It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the bible full of contradictions?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
the video is light hearted, but makes a good point. Any thoughts? Keep it civil this isn't designed to create any problems.

edit on 28-1-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
lol good find , very funny cartoon but of course die hard believiers will cry out of context as usual give us there spin on it and call it reality . Surley i can see some of them being out of context but all of them ?!!!? lool i think not .

A god who inspires such a contradictary book is no god i would want to worship . I would question his confusion and contradictions in the book for all mankind. I would ask him who in the right mind would authorize such a book and expect everyone to read it and get along merrily happy after.

I don't think god , would contradict him run out of words , or make the bible such a puzzle that you have to be a 20 year scholar to decode the thing . just to have it repeated back to us in a edited cleaned up sugar coated version .

I want to believe but the bible makes it very difficult and it turns me away from god not towards him.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

This video is basically a shotgun approach without any meaningful discussion. In reading the bible, or any document, one must consider the audience it was written for. A good example is where it talks about God being angry, how can God's emotions be explained to humans in a way that they will understand?

In attempting to trick Jesus they asked him what the most important commandment was and he replied to love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. They understood and stopped asking questions. What he said was not one of the commandments, it was the heart of all of them. Children get rules, adults get meaning. The old testament was for children at a time when people regularly sacrificed children to "gods".

Abraham was told by God to sacrifice his son Issac as a burnt offering. When he went to do so God stopped him. This indicates he did not want the sacrifice, was he testing Abraham? No, he was teaching him. He was teaching him that such things were wrong and that he was not like the gods that Abraham had been told about. That is a big part of the history. The same is true of when the townsfolk were going to stone the adulteress and Jesus said that the one without sin should cast the first stone. A superficial reading of the bible gives you a superficial understanding.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No its not, the bible like anything is there for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. Thats what spiritual books do, and its not about what you gain, you selfish atheists.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
how can God's emotions be explained to humans in a way that they will understand?

And now you know why atheists reject the bible. a deity cannot be summed up simply by the simple nature of what a deity is.
edit on 28-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: clarity

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

How is any of this selfish? I don't understand where you are coming from with that. Are you to say that me choosing to believe in what I want is selfish? And why does pointing out the many contradictions in the bible, automatically make us Atheists? I could surely believe in a 'god' but still believe the bible is an edited work of MAN. Or is the selfishness based on the fact that I don't choose to believe in the god you do?

I don't rule out the possibility of a god. But I do rule out the possibility that a book ,written over centuries by man, bares any resemblance to what 'god' might have said.

The old testament was for children at a time when people regularly sacrificed children to "gods".

Probably the most relevant this said here.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yes, touchy subject indeed. I have always been interested in this subject and have also come to the conclusions that Bible does have many inconsistencies. That lead me to understanding how the Bible was compiled, who had their hands in it and the motives behind it. I believe, and I could be wrong, that the Bible would have included many more books regarding Jesus and other important stuff, however, it had been hijacked by an Emperor or two.

I came across this article that would indicate that corroboration of such an idea is currently being directed by Israeli Government. For those of you who don't have the patience to read that article, it essentially claims that of all the Dead Sea Scrolls, the first batch made it out to the public surprisingly through the hands of antique dealers, without consideration for the history value. However, further scrolls that were removed were kept under wraps for what the author of this article claims for nefarious reasons. Interesting.

www.viewzone.com...

Nonetheless, I think people will be upset with the fact that Bible is not 100% consistent, rather than still focusing on the Truth that it contains, to whatever extent.

If you have an hour of time to kill and would like to hear another, worthwhile (i.e. healthy debate about it), here is an interesting video to watch (several part video - you can access the rest via YT):

Ultimately, such evidence or reality should encourage us in cementing our beliefs and spiritual pursuits. If I was still a practicing Christian, and I didn't know of this, I would be curious. Ultimately, any spiritual endeavor is one best practiced by ... get a load of this ... you. I think too often, we happily or not in full understanding, just take things for they are worth. As a result, we don't realize that what we have come to believe, has often been touched or manipulated somewhere along the way, either accidentally or purposely (this applies to all ancient texts).

