It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people find conspiracies so hard to believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've often wondered why Conspiracy theory has become a term of derision in the media when making something look like a conspiracy is very easy. It just takes money. The killing of JFK is an obvious conspiracy. Whoever orchestrated this was very smart and had a lot of money.

All you need to do is hire different groups to carry out the killing and you use third parties to set up the murder. These groups that you hire to kill your target don't know about each other and you also set up a patsy to take the fall.

This way when the crime is investigated, you will find evidence that points in different directions and therefore nothing will be conclusive.

With JFK, I have seen evidence that supports the mafia killed him. I have also seen evidence that communist killed him and there's evidence that points to government involvement. And of course there's evidence that points to Oswald.

Again, this would be very easy to set up if you had billions of dollars at your disposal. That's why I don't get why some conspiracy theories are hard to believe. I think it's pretty obvious and I think people just have a desire to know something even when they don't know.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
I've often wondered why Conspiracy theory has become a term of derision in the media when making something look like a conspiracy is very easy. It just takes money. The killing of JFK is an obvious conspiracy. Whoever orchestrated this was very smart and had a lot of money.

All you need to do is hire different groups to carry out the killing and you use third parties to set up the murder. These groups that you hire to kill your target don't know about each other and you also set up a patsy to take the fall.

This way when the crime is investigated, you will find evidence that points in different directions and therefore nothing will be conclusive.

With JFK, I have seen evidence that supports the mafia killed him. I have also seen evidence that communist killed him and there's evidence that points to government involvement. And of course there's evidence that points to Oswald.

Again, this would be very easy to set up if you had billions of dollars at your disposal. That's why I don't get why some conspiracy theories are hard to believe. I think it's pretty obvious and I think people just have a desire to know something even when they don't know.

Conspiracy theories are usually hard for people to believe because of a lack of evidence. Once that evidence is found, it's no longer just a theory.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
And some seem to be far fetched. Like the Govn't killing it's own people in a huge coverup as an excuse to invade a country

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If the question you are asking is the question in the title, then I believe the answer is the fact it is called a "conspiracy". Many people associate this word with nutty shut-ins living in bomb shelters, and they think that if they buy into any of those stories would associate them with said nutty people.

link   

I believe there are conspiracies and the example you chose to illustrate was a good one.

Even though I believe that there are cover ups and conspiracies I don't think every little thing that happens is a conspiracy. We all know CRAP HAPPENS.

Some tend to lose all intelligent reasoning when it comes to why things happen or how it happened.

I have to stop writing or I might upset some people on here and that is not what I want to do.

Lets just say some forget to apply common sense to help their BS detection meter.

Have fun and good luck with you thread.

edit on 7-2-2011 by topdog30 because: misspelling

link   
Most people are too lazy to put that much effort into doing anything.

Putting that much effort into covering up and lying is just hard to imagine.

Keeping a couple of itty-bitty personal secrets uses up most people's energy enough for a life time. "oh, Great-Aunt Betty is really Aunt Betty. opps. Grandpa had a brother that was institutionalized. horrors."

When you consider the effort and energy put into breaking up something and diminishing its importance, or directing people's attention elsewhere, it just seems hard to internalize that level of effort. Living with the consequence of the truth seems like a lot less work.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Arrogance of people keeps secrets more than any paid gov agency clown trying to keep them.

Arrogance of the public.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Fundamentally, I think it boils down to left brain conditioning. Some argue this conditioning began circa 3500 B.C.E., when Egyptian priests shifted the focus from a whole brain paradigm (Matriarchal) to a left brain (Patriarchal) paradigm. Among other things, left brain is associated with logic and reason, which would lend itself to conditioning of sorts.

Once we are established in the left brain, the dichotomy of duality is introduced: night/day, right/wrong, Coke/Pepsi, Democrat/Republican. This duality system is controlled in such a way that both sides are played against one another to perpetuate the system. All the while, people "logically" adopt either persona and root for that team, not realizing there may be alternatives.

Concurrently, both systems are measured and constructed in such a way that an illusion is presented to appeal to the better nature of man, often under concepts of nationality, regionalism, etc. Ultimately, the person identifies with the supposed ideals behind either control mechanism, rather than the information or reality.

So, with that said, many don't believe in conspiracies because they have been directed to make a series of seemingly logical choices, that to deviate from that plan breaks a "presented" logic and is reinforced by the fear of being separated from the collective.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
on eof the big factors for me is the fact for something to be a conspiracy it involves multiple people and as we all know the more people who know about something the harder it is to keep quiet.

the thing i find funny is how most of these tin foil wearing "shut-ins" on this forum would rather beleive a deep dark conspiracy involving thousands of people rather then the real story that involves 3 people and a series of coincedences.

it is also very hard to beleive anything, when everything is turned into a conspiracy, this site has become a garbage land of far fetched,insane thoughts that should never see the light of day so when your typical real conspiracy comes out it is over shadowed and dismissed.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

Thanks for insulting the people of these forums, you're such a nice person.

