It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utopia - How would you build it?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08
and another interesting quote from Jimi Hendrix seems quite apt now, "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace".

wow, Hendrix really wrote that ???
me thinks I'm gonna have to dust
off the old LP's and see what else he said.
lol

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
you cant build a Utopian world. people will never give up their freedoms and stuff.

I beg to differ, in order to have a Utopian world then people would need to be free, truely free from all systems of control and free to understand his fellow man/woman, it is then when we look at other people we will see ourselves... well aspects of ourselves.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

and another interesting quote from Jimi Hendrix seems quite apt now, "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace".

wow, Hendrix really wrote that ???
me thinks I'm gonna have to dust
off the old LP's and see what else he said.
lol

He did indeed, he was a wise man... one of many wise musicians who left us too early, I would like to put John Lennon in that catorgory too...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
They don't have ATS in Utopia..........

.......nuff said.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

.......nuff said.

Peace

ATS probably won't even exist in 10years time, if the TPTB have their way and get internet censorship going.

I think in a Uptopian world, materialism would be a footnote in history, infact we will as a species probably be a bit ashamed of ourselves for killing eachother for millenia over mere posessions.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

or maybe ATS is the model
for a Utopia.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I tend to agree with you that that humanity is not evolved enough for Utopia, however that does not mean we should not strive to come as close as we can. The most important point is it can not be done by force or centralized authoritarianism. Everything must b voluntary.

The basic society would have to be built on:

No harm no crime
Voluntarism

As long as no one was causing harm no one can be forced into anything else. Everything can be traced back to these principles.

There will always be a monetary system it just has to be voluntary no one can have a monopoly on what medium of exchange is used, all are free to trade with and however they please. Those that say we don't need money have not thought things through. In a voluntary cooperative society people need to do the work that provides the goods and services of the society and they need to be compensated on some way. Humans will always vary and some will work harder then others. Those that do deserve more compensation then those that don't that is basic human nature. So the solution is to make sure that everyones labor and substance is thier own to do with how the see fit and none of it is taken from them against thier will. this ensures against anyone feeling slighted for doing more then others or receiving less the they deserve for thier labors.

If someone harms another then they can be brought before a Jury of thier peers and hear the claim against them. All such claims can be decide on the basis of whether harm was incurred or not. In business they can mutually agree on a a private arbitration group they feel is the fairest in the event of a dispute.

Any successful peaceful society depends on voluntary cooperation. The minute force is introduced where no harm is being committed the society begins to break down like ours has.

Nothing will be perfect and there is always the possibility of corruption, however the right form could keep it to a minimum and the children would need to be taught these basic principles.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

boondock-saint,

Discussion and disagreement as a basis for a Utopian world........hmmmm......I like it!!

While we are at it, maybe we can create the perfect chaos and call it order.

Sounds like my kinda place.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I like your thoughts my friend!

Yes there would be need for some form of monetary system, I tend to lean towards the same idea as you have presented, a system of exchange of goods. But this still attaches a value to an object and materialism is still in place, I think it is important to see an object for what it is, just an object... so I don't believe goods should be traded on a perceived value, more on the basis of "I don't have that and you don't want it"... lets trade and vice versa, lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Party Pooper!!

Your absolutely right,by the way. Utopia is when I get a full 8 hours of sleep,and a great breakfast in the morning. I keep Utopia simple.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

I like your thoughts my friend!

Yes there would be need for some form of monetary system, I tend to lean towards the same idea as you have presented, a system of exchange of goods. But this still attaches a value to an object and materialism is still in place, I think it is important to see an object for what it is, just an object... so I don't believe goods should be traded on a perceived value, more on the basis of "I don't have that and you don't want it"... lets trade and vice versa, lol.

Thanks for the kind comments!

It is human nature to attach value to things. That is not necessarily materialism. It us generally based on what is important to the individual. First among those is food, shelter, and water, and amount of labor involved in producing it. As long as we are on the physical plane we need certain physical things. Nothing wrong with that, the point is that it all has to be voluntary.

If you have some good or service I need or want and you agree to exchange it for 50 puca shells than it is no one else's business but yours and mine. If some group gets together and decides what something is worth and says you can only use abalone shells to trade and nothing else and then tries to make us use them, then that is force and leads to what we have today. Certain things will come to be generally regarded as a regular means of trade like gold and silver have through out our history. As long as it stays voluntary with all parties involved there is no harm. This is the only monetary system that can exist in a true free society.

It all boils down to freedom or force. You want as close to Utopia as possible? Then preserve freedom in all things that do not harm others. Practice harmlessness in thought, word, and action, and get the vast majority of society doing the same and that sounds like utopia to me.
edit on 25-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

With the human being as it's foundation and structure, one "brick" at a time.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

good luck with that..and be sure to tell all the bankers

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
I would destroy the monetary system, which is the true source for all the negative attributes of society you spoke of. Everything after that would pretty much sort itself out so long as there were mediators present such as shaman, councilors and therapists.

Keep people focused on living, instead of working to pay loans.

Smaller communities in communication with each other is the key to keeping corruption at bay.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

I am pretty much in agreement with you, there Gradius Maximus.
Vicky

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
you can't build a Utopia for everyone, but you can build one for yourself.

nice thread thanks

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sekos

Yes, each person to build their own!!! Imagine this idea, Everyone or family to have 1 hectare of land to build their own domain. Where you grow their own food with love and intention. Imagine everyone doing this, THEN we will end up with a harmonious utopia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some may jest and laugh at this idea, simply because it would seem impossible. Feeling and thoughts regarding this are more important than we believe, for they are power, and certainly power to manifest. Which one are you wishing for? And yes ATS wont excist in ten years, WE wont need it! We'll be catching our apples from the tree in our very own Domain!!!! Oh the joy!!!!!!

If this resonates with you, look into "Anastasia, The Ringing Cedar Series" where this idea comes from......

I love this idea! Think about it.....
Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

With the human being as it's foundation and structure, one "brick" at a time.

That is very true, nobody can expect a Utopia seemingly overnight, it is a process and one that will take time to reach it's final conclusion. We have the building blocks in our grasp, we just need to figure out how to lay down sturdy foundations to build upon.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Evaluate ALL the minds who would be part of it (mind read) and create it to what their hearts desire...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
good luck with that... and be sure to tell all the bankers

There will be people, such as bankers who will stand in the way of progress. I won't lie to you and say that a Utopia would be created in a peacfull manner, there will be great upheavel and destruction in the world before a Utopia will ever happen.
I should imagine that World War 3 will be when all this takes place, we will have nearly (if not, completely, in which case there would be nobdy left to create a Utopia) destroyed ourselves and then the realisation that the human race cannot carry along the destructive path that it has done throughout it history.

Once the world fully understands the true horrors of being destructive, by nearly annihlating ourselves then we will be in the position to move forward along another path. You must destroy in order to create, let's just hope that we have something worth creating, something better.

edit on 25-1-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

"Utopia - How would you build it?"

By not trying.

Okay, that wouldn't build a utopia. But it's the only way to not build a dystopia.

edit on 25-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join