It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food prices rocket by 50% as global hunger epidemic causes riots and famines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Food prices rocket by 50% as global hunger epidemic causes riots and famines

www.dailymail.co.uk

'Perfect storm' of issues will bring widespread starvation if nothing is done

Food prices to rise by 50 per cent over the next decade

GM crops will be needed to feed the world

Global population to grow to 9billion by 2050
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Wow... Is this going to lead to rationing the likes we saw during the 40's?

My father told me about that and yet it seems so alien to me. Like the mideval battles i see portrayed in cinema.

Will America sense this at all? Or will we continue to consume at the rate we do today, only with more people doing so at once?

This makes for a very interesting future for those who are children now.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
As someone who eats very little and smokes a lot to make up for it, I say bully to the world! Get used to living like a Turk, puffing away at the cafe all day because there are no crescent rolls to eat!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A quote from your link has me wondering if the green revolution is a Soylent Green revolution. It would kill two birds with one stone. (Multiple puns not intended...completely.)

The report, written by 40 scientists in 35 countries, calls for a ‘green revolution’ to boost production using traditional, organic and genetically modified crops

- mike

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You are going to see an increase in the sale of lab made supplements like protein shakes as the shortage of meats and their rise in purchase price will deter consumption by consumers.

A benefit that can actually arise from this "food shortage" will be the North American population trimming up and losing some weight (ie. fat). Maybe this will teach people to eat to survive rather than living to eat.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It's all about bad management, really..

The earth can easily sustain a population of twice the size it is now with proper land management, food distribution and control of waste. The EU currently spends billions paying farmers to NOT farm and we still over produce.

Bear in mind this article is from the Daily Mail, where they will twist any story into some hyped-up end of the world scenario, usually caused by "brown" people...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
A very real problem, coming to a Walmart near you.

I was reading this morning about Amarta Sen, a Nobel Laureate form 1981, who put forward the theory (Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation (1981))that a famine is a direct result of censorship, and gives many valid examples of how this is true.

The article i read is here: Daily Maverick

Wiki on Amarta Sen: Wiki

From the Maverick article:

Of course, India hadn’t had a famine because if one area’s food supplies ran low, the whole country knew about it. Whichever democratic government of the day would have fallen as soon as news of any starvation emerged. Sen himself is very mindful of how important this insight is. He has spoken about it recently, pointing out again, that people die of starvation only in areas with no free media.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by subversivemike
A quote from your link has me wondering if the green revolution is a Soylent Green revolution. It would kill two birds with one stone. (Multiple puns not intended...completely.)

The report, written by 40 scientists in 35 countries, calls for a ‘green revolution’ to boost production using traditional, organic and genetically modified crops

- mike

Meaning they want to spread the total production of the Unsafe untested GM Crops, i don't like this.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Could this be the ultimate diet for people who have tried everything but still cant shed the kilo's,Not a bad thing for the wealthy countries,bad news for the rest

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

You forget that a generation of famine creates a subsequent generation or two of obesity given the genetic response to famine.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
there is plenty of food in the world to feed people, what we have is resource allegation problems....
there is no need for gm..that is spin...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It's about control,there is no shortage of anything in this world except decency.

An Indecent pursuit of profit at any cost.

Modern Day Carpetbagging.

Capitalism.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I can already see the difficulty stores are having keeping stocks available.

If you can't,you're frigging blind.

Never mind the prices....

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
So on one hand there is a food shortage, and on the other hand the govt is cracking down on people (not farmers) who grow food on their land (ie backyard).

Smells like a made up crisis to keep the elite on top.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
In the late 90's,there was a warehouse fire in Madison Wisconsin.

The warehouse was full of butter and cheese,and burned for several days.

I couldn't help but wonder how someone could store away tons of foodstuffs,while people were going hungry.

Hungry people in the supposedly #1 country in the entire world.

#1 at what?.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Agreed.

Add to that innovative farming techniques such as vertical multi-story/level farming, hydroponics, floating sea farms, algae based food production (very nutritious) and better use of what we have now, and you're right - the Earth can sustain many more billions of people before we start having to worry unduly.

This is *nothing* more, than scare tactics to try and foist the GM agenda on the public. Tell them they can't have something, or it's going to skyrocket in price, then instead of ripping up GM crap from fields, they'll be demanding that we have it!

I suspect Monsanto has a hand in this 'overpopulation' myth being circulated the last few years or so.

Gits.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
accutly there is a way to feed every one on the planet and do it out of your closet.
yeast it can be grown with all the stuff a human needs in order to live .it grows so fast that a 5 gallon bucket could easly feed a family.
just breed the kind of yeast you want and breed it to feed on any plant meterials like grass cutting or leaves or weeds add the weeds water yeast and try to keep it warm (in most places warm isnt a problem lol.
in two hours you now have enough food to feed your family .
ps this is the low tek version . with factory yeast you could grwo yeast that tast just like well any thing.
grow massive amounts in a very small area

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
And...if TPTB really cared about hunger issues....they would stop turning 600,000 tons of corn per year into high
fructose corn syrup...to save the cola makers 1 cent per can.........total bs

(heard on modern marvels it think)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Maybe we need food rationing in america. Have you evrt it seen much food fast food and restaurants throw away?it is sickening to see it. How much food does the average hosue family throw away, i am sure more then people in africa get in a week we throw away in a day. Look at the fat people epidimic in america. Do you think this is necessary? ration the food slim them down. I eat very little as it disturbs me to realize how much food is waisted. Also I dont wnat to be fat like the 60% or more of americans have become, reason being love of food is making fat people.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You are going to see an increase in the sale of lab made supplements like protein shakes as the shortage of meats and their rise in purchase price will deter consumption by consumers.

A benefit that can actually arise from this "food shortage" will be the North American population trimming up and losing some weight (ie. fat). Maybe this will teach people to eat to survive rather than living to eat.

can i get that shake super sized

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join