What conspiracy involving thousands of people are you talking about? I haven't heard of any on that scale.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

With regard to JFK you should read "American Tabloid" by James Ellroy- it's fiction, but he definitely lays out a convincing case against the mob.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LunchBocks

You hit the nail on the head. People dont believe in "conspiracy theories" becuase they have bee conditioned not to. The meaning of the world conspiracy has been made to mean crazy and automatically be associated with theory and therefore not fact even if evidence says otherwise. The very mention of the word conspiracy brings up a mental "slide" to stop listening any further. Thats the power of modern technology like TV with a mainstream media and entertainment industry in bed with CIA hell bent on manipulating your thoughts. De conditioning means actually changing peoples sub conscious belief systems which can be rather difficult after years of indoctrination. Its natural to defend your belief systems which make up your world view. This is the heart of the problem. Imagine if people had the balls to hijack news broadcasts and slip pieces of truth to the public influencing them without them realizing it. Imagine using symbols written on the subway walls or money to get people to think. Even if only sub consciously. That is the most powerful way.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crystalbeing

Exactly, people who can't debate the evidence or logic just yell conspiracy theory and half of the audience will just shut down because a conspiracy theory must be nutty.

A conspiracy theory is so easy to carry out if you have money. You start with a small nucleus and then the conspiracy spreads out. When the investigation occurs you will get,"Well, some guy named Manny gave me a suitcase with $50,000 in it and...." Well Manny will not be his real name and then there will be 4 or 5 people who could be Manny and the nucleus of the conspiracy will never be touched.

People act like in order to carry out a conspiracy you will need to keep hundreds of people quiet. This is just silly. Most of the people in the web of the conspiracy have no clue about the conspiracy or the nucleus of the conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunchBocks
If the question you are asking is the question in the title, then I believe the answer is the fact it is called a "conspiracy". Many people associate this word with nutty shut-ins living in bomb shelters, and they think that if they buy into any of those stories would associate them with said nutty people.

Right on brother.
Not only is conspiracy a pretty loaded word per sé, but so is theory. Although the word has a drastically different definition in academic circles, to everyone else 'theory' is used when poisoning someone's well (evolution is just a theory) or when making an unsupported claim. That's my theory anyway (see what I did there?). Its an unfortunate clash of connotation, really.
Another reason why people don't take conspiracy research seriously is because its not an academic field. Its a very broad and painfully vague field of research, filled with legitimate nutjobs, legitimately misinformed people, and probably one or two disinformation agents at the very least. Verifying (or disproving) a conspiracy takes a greater amount of time and patience than most people possess or want to use on this kind of research.
Plus we're rarely exposed to serious, scientifically minded conspiracy theorists.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Arrogance of people keeps secrets more than any paid gov agency clown trying to keep them.

Arrogance of the public.

And fear.

Its pretty scaring knowing that truth. So we will rather take the comfy lie.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

reply to post by crystalbeing

Exactly, people who can't debate the evidence or logic just yell conspiracy theory and half of the audience will just shut down because a conspiracy theory must be nutty.

A conspiracy theory is so easy to carry out if you have money. You start with a small nucleus and then the conspiracy spreads out. When the investigation occurs you will get,"Well, some guy named Manny gave me a suitcase with $50,000 in it and...." Well Manny will not be his real name and then there will be 4 or 5 people who could be Manny and the nucleus of the conspiracy will never be touched.

People act like in order to carry out a conspiracy you will need to keep hundreds of people quiet. This is just silly. Most of the people in the web of the conspiracy have no clue about the conspiracy or the nucleus of the conspiracy.

social programming via propaganda works doesn't it? They don't think. They just accept a preprogrammed command.

BAM! presto!

mission accomplished.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
And fear.

Its pretty scaring knowing that truth. So we will rather take the comfy lie.

Agreed, was just about to say the same. Conditioning is probably part of it, but not all of it. Fear plays a part, as does people being taken out of their comfort zones, having their world views shattered, their beliefs, hope for the future, and several other related things.

Also a sense of hopelessness. OK, they find out something like the government and military having big evil plans for the Human race....then what? What can one person do about it? It's not an easy step to take, and often involves huge changes in the way everything is seen. Now that we're so connected with the internet and people can see groups researching the same things though, that should change.
edit on 7-2-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

top topics

join