It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China calls for immediate end to military action in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
on Fox News Channel they have the these head lines popping up under where it says War Alert. Also it has one that says Reuters: France "Deeply Concerned" about Iraq Strikes.

I tried to find more info about this on the fox news website but couldnt find anything, does anyone know any information about this?

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
From Reuters

China Calls for Immediate Halt to War on Iraq
Thu March 20, 2003 02:27 AM ET
BEIJING (Reuters) - China, a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, called on Thursday for an immediate halt to the U.S.-led war against Iraq and a return to efforts to resolve the crisis peacefully.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Kong Quan said the war was a violation of the U.N. charter and international law.

"We strongly urge relevant countries to immediately stop military action," he told a news conference without mentioning the United States by name.

"They ignored the opposition of most countries and peoples of the world and went around the U.N. Security Council to begin military action against Iraq," he said.

"This constitutes a violation of the U.N. charter and international principles," he said. "We hereby express our grave concern."

The strength of the statement surprised Chinese analysts who had anticipated a mild reproach that would keep Beijing's desire to keep its improving relations with Washington on track.

Jin Canrong, a professor of international relations at People's University in Beijing said before the official statement he had expected an expression of regret and hope for a resumption of diplomacy "in very hollow and rhetorical terms."

He had expected China, which like France and Russia pushed for a diplomatic solution in the United Nations, to "keep a low profile."

Earlier, in a rare move, state television broadcast live, with simultaneous translation, the address by President Bush on the start of the war.

Other official news outlets, including the Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily, ran the text of Bush's brief speech on their Web sites shortly after it ended.

State television also carried a later live broadcast from Baghdad by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, also with simultaneous translation.

China has boosted security around foreign embassies in the past few weeks, partly for a two-week session of parliament that ended on Tuesday.

Extra guards were stationed near embassies, some with flak jackets, helmets and automatic weapons. Several roads were blocked off this week, including one near the Israeli embassy.

"They told us it is because of the international situation," said a diplomat from Spain, one of the countries which backed the U.S.-led attack.

The U.S. embassy has been cordoned off and streets near it closed to traffic since the September 11, 2001, attacks.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It's being reported in a very indifferent manner on Chinese TV - they're obviously going to say they're against it; but I suspect they couldn't care less.
Reuters must know a very different Beijing from the one I know and visit almost weekly: the US Embassy is accessible (it's just opposite the UK Embassy - and I was there on Sunday) and the first security measures were nothing to do with 9-11, it was to stop North Korean illegals claiming sanctuary in Western embassies to the great embarrassment of the Chinese!
My college is probably the biggest concentration of Americans and Brits in one place in this part of China. We did get official notes from the Security Bureau and from the US Consulate in Shenyang advising caution; but it really is a very low key business here.
Chinese people tend to be indifferent to anything thet doesn't concern other Chinese - hence their obsession with Taiwan.
By and large, what the hungry ghosts get up to ( i.e. the whites) doesn't interest them very much at all unless money is concerned.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Chinese people tend to be indifferent to anything thet doesn't concern other Chinese - hence their obsession with Taiwan.

Well - the Chinese people ARE affected. A war without international justification is a grave concern to China's security. Also the foreigner registration& paranoia procedures are a grave threat to the american chinese's freedom. They're wondering what "noble" presidency while intoxicated will be "unveiled" next. And i must say, i share this assessment. The President of the United States has an IQ of 80, is an alcoholic, and has no idea of the ugliness of war.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:38 AM
link   
You are not making sense..........what do you plan to do with the rest of your life? You talk out of you bunghole.
Do you wear a uniform? Obviously you are not an American.....fine. But stop making senseless arguments.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karl Molarius
And i must say, i share this assessment. The President of the United States has an IQ of 80, is an alcoholic, and has no idea of the ugliness of war.

Karl, you're an irritating troll.

Give us proof.

If you believe the IQ hoax that circulated the Internet a few months back about Juninor and Senior Bush's IQ's, then any shred of minor credibility you may have retained has been shredded into a nothingness.

While I dislike Bush perhaps as much as you, I don't spread lies.

Give your sources you little twit, and perhaps we can discuss.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Excuse me, Karl, What years did you spend at Yale and Havard, and from which did you earn a BA and from which did you earn an MBA?

