It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clandestine Mine Reconnaissance and Countermeasures System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
CMR/CS is intended primarily for reconnaissance in depths between the surf zone and 40 feet of water, but it can cover waters of considerably greater depth. Envisioned is a small SWATH (for better seakeeping) platform with an overall length of about 36 feet, a beam of 15 feet, draft of 6.5 feet, and displacement of about 28 tons. The platform should have a range of about 100 nautical miles, with a payload of around 3 tons, and a maximum speed of 25 knots, with a cruising speed of 15 knots. The platform will be designed to be manned (three-person crew), unmanned, and remotely controlled. For the latter, the platform would be controlled by a fiber-optic link with an encrypted LPI RF link for backup. Mine detection, classification, and either marking or placement of delayed neutralization charges could be done by two Mk-7 mammal systems aboard each platform trained in the detection of moored, bottom, and buried mines. An expendable mine neutralization system could also be deployed from the CMR/CS. The effectiveness of bottom charges for neutralization of buried mines must be determined. Experience over the past 40 years supports the belief that mammals can be trained to operate effectively with an unmanned system, but the provision of a three-man (operator plus two trainer or handlers) crew has certain advantages.

CMR/CS could be transported by a combatant or amphibious ship (or by air if necessary) and launched from over the horizon for a high-speed (15 to 25 knots) run into the search area. Search speed for the system would be 3 knots, covering a search path 50 yards wide. With a 2-hour on-station time, each unit could cover around 600,000 square yards. The system would be capable of operating day or night, but night operations are envisioned for greater covertness. Further covertness could be achieved by utilizing stealth technology in the construction. The search speed noted above is based on detection and classification only. If the mammals are to place a transponder or a command-detonated neutralization charge on each mine contact, the speed of advance would be reduced.

The CMR/CS concept provides for reconnaissance against moored, bottom, and buried mines unmatched by any other search system. For that reason the panel believes that the Navy's support of biosensor research should be continued with the ultimate aim of replacing the mammals with a mechanical system of equal capability aboard the SWATH vehicle. Beginning with the research conducted by the Naval Undersea Center, slow but steady progress has been made in understanding the mammal's method of echo location. For instance, in the early 1970s, thin plates of different metals and different geometric shapes were used to compare the discrimination capability of porpoises and divers. The diver was provided with a helmet containing a sending and two receiving transducers. Test results indicated that the instrumented divers performed as well as, and in some cases better than, the porpoise. Subsequent research, including that with neural nets, indicates that developing a mechanical equivalent of the porpoise may be feasible. This technology requires further research before it can be considered for development.

ACTD

Mr. M

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I spend a lot of time researching and obtaining this kind of information, only to post and find that no one responds with opinions or additional info. However, I do see people posting on the lamest threads, talking about things that are absolutely illogical and unrealistic.

It is very disturbing indeed...

Last time I checked, our motto was to "Deny Ignorance", not reinforce it.

Mr. M

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I find it interesting, M. I just don't come to ATS very often anymore.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
I find it interesting, M. I just don't come to ATS very often anymore.

Thanks Delta. At least someone has some brains around here.

I'm sorry, but I have been getting the impression lately that all everyone cares about it the superstitious and theoretical threads. Threads with hard, solid evidence of new technology rarely get looked at, with the exception of a few, of course.

Mr. M

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well you know it's not as exciting as a cover up

To be honest, I detest 95% of the stuff posted here. A lot of it is just a waste of space. Especially 99% of the threads in the weaponry section.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Well you know it's not as exciting as a cover up

To be honest, I detest 95% of the stuff posted here. A lot of it is just a waste of space. Especially 99% of the threads in the weaponry section.

My feelings exactly. I totally agree with you, Delta.
People are so gullible. You can deceive them very easily. A lot of the threads on ATS are a prime time example of that.

Mr. M

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
My feelings exactly. I totally agree with you, Delta.
People are so gullible. You can deceive them very easily. A lot of the threads on ATS are a prime time example of that.

Mr. M

Amen to that brother.

Nice topic. Too bad most people could give a flying rats about how the military is trying to do things smarter/better.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Amen to that brother.

Nice topic. Too bad most people could give a flying rats about how the military is trying to do things smarter/better.

Thanks LT. I'm glad to see that others feel the same way as me.

Mr. M

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Thanks LT. I'm glad to see that others feel the same way as me.
Mr. M

No sweat. Keep in mind that this system is so new that the wannabes here haven't had a chance to read anything about it and pretend to be experts on it.

What kills me is when people like that question people like us. Nothing else here gets me as spun up.

LT

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
You know what? You are right on the money, LT. I never thought about that before.

New Information = 0 posts (because no one knows what you are talking about)

Old Information = Removal of threads by moderators (under the pretense "refer to this thread (which has already been posted, regarding this topic)")

POPULAR Information = so many posts you can't keep track of them

Mr. M

[edit on 23-7-2004 by StarChild]

new topics

top topics

join