It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Votes Down GOP Effort to Repeal Health Care Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Senate Democrats fended off a Republican effort to repeal the law overhauling the health care system, voting down the measure, 47-51, submitted as an amendment to an airports construction bill.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's decision to push the House-passed repeal to the Senate floor didn't win a single Democrat vote, but he noted that every Republican voted for the repeal.

"We promised the American people we would have vote to repeal Obamacare and we did," McConnell said afterward.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Another part of the Republican agenda fails, as they have completely failed to repeal the health care law, resorting to trying to stick the repeal into any piece of legislation they can, Republicans hope to completely trash all legislation going through.

The party of NO, in trying to back door health care reform repeal is making sure to also say no to job creation in the process.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Im sorry but i have already started a thread on this topic
sad news is-int? it thats ok , we will get em in the supreme
court.

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread658650/pg#pid10483616
edit on 2-2-2011 by Jophiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Two years of republican obstinance just past and now two years more. We the people will take note of this...... and remember.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yeah, OK

Who wants this Heathcare Bill?

Only those "EXEMPT" from it such as the Unions, Federal workers, and those that "Think" they are actually getting something from it at the expense of the less than half of us who actually WORK.

It has a couple good aspects... the pre-existing conditions, maybe a couple of others which could fit on less than 10 pages, the rest is bogus crap.

733 Companies, Unions and other Groups with 2,189,636 Workers Now Exempt From Obamacare
www.economiccollapse.net...

www.washingtontimes.com...

Backroom deals and cover-ups may be business as usual for Washington, but understanding why the Obama administration protects its friends from Obamacare offers special insight into what the purveyors of the mandate themselves think about their own law. This is key: The waivers aren’t meant to protect victims from unintended consequences of Obamacare; they are meant to exempt them from the very intentional increased costs of health insurance that the law causes. Under Section 2711 of the Public Health Service Act, Obamacare increases the annual cap of insurance benefits, which sounds great - as does everything else in big government - until the bill comes due, in this case, in the form of higher insurance premiums.

In short, the administration has decided that you will face increased health insurance premiums, but special friends in the unions will not. Look closely, and you’ll see not only the White House‘s duplicity but also what the Obama administration really thinks of its crown jewel, Obamacare. White House words say that the annual insurance benefit cap is a feature of the program, but its actions say that it’s a bug.

The question remains: If Obamacare is such a great law, why does the White House keep protecting its best friends from it?

edit on 2-2-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash
Two years of republican obstinance just past and now two years more. We the people will take note of this...... and remember.

You should thank them for their" obstinance". every time a politician shouts about "getting something done"you can bet it cost you money and wins them friends and influence.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Kinda like tryin to throw the baby out with the bathwater isn't it?

Besides the mandate to require everyone to have insurance, I don't really see any other reason to scrap this whole bill. Perhaps fixing it instead of just throwing it out would be preferable and bi partisan.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Only those "EXEMPT" from it such as the Unions, Federal workers, and those that "Think" they are actually getting something from it at the expense of the less than half of us who actually WORK.

733 Companies, Unions and other Groups with 2,189,636 Workers Now Exempt From Obamacare

NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM THE LEGISLATION.

OMG...how many times must I repeat this...the waivers are NOT AN EXEMPTION TO THE LEGISLATION.

They are a temporary waiver for ONE VERY SPECIFIC PIECE OF THE BILL.

Here...I made a whole thread about it because I kept seeing people mis-represent the waivers...but no one wants to talk about facts...just talking points they get from Fox News or their favorite conservative talk show host.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please Please Please go read that thread...or go do your own research...I don't care which...just please stop mis-representing the TEMPORARY WAIVERS ADDRESSING ONE SPECIFIC PIECE OF THE LEGISLATION as EXEMPTIONS.

Sorry for all the yelling...I'm frustrated that people are willing to continue to spread lies.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and this.

And also Catholic Charities, Christian Organizations and Oil companies (non of which are big fans of Obama) have also recieved WAIVERS (not exemptions).

