It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vodafone: Egypt forced us to send text messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Vodafone: Egypt forced us to send text messages

news.yahoo.com

Egyptian authorities forced Vodafone to broadcast pro-government text messages during the protests that have rocked the country, the U.K.-based mobile company said Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Really? Egypt might not have the internet but the rest of the world does. This just goes to show you that Mubarak and people like him must be removed. I wonder if he really thought that this wouldnt get out? I wonder how many other countries that are protesting are getting these same texts. Isnt syria supossed to be on for tomarrow?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

This is pretty low tactics and has already kinda backfired with all the annoyed customers who have not been happy at recieving these messages.

We also have no proof that these were sent due to pressure from Egyptian authorites. We are not privvy to who REALLY ordered this and I find it hard to believe a large communication company would bow to such blatant political propaganda on such a wide scale.

Who runs Vodaphone???

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Looks like Vodafone is having problems deciding on which side of the fence to sit.

Although, goes without saying, revenue and profit is what matters to them most.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm with vodaphone.
Not anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

I find it hard to believe a large communication company would bow to such blatant political propaganda on such a wide scale.

You obviously never watch television then.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
You obviously never watch television then.

Absolutely right.

Television is for spoonfeeding.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm a LARGE user of Vodafone............. But I shall be terminating my accounts that i have held for over 10 years.......

This lack of action on their part has cost them me and my business !!

As long as they made a profit....... good for them...!! IDIOTS...... they said that they were unable to stop it but one way they could have is to have closed their network down themselves...

PDUK
edit on 3-2-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Forced? Unless you mean literally held a gun to your head, it wasn't forced....

As a business owner, no client drives my business... And if they try I cut them loose...

No business owner is ever forced to do anything, they choose to.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56

Really? Egypt might not have the internet but the rest of the world does. This just goes to show you that Mubarak and people like him must be removed. I wonder if he really thought that this wouldnt get out? I wonder how many other countries that are protesting are getting these same texts. Isnt syria supossed to be on for tomarrow?

news.yahoo.com

Of course they dont think it would get out. The reason being is in countries where information is controlled (dictatorships etc) their is a monopoly on the system. Its not out of the realm of possibility for Egypt to say do this, or you are done in this country (financial loss to the company in a monopoly market).

Not all companies are going to refuse business based on ethics. Its nice to see that there still are companies out there who do the right thing.

top topics

join