It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European leaders demand immediate Egypt transition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

European leaders demand immediate Egypt transition

news.yahoo.com

MADRID – The leaders of France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain ratcheted up the pressure Thursday on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, saying that Egypt's political transition "must start now."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel also insisted that Mubarak's government put a stop to attacks against anti-government protesters and journalists.

A joint statement from the five European leaders said they are watching the unrest in Egypt with deep concern and condemned "all those who use or encourage violence, which will only aggravate the political crisis in Egypt."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
President Obama needs to show solidarity with our European allies and the Egyptian people, and demand that the Mubarak regime change now.

We need to stop prevaricating and give an unequivocal reponse to the violence and oppression going on in Egypt. We cannot stand idly by as innocent people are killed and while journalists are beaten or arrested.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Obama did exactly that. He not only called Mubarak and told him he needs to leave now, but he also said it on TV. What more do you want?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I dunno...

I understand they would like to help but...
I think the EU and the US should shut up and butt out, let the Egyptians work this out on their own.
Just an opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
In fact, what these "courageous" leaders said is almost exactly verbatim what Obama said:

"Obviously, if any of the violence is instigated by the government, it should stop immediately," spokesman Robert Gibbs said. He reiterated Obama's public call Tuesday evening, communicated directly to Mubarak in a telephone call, that "the time for a transition has come, and that time is now."

Source

The leaders of France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain ratcheted up the pressure Thursday on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, saying that Egypt's political transition "must start now."

(From your article)

Where's the difference, except that Obama said it FIRST?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If we want a better image in the region, we need to speak out.

That and the safety and security of the Suez canal, especially for Europe, is vital for the global economy.

I'm not saying we deploy troops or blockade Egypt, just show solidarity.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Oh I hear ya about Suez but so far none of that has happen or will happen IMO.
Yes, Obama has already spoken out. Now it's time for the Egyptians to choose their path. Hopefully it wont go the way Iran did. But again that's none of our concern...
edit on 3-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I watched the POTUS earlier today and he still hasn't been firm in his response. He seemed unsure of himself and wouldn't make any direct condemnations.

The most firm reponse I have heard out of our government was from Secretary Clinton, which I applaud her for. My unit had the privilege of providing security for then Senator Clinton in Afghanistan some years back and she doesn't take crap from anyone. She's not the POTUS though.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

If we want a better image in the region, we need to speak out.

That and the safety and security of the Suez canal, especially for Europe, is vital for the global economy.

I'm not saying we deploy troops or blockade Egypt, just show solidarity.

It might be vital for Global economy but it's closure would defiantly prevent the flow of Chinese goods

Sorry couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

You would think China would be jumping all over this just to make sure the canal is secure and safe.

They are definitely not on the side of the protesters though as evidenced by Chinese news media.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I watched the POTUS earlier today and he still hasn't been firm in his response. He seemed unsure of himself and wouldn't make any direct condemnations.

The most firm reponse I have heard out of our government was from Secretary Clinton, which I applaud her for. My unit had the privilege of providing security for then Senator Clinton in Afghanistan some years back and she doesn't take crap from anyone. She's not the POTUS though.

I thought he sounded like the Egyptian PM, playing both sides, can understand his point of view tho, caught between a rock and hard place.. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.. some reporters are claiming snipers on the rooftops.. not sure how real that is or if it is fear speaking,

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Obama cant side with the Euro leaders for the fact if he makes mubarak change his regime, Israel would be pissed and no one wants to piss them off

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
It might be vital for Global economy but it's closure would defiantly prevent the flow of Chinese goods

Sorry couldn't resist.

Closure to whom?
The EU?

We could get our oil shipped through the Indian and Pacific oceans. China ships directly across the Pacific to us. So in essence it's the EU who are the ones who really need to push for the Suez canal to remain open. If they move on it I'd suggest the US sit on the sidelines during any kind of intervention etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

reply to post by thoughtsfull

You would think China would be jumping all over this just to make sure the canal is secure and safe.
They are definitely not on the side of the protesters though as evidenced by Chinese news media.

I am sure they really do not want their population get any funny ideas, and a few of the Chinese bloggers have been interviewed on TV today discussing the topic, and how the Chinese people are watching the situation closely.. I really do wonder how far this could spread.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

1956 all over again?

Sit back while France and the UK seize control of the Suez?

I don't know if I would want them doing anything without us at least making sure that damage control is in effect. EU intervention could spark a larger crisis if left unchecked.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Sorry couldn't resist.

Closure to whom?
The EU?
We could get our oil shipped through the Indian and Pacific oceans. China ships directly across the Pacific to us. So in essence it's the EU who are the ones who really need to push for the Suez canal to remain open. If they move on it I'd suggest the US sit on the sidelines during any kind of intervention etc.

I meant closure for the flow of Chinese goods to Europe.. as far as I am aware the closure would add 15 days per trip to Europe but only a few extra to the US.. I really hope that Europe does not try any intervention as it would be a folly..

The US on the other hand has no reason to get involved (aside from any threat it brings to allied countries in the region)

BTW.. it was a joke.. what with all the calls to stop the flow of Chinese goods

edit on 3/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
well I would say that the leaders of
France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain
are saying this only for one reason.
And that reason is cuz the unrest in Egypt
is hurting their investment bankers in the region
by having a stop in the Egyptian Stock Market.
To them this is about money and a bottom
line. To Egypt, this is about their future.
Big difference.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

YUP...

That would be their baggage. It would be nice for a change for some other countries to take the heat in the region instead of the US all of the time. About Chinese goods/ME oil there again it would be an EU issue more than a US.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

And this would be different then any other time he is on tv talking about foreign events?

second line

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Let's translate this article.

We, as leaders, whose campaigns were funded by our corporate capitalistic sponsors are in a position where their 1st quarter earnings are in jeopardy because of this disruption in cheap labor and commerce thoroughfares.

We demand that you give us back our maximum profits or we will throw a tantrum.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join