fear of death, especially when there are like 20 of these books that all contradict each other. I would have to guess that like 50% of people are religious because they fear death and they need hope that it doesn't all end when the brain stops functioning. (No offense to anyone that's religious, just my opinion)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
If you don't believe in gods or goddesses... do you still believe in spirits and angels or whatever? and if you do, do you worship them?

I don't have any real specific beliefs as regards non-physical beings. But I don't think the physical Universe is all there is. And no. I don't worship anything.

If you worship nothing and no one, then how do you find peace?

Within myself. Maybe my "higher self". I meditate, use hypnosis, talk with my husband and my friends. I pretty much have peace.

I want to believe in something, but I don't want to believe in anything just for the sake of believing.

I think that's good that you don't want to believe just for the sake of believing in something. But I'm not sure why you would want to believe in something, unless it's just a feeling of absence where your old, religious-based beliefs once were. If that's the case, give it time.
You'll get used to discovering what you believe instead of pushing the idea.

How do you atheists do it?

I really was never at peace when I was involved with religion. Since letting it all go and adjusting to the idea of real autonomy, I have become very comfortable with it.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Believe in yourself. Let others worry about gods, spirits and so on. I can't understand how people devote so much of their life to something based on a whim of faith.

I consider myself atheist, and I used to be a 'strong' Christian. I live for my happiness, I like to achieve my goals, and spend time with family and friends. All the while, I respect other people, and wouldn't do anything to hurt or harm them. I also respect their beliefs and just agree to disagree.

I find my peace knowing that I am alive and have a chance to live my life as I choose. As far as after death, I just accept that I don't know, and knowing wouldn't change anything anyways.

Good luck and peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Why would you need to worship someone/something to find peace?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Inner peace and love are experienced through outer peace and love.

'Even offering three hundred bowls of food three times a day does not match the spiritual merit gained in one moment of love.'
Nagarjuna

"If there is love, there is hope that one may have real families, real brotherhood, real equanimity, real peace. If the love within your mind is lost and you see other beings as enemies, then no matter how much knowledge or education or material comfort you have, only suffering and confusion will ensue"
His Holiness the Dalai Lama

It is said that the awareness of a Buddha is completely even, like the ocean, taking in equally the joys and sorrows of all people, friends, loved ones, relatives, and those never met. This is the meaning of a statement made by so many of the world's great spiritual teachers,
"Love your enemy."
It doesn't mean love the person you hate. You can't do that. Love those who hate you.
From 'Buddhism with an Attitude: The Tibetan Seven-Point Mind-Training'

Truely to find peace, you must let go of your hate.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I try to not believe things.
I like knowing things for sure.

Believing is assuming something without actually knowing it.

If you do not know something for sure, why do you act like you do?

I choose to be happy despite the crappy world. I do not need outside sources to find meaning in my life. I create meaning by giving myself direction of my choosing.

The problem is not which belief is right, the problem is that both beliefs are assumptions being passed off as facts.

You cannot be happy by basing your self upon outside factors.
If you get bent out of shape over what people say or do, or what things exist outside of yourself, than you are setting yourself up for a major crash. Because the outside world sucks most of the time, so it's just a matter of time that your outward conditionals will cause you to become very angry resentful and unhappy.

You must choose happiness and fulfillment 100% entirely on your internal attitude. You must choose happiness no matter what problems exist in life.

This is the key to regaining control of your life.

I don't worship anything.
I am however, Thankful for Everything.
I try not to take life for granted. No one's perfect, but we gotta try at least!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Why would you need to worship someone/something to find peace?

I wonder that as well?
Belief is not the same as Faith or Worship.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLisMIND

I agree with the basic jist of what you have posted. It is relevant and logical.

However, I have great distaste for people ruining good common sense by trying to attribute it to their "holy person" or "saint" or "prophet" or "messiah" or whatever. It's absurd.

What is the best way to get common sense and flush it down the toilet?
Turn it into a religion, and always attribute everything to an individual person.

That way most people will just reject those common sense statements as being "used for an agenda" to "get more converts to their belief system".

I am just saying I like hearing people say it in their own words. Copying religious figures exactly and attributing everything to them seems like you aren't learning anything, just repeating stuff.

If you really learned it, why cannot you say it as yourself? Why not present it with your own flavor?

That's why I said it's distasteful. I don't taste any "personal flavor" in it. Please add some spice.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Believe in yourself.
Demand nothing.
Expect nothing.

