It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy and Metaphysics...not exactly what it is really...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
First off: Metaphysics is a subset of philosophy, why the hell is it mentioned in the sub-forum title? Why isn't it "Philosophy and Aesthetics" or "Philosophy and Epistemology"? And why is psychology lumped in there?

Secondly: Most of the threads on it are not Philosophy or Psychology!

Thirdly: What the hell is astrology doing in there? Astrology should go in "Predictions and Prophecies" if anywhere. Why? Because it's based around predicting things. It has nothing to do with philosophy or psychology!

Honestly, the lack of actual philosophy in that forum is why I hardly ever visit. It's sort of hard to have a philosophical discussion when the majority of what's going on is New Age bullcrap.

/rant

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

My head hurts now!

Your post made me think to much!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Astrology is not only prediction.. it's observation of human behavior based on the positioning of the stars & planets at birth.

So it belongs here.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
Astrology is not only prediction.. it's observation of human behavior based on the positioning of the stars & planets at birth.

No, it's not based on any observation at all. There is nothing reasoned or observational about it. It lacks even the smallest amount of inquiry required to be psychology and it lacks reason entirely, disqualifying it from philosophy.

Now, if you can show me where someone actually published some academic work confirming astrology...

So it belongs here.

It may belong in ATS, but definitely not where it is right now.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Most of the threads on it are not Philosophy or Psychology!

I disagree, most of them actually are one or both under the broad definitions of those terms.

Perhaps you mean they are not mainstream philosophy or mainstream psychology, then I would agree that the majority are not. But this is an alternative site.

Thirdly: What the hell is astrology doing in there? Astrology should go in "Predictions and Prophecies" if anywhere. Why? Because it's based around predicting things. It has nothing to do with philosophy or psychology!

Since when is astrology based around predicting things?

Honestly, the lack of actual philosophy in that forum is why I hardly ever visit.

By "actual" do you mean the same old stuff I could find on any mainstream philosophy site out there. There are loads of sites dedicated to only philosophy. What you seem not to like about ats is the same reason I do like it, this place is not normal.

edit on 27-1-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I guess you are only familiar with daily horoscopes.

Read up on astrology. It's not only divination, it's observation as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Most of the threads on it are not Philosophy or Psychology!

I disagree, most of them actually are one or both under the broad definitions of those terms.

Philosophy is a damn broad subject. It covers:

Aesthetics
Epistemology
Ethics
Logic
Metaphysics
Social philosophy
Political philosophy

How does astrology fit in there?

Perhaps you mean they are not mainstream philosophy or mainstream psychology, then I would agree that the majority are not. But this is an alternative site.

They don't even fit into the branches of philosophy nor do they fit into any possible conception of psychology.

Since when is astrology based around predicting things?

People's character traits are predetermined by a set of predictable factors...and you're right, it's based around ignorance of astronomy, so it shouldn't be on this website anyway.

Honestly, the lack of actual philosophy in that forum is why I hardly ever visit.

By "actual" do you mean the same old stuff I could find on any mainstream philosophy site out there.

No, I mean something that actually falls under the umbrella of the study of philosophy. I wouldn't mind non-mainstream epistemological discussion. I would love to examine some non-mainstream aesthetics. Hell, it would be great to hear some radical idea of social philosophy.

There are loads of sites dedicated to only philosophy. What you seem not to like about ats is the same reason I do like it, this place is not normal.

Philosophy sites are far from normal. Normal people don't really care about philosophy...and I've been on this site for 6+ years, I seem to have no problem with it. The reason I don't like it is that it so often indulges in the ignorance it is supposed to be denying.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Sooo astrology is observational how? Or can I only find the answer in a book?

How does it fit into any of the philosophical branches of study? How does it fit into psychology? How is it based on anything other than ignorant people trying to make sense of a universe they don't understand?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Maybe we should rename the forum to New Age Bullcrap?

Seriously though, you may have a valid point. Rather than a rant, have you tried as a Board Business & Questions topic?
edit on 28-1-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Astrology is a philosophy...it is a philosophical discussion and question about if stars control elements of behaviors.

The advanced "what will you do next year" bit about astrology deserves to be in predictions, sure...but the conceptual understanding of astrology works fine in philosophy.

Bit like a discussion about if being born at night or day can effect your outlook on life...no scientific backing on it, just questions.

and your right, metaphysics is a subset of philosophy..however, the common person does not associate their metaphysical belief system as philosophy..

religion (theology) is also simply philosophy.

Perhaps the philosophy forum is a catch all forum

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

That might be a basic metaphysical question...but it's not taken as a question, it's taken as a given...honestly, it just peeves me because I'm actually studying philosophy as a subsidiary right now. It does seem to have become a catch all forum...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The key difference there however. You are studying.
Most people on ATS have high school educations, no furthering (maybe some certification course)

by most, I mean 51%

Also, the intellectual curve is not far outside the world norm...dealing with 100-110 IQs on ATS...so right, the understanding of what is philosophy, how metaphysics and other magical or religious (or really anything else without hypothesis) subjects is just philosophy and the amount of redundancy will always go unnoticed.

As you further your education on almost any social subject, you will find more and more things that start annoying you...its best to simply accept that the world is not filled with intellectuals and comprehension...else your going to go bald early or something.

Most of the discussions on ATS frankly can be considered philosophy..be it political ideology, religious dogma, or a discussion about the NWO desires and movements...little backed in evidence, little being anything more than a thought exercise.

top topics

join