It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO offers troops after Mideast peace deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

NATO offers troops after Mideast peace deal

news.yahoo.com

HERZLIYA, Israel – NATO would offer peacekeeping services to Israelis and Palestinians if both parties request it in a peace deal, the alliance's secretary general said Wednesday

Anders Fogh Rasmussen said NATO would intervene if a future peace treaty was broken or if the two sides needed assistance.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is an interesting development.

It would probably be in both sides best interests to make this request.

What I would like to know, is which NATO countries would contribute forces?

I think Israel would have no issue with US troops or UK troops. Who would the Palestinians be ok with? Turkey?
This wil be something to keep an eye on as it develops. I think if it does happen, there could be a real chance for an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

On the surface it sounds reasonable but should anything break out, such as riots, bombings or even war with Nato boots in the middle you're risking dragging those countries into the abyss and then who knows what next.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

NATO has had experience with that in the Balkans and Afghanistan, so I don't think that will be a huge issue.

I actually expect some kind of operation in Gaza. Right now NATO and the EU recognize the Palestinian Authority not Hamas. At some point Gaza would have to be brought back into the PA fold.

Overall though, the conflict as a whole would be over and Israel would have a buffer to Iran. I don't think Iran would attack NATO. Israel could get rid of its nuclear weapons. It would be good for all sides.
edit on 9/2/11 by MikeboydUS because: get

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I think Israel would have no issue with US troops or UK troops. Who would the Palestinians be ok with? Turkey?
This wil be something to keep an eye on as it develops. I think if it does happen, there could be a real chance for an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

NATO has many countries besides the US and the UK, some of them have participated or even organized talks about the Middles East problem, so I think there are several that could be accepted by both sides.

An interesting idea.

new topics

top topics

join