Help those who truly need it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
Believe in yourself.
Demand nothing.
Expect nothing.

Help those who truly need it.

Only thing that should ever be demanded is the truth! I also expect it too.
edit on 9-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I don't pray to a god or goddess if I want to talk to something more powerful than me I speak to the universe...

I still get the same results as I did when I believed in god but it seems more fitting to me...

edit on 9-2-2011 by TV_Nation because: typo

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wouldn't say I worship anything, but I do have a great relationship with my Ancestors.

I don't think they would appreciate being worshipped, as they are my friends and relatives who have moved on from the physical world.

I do like to thank them every day for their protection (When I remember. If I forget, they don't mind.), and helping to make my life easier though.
I also converse with them in my mind, and sometimes out loud when I know I'm alone, and unlikely to be overheard.

We have a pretty casual thing going on, and joke around quite a lot. No room for fancy rituals and airs and graces here.
I think they would be a bit embarassed if I started worshipping them though.

That's my trip, and it works for me, plus I can relate to them because I know them and they have nothing to gain by doing me any harm.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You don't need an entity to find peace; utilize and embrace your own spirituality because ultimately that is the only intangible that is unique and exists in every person. Take a good look at the world, and outline how privileged and safe you are as opposed to fellow brothers. Don't worry or feel obligated to serve a manufactured idea of peace, this immediately limits your own potential within a box; you have to understand that there isn't a box to begin with and no one truly has the answers to "why". Just make sure you're globally aware of both the beauty and fragile nature of earth because many of the world's people never even get the chance to. In the end, we are all irrelevant and ultimately equal, no one has proved otherwise. Remember there is always someone that shares the same existence, but are less fortunate in their placement. Embrace the things that you enjoy and make you happy, even if that means simply knowing that there is some one out there at this very moment who didn't get the chance. Life is not a contest; what you achieve in life is meaningless, but what you overcome truly defines who you are. If you lead a moralistic life, respect and help others, and become aware of those who suffer..then you'll be able to find peace within your own spirit. You don't need to reach mountaintops, but reach your hand to those below whenever you can and pull them up.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Hmm...

I dont believe in god so to speak. And i dont feel i need to look to a diety or something which can do/perform "miracles" and all that jazz Mr Jezus suposidly did.

I do believe there is a hidden side to religion that may be quite important. I believe it not coincidence that alot of the religions around the world - have the same story - different writer.

I take comfort in the fact that by not placing my faith in a specific thing/being.

If there is a creator/devine being - im sure we will meet when my time has come. I doubt they will be angry at me for not throwing my faith cards around randomly either. As i live my life the best i can, i do things which i feel are right, and do not judge others based on their own choices.

TLDR - I believe there may be something. Rather than spend my time investing in religions which have been modified over the centuries by man - and because of how the language has changed mean nothing like what they were origionaly meant to mean. And i state again - If there is a devine being etc - i dobut they would be pissy or upset i refuzed to name a faith and start praying. I'd prefer to just keep living the best i can, follow my heart, and if there is a Devine being/creator - we'll have a big chat someday ey?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm highly aligned with Benevolent Heretic & muzzleflash in this area, but often wonder why worship enters into the situation. I do not understand this need for faith or "belief in" something coupled with the compulsion to worship the same. Some people have a need to worship something or sustain a belief or faith - the faith gene is not in my makeup, neither is worship. Dogmas I have adopted are more pollitical than spiritual (supreme law of the land being the constitution). Finding peace isn't so much an issue as just allowing it to happen.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

If you worship nothing and no one, then how do you find peace? I need peace and in the past I looked to the judeo christian god of the bible. Now I don't look to him anymore, I'm kinda learning a lot now of other religions and deities. I want to believe in something, but I don't want to believe in anything just for the sake of believing. I don't want to love a deception just to have a false peace of mind.

The word "worship" is so strong. You love a spouse, your children, your pets. The word worship, implies even more than that, I cannot imagine feeling more for maybe just a fantasy of a being, than my family.

I believe in an intelligent universe that somehow guides us through life, sometimes gently, sometimes not so gently. I believe in the quiet beauty of nature. I find more peace staring at a butterfly or a flower or the eyes of a puppy, than I ever have in any bible, or thought of a deity.

On occasion, out of curiousity, I have peaked into the bible, and judging from the content of the page I open it up at, it's not the book for me. I always seem to open it at something that just isn't right. :shk:

I do hope that our energy continues after death, self-aware. Only then will we have the answers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join