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue

If I was still a practicing Christian, and I didn't know of this, I would be curious.

The difference between an agnostic and a gnostic is simple.

a gnostic (religious) person does not want to seek answers, they want simplicity to stop thinking overall. They will turn a blind eye to anything that goes against their belief structure.

An agnostic is someone whom truely is curious and seeking actual truth and answers, so yes, they will come across the bible, see its loaded down from end to end with contradictions and want actual answers verses excuses.

Agnostics often become atheists, but usually become theists, agnostic theists believe in deitys or a god still, but they are not sure exactly which religion is correct because they all seem to make some basic stupid mistakes...they are seeking out their own personal jesus so to speak.

agnostic atheists simply dismiss all deitys until some proof is made

a gnostic atheist and a gnostic theist are both retarded...they both "know" beyond a shadow of doubt there is or is not deitys..as if they have magical knowledge beyond earthlings...

gnostic people annoy me...unthinking lot they are.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by alyoshablue

If I was still a practicing Christian, and I didn't know of this, I would be curious.

Agnostics often become atheists, but usually become theists, agnostic theists believe in deitys or a god still, but they are not sure exactly which religion is correct because they all seem to make some basic stupid mistakes...they are seeking out their own personal jesus so to speak.

I would say that is the path I took. I spend a lot of time researching these things and I have come to the conclusion that most of it (i.e. religion) is manipulative. We could exhaust all the memory on ATS' hard-drive discussing that, but in the end, it just comes down to the individual and their pursuit. All too often, it seems that others present and defend the position that others should see things the way you do or else ...

By not observing and listening to other's points of views, we lose a lot of opportunities.

Thanks for the break down on Agnostic, etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

The bible was not written for atheists, so it is not surprising that they reject it, nor is it an issue. The old testament was written for a people who came out of a world of lust and slavery. It was not meant to answer all questions, that should be obvious. Israel flourished when they followed it and failed when they did not. What is fascinating is that it predicted the jews would be scattered and then return as occurred.

The New Testament was written for a different time and a different people. It was written for a people who focused on form over context. Rather than being rule based it was supposed to say to be moral in your heart. In the video it mentions salvation by work or faith alone. This rather simplistic view is even followed by many Christians who just don't get it. We are saved by faith and if we have faith then it will change our actions, good works is the natural result of true faith and no, most don't have it.

Many, many Christians get hung up on the name Jesus. The New Testament says that to be saved you must know him and they assume that means knowing his name, this is a big mistake. Firstly, it says that many will come to him saying Jesus, Jesus and he will say to go away because he never knew them. He said if you knew him you would have done his will and his will is to love one another and be forgiving. If you know these things then you know him. I believe even atheists can know these things without believing in Jesus as a person.

To say that atheists believe this or that or that Christians believe this or that is unfair, there is a wide variety of beliefs within these groups. The endless attempts to pigeonhole billions of people into our biased views of alternate perspectives is just bigotry and foolishness. In the end, in my opinion, the spiritual questions, like the meaning of life, is there an afterlife, how should we treat one another, is there a God, are all questions that the search for brings more growth than the answer provides. Just because you or I may have our answer does not mean others should not search it on there own. Life is a journey and not a destination. Be well.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

In the end, in my opinion, the spiritual questions, like the meaning of life, is there an afterlife, how should we treat one another, is there a God, are all questions that the search for brings more growth than the answer provides. Just because you or I may have our answer does not mean others should not search it on there own. Life is a journey and not a destination. Be well.

Well said. I feel that the strongest point you made is on the aspect of growth. Isn't that what it is all about?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Just because you or I may have our answer does not mean others should not search it on there own. Life is a journey and not a destination. Be well.

Felt like weighing in on this also.

I am glad you have your answers. I don't, hense why I am atheist. I found judic religions to not be an answer due to no actual proof, and in fact, the endless countering by simple logical thinking that results from biblical teaching.

Your discussion about tribes of israel being scattered than returned as written down is an example of self fulfilling prophecy..there is nothing interesting about that.
like me saying I will go to the beach tomorrow...then reading that, I realize I am destined to goto the beach tomorrow, so I go..then think it is magical that it got it right.

