It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Orbits Three Suns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
A number of years ago astronomers discovered a planet orbiting around three suns. The article from the Guardian made reference to the planet Tatooine, which comes from the world of Star Wars. In the film Tatooine is only seen with two suns, whereas the planet Thra from the movie The Dark Crystal has three suns.

The main star, like the sun, is yellow; the larger of the other two is orange, the smaller red. A day on the mystery planet would be lurid, but its year would be brief as it completes its annual orbit in three and a half Earth days.
- Thursday 14, 2005
www.guardian.co.uk...

The Great Conjunction over the Dark Crystal on the planet Thra

This subject was originally inspired from the following ATS thread.
Tatooine Exists!!!!!!
This thread should have been titled “Thra Exists!!!!!!”

The reason why I bring this old news back to life is because a sequel of The Dark Crystal is coming out this year, 2011. The movie is called The Power of the Dark Crystal and it takes place on the planet Thra. The Jim Henson Company has been working on this new sequel for about seven years, I think. They wanted the film to be done right, so they took their time making sure the film was true quality. Jim Henson poured his heart out in the making of The Dark Crystal and it was one of his best achievements. Unfortunately, the public did not receive the film the way he wished. Jim passed away May 16, 1990, probably due to complications from the Flu. Jim Henson’s children Lisa, Brian, Cheryl, John and Heather now run the company business.

Please go out and watch Power of the Dark Crystal at your local theater in support of his old wish that the story be more than what meets the eye. A Great Conjunction is also headed our way soon, a Galactic alignment. For those of you not familiar with the original movie, the three suns would line up over Thra every 1000 years. Major changes would happen on the planet every time a triple conjunction occurred.

The three suns align over a large crystal every 1000 years. The energy of the suns power the crystal and the crystal in turn gives life to the planet. In the film the Skeksis lords, seen above, cracked the crystal 1000 years ago and are diverting the suns’ power for themselves. Suffering of the innocent result from this diversion of power.
Sounds like our world, doesn't it?

By the way, the pattern on the floor so happens to be a sacred Masonic symbol.

Would there really be night on a planet that had three suns?
Would nobody ever sleep?
Or would the curtains have to be really thick?

Are you ready for power of the dark crystal in 2011?

edit on 28-1-2011 by lostinspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Wow you really threw a swerve in there. The Dark Crystal freaked me out when I saw it as a kid.

I wonder how a planet would revolve around three suns. Also, I guess you wouldn't ever really have a night time.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
this is the first time ive heard of this movie must look for a copy, i had a dream last week about three sun's lol. there isnt 5 demons or 5 angels or any reference to 5 things in the movie is there???? < that was in the dream too.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I loved The Dark Crystal as a kid
. I haven't watched it in quite a long time and don't remember much about it though. The first image that comes to mind is the little 'old lady' with the big eyeball. I'm almost positive i still have a VHS of it. I wonder if I still have a VCR

I am curious about this sequel. This is the first I've heard of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Neurolanis

The Dark Crystal is one of my favorite films, as you might tell from my avatar.

I was always deeply moved and mystified by this film, and with 2012 and whatnot I have been wondering if it may have some insight into some things. Frank Oz and Jim Henson did a lot of research into ancient mythology and religion before writing it, from what I understand.

On a side note, in my opinion it's one of the great fantasy films and a greatly underappreciated masterpiece of film. Great art design by Brian Froud and a brilliant soundtrack by Trevor Jones (more underappreciated geniuses in my opinion.) Can’t wait to see the new one and I really hope that it does justice to the original.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schlub

Were these the guys that freaked you out when you were a kid?
This is the Trial by Stone where the Chamberlain and the Garthim Master are dueling for the Emperor position.

The scene that really freaked me out most was when a Podling had his essence sucked out of him. He looked like Skeletor after the procedure. This truly was no Muppet movie.

I wonder what the gravitation pull feels like with three suns pulling at your body mass from all different directions.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker10
this is the first time ive heard of this movie must look for a copy, i had a dream last week about three sun's lol. there isnt 5 demons or 5 angels or any reference to 5 things in the movie is there???? < that was in the dream too.

In the beginning of the movie there were only 10 left. A number of them died before the Great Conjunction. What you have right is the balance between evil and good beings. There are 10 Mystics (angels) and 10 Skeksis (demons).

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles. The first image that comes to mind is the little 'old lady' with the big eyeball.

Funny how you say "little 'old lady'" because to me she was big and scary. She was about the size of the Skeksis. That is so cool you still have a VHS copy of the movie.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neurolanis
reply to post by Neurolanis

The Dark Crystal is one of my favorite films, as you might tell from my avatar.

I was always deeply moved and mystified by this film, and with 2012 and whatnot I have been wondering if it may have some insight into some things. Frank Oz and Jim Henson did a lot of research into ancient mythology and religion before writing it, from what I understand.

