It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanoparticle gives antimicrobial ability to fight Listeria longer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Nanoparticle gives antimicrobial ability to fight Listeria longer

www.purdue.edu

A Purdue University research team developed a nanoparticle that can hold and release an antimicrobial agent as needed for extending the shelf life of foods susceptible to Listeria monocytogenes.

Yuan Yao, an assistant professor of food science, altered the surface of a carbohydrate found in sweet corn called phytoglycogen, which led to the creation of several forms of a nanoparticle that could attract and stabilize nisin, a food-based antimicrobial peptide. The nanoparticle can then preserve nisin for up to three weeks, combating Listeria, a potentially lethal foodborne pathogen found in me
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.scien cedirect.com
www.nanotech-now.com
www.foodproductdesign.com
www.highb eam.com

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Interesting so they want to expand the shelf life of meats and dairy from 5 days to 21 days. It's a good goal, I imagine there is a lot of wastage in delis. In the additional links below I found the original online paper (abstract) but it's above my head. Also at the very end there is a link to a report that the company making nisin (the preservative) also is looking at using it orally to treat people infected with certain food illnesses that cause diarrhia. So I guess if they add it to the food the worst that will happen is that it will kill any bacteria in your intestine on it's way throught.

Not sure we should be spraying our food with anti bacterial agents, we are already causing superbugs from too much anti-bacterial soap etc now they want to treat everyone with a antibacterial food additive till we cause superbugs inside someone that then spread.

www.purdue.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
thank you for posting this. I have a 5 minute nanotechnology presentation in my project management class later today and I am so using this article !!!

This is definitely a great breakthrough. Less spoiled/ moldy food means more mouths to feed.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

This is really interesting, I wonder do you think this is a nano particle
the kind that could take on a life of its own?

Does the nano particle have a shelf like also?

Hummmm....

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

It's nano as in small not nano as in nanite which are the selfpowered ones. From the extract it looks like they took a molecule of corn carbohydrate and modified it so that it acts like a sponge, then it absorbs the preservative. The little sponges and the preservative are both sprayed ont he meat and as the preservative breaks down the sponges slowly leak new fresh preservative out onto the meat. It doesn't say why the preservative doesn't break down when it's in the little carbohydrate sponges though.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Ok, I follow you on the nano part...
Wow, this is mind boggling. I just wonder about the long term consequences in the
environment, and also in the food chain.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Not sure I want to be injesting that much antibacterial stuff into my stomach and intestines. Sounds like a good way to upset the balance.

new topics

top topics

join