Anyhow, the questions you mention (afterlife, god, etc etc etc) is exactly why I am agnostic atheist...it is because I am curious and am seeking truth, not answers. I can give an answer randomly for anything on earth...that doesn't mean I give truth.
Religion gives answers
Science seeks truth
I go with science.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

May journey take you wherever it leads you and others take their own.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
SaturnFX:

I am currently reading a short book titled, The Intrigue of the Possible, written by Robert A. Mayer. I checked it out from the library, so there is a possibility your library may have it. Here is a link to a description of the book:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296267618&sr=8-4

The reason I mention this book to you is two fold. First, is that each rather quick chapter covers a different individual that represented something extraordinary to the author. These individuals are not your normal folk, so to speak, but cover various aspects of their experiences: remote viewing, astral projection, clear thinking, Free Masonary. You may already be quite familiar with these topics as I believe to be, however, still worthwhile.

The second reason is to share this quote from the book, provided by Krishnamurti, which is one of those hum-dinger quotes (makes you think a little bit) - at least for me.

"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. This is what everyone throughout the world is attempting to do. Truth is narrowed down and made a plaything for those who are weak, for those who are only momentarily discontented. Truth cannot be brought down, rather the individual must make the effort to ascend to it. You cannot bring the mountain-top to the valley. If you would attain to the mountain-top you must pass through the valley, climb the steeps, unafraid of the dangerous precipices."
edit on 28-1-2011 by alyoshablue because: typos

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I am a Christian
The elite’s (illuminati, freemasons, ext.) goal is to persuade the masses, so wouldn’t their main attack be on education. I say that because without knowledge we are lost as humans. Therefore their goal would be to set up some scam of system to ultimately lead you nowhere. I say this because what better way to block off peoples mind than remove religion out of school and give them something else to worship MONEY. Removing the aspect of god out one’s life is like putting a lid on them. You ultimately close the door to a higher being, but yet you pump the big bang theory into their minds. Thus planting the seed that they (American scientist) have all the answers and slowly making a gap between you and god, not to mention you attend school 5 days a week and church on Sundays. The persuasion has begun.

Now you begin to enter that fight in your mind.( is god real or not) They have you right where they want you(the elite), because you being a young child are trying to process information you don’t have nor understand. So you began to seek knowledge from people you deem smart, which tends to be your parents. Who are also products of the same education system. I mean lets’ face it many parents can’t answer basic questions about the bible and you probably seen some Christian people doing some non- Christian things. (In which the bible states on many occasions that the spirit and the flesh are always at war. Meaning the battle lies within us. Hints one of the cornerstones for the Christian religion is not judge.)At this time naturally a kid begins to lose interest in god.

Many Christians speak that Christianity is right and your religion is wrong. But that’s not what its’ about.

Luke 12:10 “And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blaspheme against the Holy ghost it shall not be forgiven”

Matthew 12:31 “Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.”

Many religions don’t have Jesus and God on the same level. The holy ghost , God and Jesus are one in the Christian faith. But Jesus says to us that disrespecting him can be forgiven. Wow

John 15:14-15:15 “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”

I believe many people in this country tend to think they have the answer instead of truly researching. (X + Y= Your answer) (example John Doe has his mind made up the about Christianity before he does research) Leaving you searching for answers that make your statement true, instead of seeking the truth. This is the true meaning of ignorance. ( A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.)
Albert Einstein
Proof the bible is real
www.pcez.com...

www.theomatics.net...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BreezeLike

The elite’s (illuminati, freemasons, ext.) goal is to persuade the masses, so wouldn’t their main attack be on education. I say that because without knowledge we are lost as humans.

Exactly hence the christian led attack on science. Without knowledge we are indeed lost, religion is based on the fact that you don't have the knowledge, you must put your faith in people who do have the knowledge and take it assuming they are not distorting it to their own end. I get a kick out of religious types that have a problem with the big bang. The big bang was proposed to essentially make both sides happy. It's religion masked as science, who created the big bang? Who started it? Exactly, see, even with our most advanced, bible disproving science, there is still room for your creator god.