The Collector's Edition DVD has an insert that describes how and when the revelation of the Dark Crystal came to Jim Henson.

In 1978 Jim and his family were stuck in the Kennedy Airport when trying to make a connecting flight to London. A Blizzard hit New York and the family was trapped there for 72 hours. All that time he was fixated on developing a story for The Dark Crystal. He completed an outline by the time they reached London. I'm not sure if he knew about the ending of the Mayan long count calendar. However, something drove him to madness those 72 hours. He was also quite emotional about the movie and its creation. They said his spirit waned when the movie reception was less than desired. His motivation was never the same after that. Kind of like when you create a great thread and nobody cares about what you presented. Very depressing dilemma. Imagine spending 5+ years of your life to a movie and nobody appreciates what it took to bring it all together. Instead most people care about what the Celebs are doing.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I loved the Dark Crystal!!!!!! I am surprised and thrilled that there will be a sequel. I love highly imaginative movies!!! Thanks so much for bringing us the good news!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Does anybody remember the 1997 song titled, Trip Like I do, from the The Crystal Method?

Well, the intro of the song is taken from the intro from the The Dark Crystal. A few details have been changed but the artists got the point across. Right after the slow mystical intro the song transforms into a high intensity beat.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Just found this Robot Chicken "Dark Crystals" hip hop song on Youtube. It is so funny!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The Dark Crystal is a true classic, and probably one of the first DVDs I ever bought. Other good ones in this genre are Labyrinth, Legend, and The NeverEnding Story (first one only...the sequels are crap).

Why was everything better in the 80's? (movies, music, etc.)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The first Star Wars movies were so much better than the last three. The special effects were better but most of the sets weren't even real, which you could tell. They almost felt like an animated version of Star Wars.

I hope we don't get that feel when the Dark Crystal sequel comes out. The amazing thing about the Dark Crystal is the fact they had to create everything to scale. The detail of the sets were way beyond what was needed.

I'll have to say the Matrix trilogy and The Lord of the Rings trilogy were amazing in my book even though they were not from the 80s.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I just watched this with my niece last weekend. I thought it would be good for her to learn some of the progression and different types animation over the years. Since it's been years since I seen it. I noticed a lot of symbolism that I never new of in the past.

I just did a search and noticed the next movie has been push to 2013 release?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

It's official. The Dark Crystal is not going to have a sequel after all.

In February 2012, it was officially announced that the project was no longer in production.
muppet.wikia.com...

After years of preparation to create the sequel called Power of the Dark Crystal the Henson leadership could not see fruition of this hopeful dream. The Dark Crystal will remain a cult classic and it will not be tarnished by a cheesy prequel or sequel. May Jim Henson rest in peace. Jim poured out his heart and soul into this movie. He claimed it was his favorite out of all his creations.

The latest directors in charge of the sequel were getting warnings from Dark Crystal cult fans back in 2010.

In a November 2010 interview, the Spierig brothers acknowledged that audiences may be growing skeptical about remakes and sequels. Peter Spierig said, "Where we can, we're keeping to the spirit of Henson... We went to a convention not so long ago and we had a number of people come up and say, 'Don't you dare rape my childhood.' When one person says that, you take it on board. But when a bunch of people say it, you think, 'Wow, this really means something to them.'" Michael Spierig added, "so the last thing we want to do is screw it up."

It looks like they took it to heart.
Yes, the majority of us say don't screw it up!

Don't forget to watch The Dark Crystal Thursday night starting exactly at 10:38 PM on December 20, 2012 to usher in The Great Conjunction of the Mayan end cycle. If you watch the film starting at the Universal logo sequence then the above time should bring you to The Great Conjunction sequence at midnight - December 21, 2012. I think it would be cool if people would set off some of their New Years Eve fireworks at midnight that evening to freak out the neighbors.

Directors and Producers of The Dark Crystal

Left to right: Gary Kurtz, Jim Henson and Frank Oz.

Directors: Jim Henson and Frank Oz
Producers: Jim Henson and Gary Kurtz
Story by Jim Henson

Gary Kurtz also produced The Empire Strikes Back of the Star Wars saga. Frank Oz was the voice of Yoda in all the Star Wars films. He also operated the character named Aughra in the film.

Star Wars, Dark Crystal, End of the Mayan cycle, do they have a connection?

Only George Lucas and Jim Henson know that.

Jim's daughter revealed to the public, around 2003, that Dark Crystal came to her father's mind within a 72 hour period. The story came to him while he and his kids were stuck in New York when trying to make a connecting flight to London. A Blizzard grounded all the planes in the area. By the time they reached London he had an outline that became The Dark Crystal.

With all that said, count 72 hours after the start of December 21, 2012 to see if something big happens.

top topics

join