It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

trouble embedding video to ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Ok, I've noticed people struggling with embedding and linking video on ATS. Here's the issue I think most people are struggling with:

When you click the 'vid:youtube' button (same probably goes for vid:google) it's asking you for the video ID, not the URL.

For example:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6lcjJDi7Y

This is the full URL to a video on youtube, if you put that into the 'vid:youtube' code it will not embed the video and say something about the link being malformed.

What you need to post in there is : TC6lcjJDi7Y

Some links might look like this:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc&feature=player_embedded

you need to trim the beginning off, as well as the end starting with &, so for that link you'd post:

4sZuN0xXWLc

hopefully this helps clear this up. I'm 100% positive the staff has a thread somewhere explaining how to do this, but apparently new members aren't reading it. I'm willing to admit I didn't either, I scanned through the terms and that's about it. I figured this out myself after attempting to embed a youtube video.

I'm not sure how the code for this function is handled, but would it be possible to have it remove the full URL automatically?

Each URL will always have '=' just before the video ID so anything from the start characters up to and including= could be automatically trimmed out. As well, if the video has anything after the ID it always starts with '&' so even a simple batch script could trim the URL down to just the video ID.

Than again it's much easier to actually read what the 'vid:youtube' function is asking for.

edit on 1-2-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Or allternatively just Get the Code as you say and Put it between external Codes yvid]*Code Here*[/yvid But Put a [ and ] At the ends
(I cant put the [ and ] at the beginning and end otherwise Ill be putting an empty embed in)
edit on 1/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
fantastic, ive been struggling with this since ive signed up. was too lazy to go searching for how to do it lol

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

that's what the vid:youtube function does, adds that simple code, sure you can do it manually but people are lazy

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I found this little video on how to do it really helpful as well if anyone is still having problems!I know it took me awhile to figure it out. Felt like a dummy when all was said and done! Good luck

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Is anyone else having problems with embedding videos? Up until a few weeks ago I had no problem, with embedding them, I did what it says in this thread. Now it comes up with this:

Have we changed the way we embed videos? Or are other people getting this?

new topics

top topics

join