Religion is the opposite of science, and therefore knowledge. With religion all questions are answered with "god" leaving you no reason to search for knowledge.

And weren't adam and eve thrown out of eden for eating an apple from the forbidden tree (symbolizing knowledge)

I think that story alone clears it up for me, if Adam and Eve, gods most fantastic creations, were thrown out of paradise for searching for knowledge, then knowledge has no place in religion as it is based on faith, not knowledge.

Again, this isn't to say people with faith are dumb or ignorant. I stand by my statement ignoring scientific fact because of faith is ignorant, but having faith is not. It takes a much stronger person to truly believe in something they can never prove, than it does to be a skeptic. To each their own, just stop the attacks on science, stop trying to get them to teach religious dogma and pseudo science in school.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be

That's freaking science my friend, observing and deducing from said observation. Religion has the answers already and merely attempts to prove them, and ignore anything that doesn't fall in line with their dogma.
edit on 2-2-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

lol good find , very funny cartoon but of course die hard believiers will cry out of context as usual give us there spin on it and call it reality . Surley i can see some of them being out of context but all of them ?!!!? lool i think not.

You're right, in fact if you read any modern version/translation of the Bible you'll find quite a few contradictions. But that's the plan of satan, so that threads like these and their premises have merit. The Textus Sinaticus and Textus Vaticanus are enormous perversions that all modern bible versions rely upon. Heck in the NIV you cannot know who killed Goliath.

That is why serious students of the bible reject all modern versions as corrupt and only use the King James.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
As always, these supposed contradictions in the bible are taken out of the context of the passage, as well as the historical context of who is being spoken to and the situation in which the things are being said.

I realize someone already said a believer would come in and say this, however, it does not take away from the fact that it is the truth. I have to attend class but later today I will address as many of these as time allows.

I do not intend to preach, I would however like to say that the bible really has no contradictions. I have studied this at length as i used to not believe, but upon years of study have come to believe wholeheartedly.

Be back later
edit on 2-2-2011 by resonance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The bing bang theory makes no sense. In the very beginning there was nothing and an explosion happened. What? How do you get something from nothing? What bible disproving science? Have you read the bible?

From an athiest point of view. But from a relegious point of view God created all and new of things to come, thus making him the father of everything including science.

Genesis 3:4-5
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Seeking knowledge yes but also with the intention of becoming gods.

What exactly are you referring to as scientific fact? Dont you find it interesting that throughout school we are taught that what they say is true. (Christopher Columbus discovered America)

" Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorence" George Bernard Shaw

This kind of we know the answer thinking, is what hinders learning. As Albert Einstein said," The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be

That's freaking science my friend, observing and deducing from said observation. Religion has the answers already and merely attempts to prove them, and ignore anything that doesn't fall in line with their dogma.
edit on 2-2-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

You misunderstood the quote, it means seek for truth dont settle. If you have not read the word, you have settled.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Argument from Satan? Really? Can you please show a single contradiction from this video that doesn't exist in the original Hebrew or Greek?

And you can find all of the listed contradictions in the KJV (which is actually not all that linguistically accurate, which is the exact reason why we have newer translations which attempt to get closer to the original meanings). Or will you be able to show me how these aren't contradictions in the KJV?

I mean, how did Judas die? Obvious, he bought a field with his ill-gotten silver in which he tripped and his guts exploded out of him. And he also felt insanely remorseful, threw the silver out and committed suicide by hanging. Both are in the KJV and the original Greek. Both have different and contradictory theological implications about a major Biblical figure. This isn't a small thing.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't know that 'serious' now means: "People who agree with my narrow theological view".

Serious students of the Bible only accept translations if they can refer back to the original Hebrew and Greek to confirm that translation as the most accurate. Serious students of the Bible make sure to have a working understanding of both language or at the very least an incredibly detailed reference for both languages. They don't accept a translation into a Germanic language for a Semitic language. Hell, a translation of the OT into my people's native tongue is far more accurate than the one found in the KJV.

Or do serious students of the Bible have to learn English rather than the languages the Bible was actually written in.
edit on 3/2/11 by madnessinmysoul because: Noted in text.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join