It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: US and China in military standoff over space missiles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

WikiLeaks: US and China in military standoff over space missiles

www.telegraph.co .uk

The United States threatened to take military action against China during a secret "star wars" arms race within the past few years, according to leaked documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph.

The two nuclear superpowers both shot down their own satellites using sophisticated missiles in separate show of strength, the files suggest.

The American Government was so incensed by Chinese actions in space that it privately warned Beijing it would face military action if it did not desist.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Is it perfectly reasonable to threaten China over this since the debris caused by the destruction of satellites can harm other satellities??

The strike, which resulted in thousands of pieces of debris orbiting the earth, raised fears that the Chinese had the power to cause chaos by destroying US military and civilian satellites.

Or not??

A month after the Chinese strike, America shot down one of its own satellites, ostensibly to stop it returning to earth with a toxic fuel tank which would pose a health hazard. The Chinese did not believe the explanation.

In secret dispatches, US officials indicated that the strike was, in fact, military in nature.

www.telegraph.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-2-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
YESSSSSSS we're America let's threaten the WORLD because nothing bad could ever happen to us!!!

It's not reasonable at all. We criticized China for shooting theirs down in fear that the debris would harm our satellites, yet we do the same adding in MORE debris? Just sounds like we had a bruised ego that China has those capabilities too...
edit on 2-2-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
YESSSSSSS we're America let's threaten the WORLD because nothing bad could ever happen to us!!!!

Oh yes it can!!

Last September, Dr Liam Fox, the Defence Secretary, warned that rogue countries or terrorist groups could wipe out electronic systems by producing an electromagnetic pulse through a nuclear explosion high above the Earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

NOT IF WE NUKE THEM FIRST!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The real story here is that some private space company stands to make a LOT of money-

If they invent and orbit The Dyson Vacuum (R).

I said it here first, and I expect a modest percentage when it happens.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
China was more outraged that the U.S. can shoot down satellites from their ships. That really freaked out the Chinese.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
Is it perfectly reasonable to threaten China over this since the debris caused by the destruction of satellites can harm other satellities??

The strike, which resulted in thousands of pieces of debris orbiting the earth, raised fears that the Chinese had the power to cause chaos by destroying US military and civilian satellites.

Or not??

A month after the Chinese strike, America shot down one of its own satellites, ostensibly to stop it returning to earth with a toxic fuel tank which would pose a health hazard. The Chinese did not believe the explanation.

In secret dispatches, US officials indicated that the strike was, in fact, military in nature.

None of that is surprising to me at all. The excuse given for the american shoot down was always a very thin one. There is a HUGE difference between the two incidents, however; the first was a deliberate, overt show of force whose debris directly threatened the well-being of MANY other satellites and spacecraft. ISS had to manuever to dodge the chinese debris on at least one occasion.

The american shoot down, however, used a failed satellite in an already-deteriorating orbit as an opportunity (excuse) to conduct a more controlled demonstration without the potential for collateral damage. The Chinese target was a weather satellite 865 kilometers in altitude, far above the point of re-entry. The debris was therefore able to linger in orbit for many years after the initial shoot down (much of it is STILL up there), gradually dispersing and posing a threat to satellites all over for a long time to come. The American target, USA-193, was already close to the point where orbital drag would have caused it to re-enter anyway (it was only 240km high), so when it was hit the debris particles' initial orbits were all much lower and closer to the atmosphere, thus the debris quickly re-entered the atmosphere within a matter of weeks, before it could widely disperse and pose a threat to other satellites.
edit on 2-2-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Well this does sound major and alarming, but I am hard pressed to believe anything and everything that Wikileaks has to say. I am a bit of a skeptic on them. IT seems they are out for sensationalism just as much as they are out for the truth. What better way to get ratings and fame then to exploit the major power players.

One thing I have always wondered as I have never paid that much attention to the site is this. Did they ever say anything about anyone other then US?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's not reasonable at all. We criticized China for shooting theirs down in fear that the debris would harm our satellites, yet we do the same adding in MORE debris?

Our debris started out at a very low orbit and thus quickly re-entered the atmosphere without posing a threat to other satellites that were orbiting normally because the satellite we hit was itself about to re-enter the atmosphere. There's no comparison between the two. China hit a satellite over 800 km in altitude, that debris will remain in orbit for years and years to come. ISS itself had to dodge the debris on at least one occasion. No one had to dodge our debris and the only negative impact it had was to cause one of our own launches to be delayed to allow the debris to deorbit itself, whoop de doo.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Didn't all counrties, at the UN, agree to not weaponize space????

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

And the space wars begin!

Chewy, to the millinium falcon!

GGGGGHHH!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
So, officially, A Violent Space Race has begun!!

For what?

Dark Business ..... in Dark Space!

I've an idea..................

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Yeah so let's invade China, maybe that will stop the debris.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The satelite shoot downs were totally stupid actions of two bullies on the block.
Its getting tiring from the miniscule point of view of us minions.
None of the actions of the goverment are in the best interest of the little people. It is all done for the elites agendas.
We are dust in the wind to them.
collateral damage, is not too highly worried about by the govs.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
"One month before the strike, the US criticized Beijing for launching its own “anti-satellite test”, noting: “The United States has not conducted an anti-satellite test since 1985."

in my opinion this is one of the more important things to realize out of this we have had this tech and the proven ability to shoot down satellites from land (and i guess now from navy destroyers or cruisers?) since 1985..and they just did it recently so we then showed them ok u can do it from land...we can do it from at least one of our navy vessels so it was kind of a one upmans ship attempt on our part so it at least seems that for now we have some kind of tech edge over them and thats just what we know about what our country has in space who knows what kinda toys we dont get to see or hear about

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Where did I suggest anything of the sort? All I said was that the two incidents were not comparable. The US made sure their debris would not pose a persistent threat. The Chinese simply didn't care, or worse, wanted it to.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Didn't all counrties, at the UN, agree to not weaponize space????

Yes: UN Outer Space Treaty

so then they built:

ALMAZ (Russia- Publically Acknowledged)

and mol / dynasoar (US- Unacknowledged)

Amongst other things...

edit on 2-2-2011 by Chakotay because: Still The TRUTH Cannot Be Told...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Where did I suggest anything of the sort? All I said was that the two incidents were not comparable. The US made sure their debris would not pose a persistent threat. The Chinese simply didn't care, or worse, wanted it to.

I apologize, I misunderstood. I thought by saying there wasn't a comparison that you were inferring it was justifiable for the US to threaten China with military action

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the post OP.

This is shocking and troubling. Whilst we know there are lots of secrets being disclosed, I think this is one of the most worrying so far.

Basically, what they are saying here is that two nuclear states nearly went to war and majority of the world didn't have a clue. I understand the need for secrecy in such things as military affairs but something as serious as this should not have been kept hidden from the public.

We elect them to behave RESPONSIBLY - not play secret war games behind our backs!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join