Funny how you left those out.
edit on 3-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Throughout this health care debate and beyond, the political spin machines of the right have used a lot of disinformation in order to try and brainwash the public to go against this legislation.

Like how the Death Panels weren't really Death Panels and waivers aren't actually exemptions, the political spin machine for the right has gone to great lengths to distort the truth.

Just thank Hannity, and Sarah Palin.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

OK,

What do you LIKE about the Healthcare Bill other than the "insure-ability and pre-conditions" issues that were corrected?

What about the other 1,500 pages of crap? I keep hearing the partisans "supporting" this but for the life of them it seems they don't know why.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

OK,

What do you LIKE about the Healthcare Bill other than the "insure-ability and pre-conditions" issues that were corrected?

What about the other 1,500 pages of crap? I keep hearing the partisans "supporting" this but for the life of them it seems they don't know why.

Ok what? Ok that you admit you are spreading falsehoods? And how do you call someone a "partisan" after spreading partisan talking points like you just did?

Anyway...I'll still answer your question.

What do I like about the Healthcare Bill.

- Eliminating Pre-Existing Conditions
- Eliminating annual and lifetime dollar caps on insurance policies
- Tax Credits for middle and low income families purchasing private plans
- The new Exchange programs that will offer better options for people (small businesses and self employed) buying their own insurance
- Grandfathered insurance plans...so if you already have a plan you like and don't want any of the changes from the Healthcare bill...then you keep your old plan.
- Small business tax credits for providing insurance to employees
- Creating a Patients Bill of Rights
- Fixing the Medicare Donut hole
- Granting free yearly wellness checks to Medicare recipients

Is that enough for you to justify my support of the bill?

Now you tell me...what don't you like about it? Do you not like any of the above things I listed?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The whole thing was a waste of time anyway. They didn't have the votes in the Senate in the first place.

Nothing but a big time waster.

Why don't the bums create some damn jobs!!!

But wait....government doesn't create jobs. It's the private sector only right? They are raking in the billions but I'm not seeing a huge influx of jobs. Stock up to 12,000. Jobs should BE FLOODING IN RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm so sick of all of it...which is why I have, for the most part, quit paying attention to it. The right thing is rarely ever done and most people can't stop bickering about what is the right thing to do in the first place.

All it does is tick me off so what is the point worrying about it anymore?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The Senate vote wasn't a waste of time. It was fairly brilliant political strategy.

A bunch of vulnerable in 2012 democrat senators were just forced to place themselves on record as supporting something the American people have clearly said they don't want in polls and the most recent election. The campaign ads are being created as we "speak".

edit on 2/3/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Great News-for the Republicans-in 2012

23 Democratic Senators are up for re-election.

They now are on record-supporting a law that has been deemed unconstitutional by a Federal Judge. They were given a rare opportunity to change a vote that they now know is not wanted by the majority of America citizens.

They have short memories but we don't.

See you in 2012.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
If you guys think the political environment is going to be the same in 2012 as it was in 2010 you are kidding yourselves. Jobs is the top priority right now...not this. Republicans can no longer sit around and just blame Democrats for everything.

This vote was nothing but political fodder and by the time the election rolls around it will all be forgotten...and this bill will never be repealed. This was just to appease those who are crazily against the bill...that's why the vote was brought up now.

Seriously...so much of this bill will be implemented by 2012...in fact...ALL OF IT...there is no chance in hell it gets repealed.

If people want to get their panties in a bunch over the next few years they can go ahead...but they are wasting their time.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I am just wondering if anyone brought up the fallacy that the bill was so bad because of the Rethugs?

Anyway, straight line party vote. I guess the Democrats can own this bill then right? It is THEIR PUPPY?

With all the waivers, with all the taxation, with all the government employees not being part of it, with all the things that have nothing to do with health care, with the job killing components, with the inherent purpose to destroy the private insurance companies, with the "forgetful component of not putting a sever-ability clause in it for the mandate-which was just the Dems playing chicken" with all of the other "great things" this is NOW a completely Democratic bill, right?

Sorry, 3 Democrats in the House voted against it.

I just wanted to reiterate, this is the Democrats baby right?

new topics

top topics

join