By the way, Karl, just what is a "war without international justification"? Are you saying that we cannot take action to defend our citizenry unless Garmany, France, Russia and China tell us we can? LOL.
Geramny and Russia would understand wars without justification and provocation, wouldn't they?

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What exactly is China going to do about it? Do you propose they get involved? Less you forget that the US, Britain, and Canada supply most of thier food stuffs?

China is a nation full of despots and hypocrits, they need to consider thier own internal problems before sticking thier neck out to be chopped off. There is not a single nation in the world that wouldn't breath a sign of relief if China was wiped off the map anyways.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Excuse me, Karl, What years did you spend at Yale and Havard, and from which did you earn a BA and from which did you earn an MBA?

By the way, Karl, just what is a "war without international justification"? Are you saying that we cannot take action to defend our citizenry unless Garmany, France, Russia and China tell us we can? LOL.
Geramny and Russia would understand wars without justification and provocation, wouldn't they?

Well, ill say it again ... before accusing me next time, pls read my posts

No one is questioning america's right to defend itself.
But, as a matter of fact, iraq is 10.000 miles from the united states. its missiles have a range of 100 miles. There is no link of Iraq to AlQaeda. Iraq is not a threat to the US, and there no link between Iraq and WMD.

Therefore it isnt self-denfence.

International law, which we all until GWBush upheld, has aggression OUTLAWED. But, the UN provides a means of legitimizing an aggression and that is the security council. GWB sought to convince the security council, but he couldnt.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hey Karl... what about that evidence of yours about the low-IQ and heavy drinking... still waiting for that.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Hey Karl... what about that evidence of yours about the low-IQ and heavy drinking... still waiting for that.

Here you have it

www.psychedelicrepublicans.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Karl, please tell me that you are not lacking in imagination and intelligence that you can't see how he is a threat. Even if nobody has spelled it out for you, drawn you a picture, you should be able to figure it out. Put down the hash pipe, let your mind clear and think reeeeeal hard. You can do it. Lay off the Hoffbrau a few days, give your brain and liver a break, and concentrate. It'll come to you, I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Karl, please tell me that you are not lacking in imagination and intelligence that you can't see how he is a threat. Even if nobody has spelled it out for you, drawn you a picture, you should be able to figure it out. Put down the hash pipe, let your mind clear and think reeeeeal hard. You can do it. Lay off the Hoffbrau a few days, give your brain and liver a break, and concentrate. It'll come to you, I'm sure.

Hmm .. use my imagination to picture the threat Saddam poses ? Like as in " he poses no threat right now, but use your imagination ...perhaps he will pose a threat then?"

www.whitehouse.org...

things like that ?

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Still, you have nothing but ignorance with which to respond.
You seem to have a real burr under your saddle when it comes to the U.S. Are you the bastard son of a G.I.? Lose your girlfriend to a soldier? Mad because we stopped the third Reich and you really was hoping for a high post position within it?

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The President of the United States has an IQ of 80, is an alcoholic, and has no idea of the ugliness of war.

The IQ test is not a good measure of intelligence, because it is based on academic skill and speed,

Most people on the board should be able to realise what i am saying, basically the more general knowledge you know, and the faster you can work out answers, the better your score will be on an IQ test, if you practiced alot at IQ tests you could increase your score alot over the years probably by around 30-50 points,

my belief is such that IQ tests are a waste of time, i myself did an IQ test a few years back and got 130,

now would you belive that maralin monroe had the same IQ as albert einstien, yes its true, there is a brittish comedian called caroline ahearn, she allways plays a thick sterotypical blonde in comedys, yet she has an IQ of 180, which is higher than einstien, does that mean she is more inteligent, no does it hell, i belive inteligence is all about logic, problem solving and open mindedness, it has nothing to do with academic prowess, a typical bum on the street who has no money whos english language is poor and has no skills what so ever could be just as intelligent in his own way as a univercity professor,

as for calling george bush stupid, just because he might get his language muddled up, doesnt mean he is an idiot, after all he is the man sat in the big leather chair in the whitehouse, and we are the ones paying for him to sit there, who is the stupid man?

i know a few people with lower scores on IQ tests than me. who are far more intelligent than i am and ever will be, they are just suited to one particular subject instead of general knowledge..

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Karl, do you always have to speak out of your ass?

new topics

top topics

join