It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I LOVE Animals, but come on!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I love animals. I have several pets and they are all well tended and adored. Having said that, I think that there is something very wrong with the fact that a person could possibly get into more trouble by abusing an animal than they can abusing another human being. There certainly seems to be more of a fuss made over the mistreatment of an animal than a person. Case and point:

Here recently , a beautiful 2 year baby boy was found dead in the bathroom of the his families home. He had suffered unspeakable abuses. I was brought to tears by the short segment that was given the story on the news.( I actually learned more by word of mouth from friends that knew the family!)
Fast forward a few minutes and there was a story on about an elderly woman that was in trouble with the law for keeping to many turkeys. While the animals were well fed, they were confined to cages and didn’t have enough room to move around. . . Now at the time I wasn’t really all that concerned about the turkeys… I was too upset over the little boy… I watched for several nights for an update on the little boy, to see if they had found the murderer… there was no mention, but there was an update on the old lady with the fat but cramped turkeys. . . I swear that woman was discussed in the news at least 4 nights that week while this little boy barely got a mention. . .

Then a few days later, there were two dog carcasses found in a field. . .someone called the local news. They didn’t know how the dogs died, but were interviewing people in the area and they all said the same thing… “I hope whoever did this is caught and goes to jail for a very long time”. . . this without even knowing how the dogs died and the reporter even said from the looks of them, they had been there for a while. People were outraged! I am thinking, “where was the outrage for that little boy”. . .

I am in no way advocating the abuse and neglect of animals, as I stated earlier, I love animals! I have rehabilitated and released all kinds of critters, from deer to blue jays and I have cats and dogs that I love, but I do think that things are twisted when it comes to the way that society tends to look the other way when a person is being abused or mistreated, but jump up and down when the tables are turned and its an animal. . .
Do any of you remember the story on the nightly news a year or so about the young man that was stabbed to death on the sidewalk and no one would stop to help him and he laid there and bled to death… I wonder… if that had been a dog being stabbed to death, would someone have intervened! I bet the answer is yes. . .

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Blame the ***SNIP*** with PETA! I'm a animal lover as well....but come on

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on January 25th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: snipped profanity

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's not the way too intense focus on pets.
It's the half century of TV brainwashing and desensitization towards other people.

Nobody cares about other people because we've been programmed to hate each other nearly as much as we've been programmed to hate our selves.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

That very thought was racing through my mind as I was writing this thread. It is so sad, but true! I would love to think though that if someone saw me being stabbed, punched, kicked or whatever, that they would step up and help... wishful thinking I am sure!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The reason you aren't seeing any more about this is because there has to be a criminal investigation into the boy's death. Your local news isn't going to report on hearsay on a local case like this. They will wait until the investigation is over and the criminals are arraigned. You'll see something about this again in a few months.

It's precisely because animal abusers aren't held as accountable as child murderers that you're seeing more segments on the local animal abuse than the death of the child.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Cobra5000 because: grammar

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobra5000

Well, they did report that they had found the murderer, and that it was someone in the home, showed the mugshot and moved on. . . my point was that this story got no where near the coverage or response that the turkeys did....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra5000
The reason you aren't seeing any more about this is because there has to be a criminal investigation into the boy's death. Your local news isn't going to report on hearsay on a local case like this. They will wait until the investigation is over and the criminals are arraigned. You'll see something about this again in a few months.

It's precisely because animal abusers aren't held as accountable as child murderers that you're seeing more segments on the local animal abuse than the death of the child.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Cobra5000 because: grammar

yep, sometimes until they crack a murder case they don't even try to tell the family what is going on.

The laws is harder on murderers of humans but i have noticed that a lot of people tend to be more effected by cruelty to animals. I think it's because those people see those animals as completely innocent where they find it impossible to have the same empathy for a human.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Probably a very retarded question, you decide whether it is.

If a species visited earth with a greater intelligence than our own and started farming or harming us, you would have no argument there.

What makes you think we are special that we should treat harm to other species less serious than harm to the same species?

I feel you might have a different opinion if the above happened..
edit on 25/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

What makes you think we are special that we should treat harm to other species less serious than harm to the same species?

editby]edit on 25/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

Yay Awake, humans are NOT more special. Human have committed vast vast attrocities. Yeah, I saw someone's video of the lions eating that bull. But they weren't doing it for the sake of 'racial hygene', sexual gratification, dark rituals, greed for profits profits, you could go on and on.
edit on 25-1-2011 by simone50m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Why is my print above so small...ats????

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Let me try this again. Yay Awake, humans are NOT more special. Humans have committed vast vast attrocities. Yeah, I saw someone's video of those lions eating that bull. But they weren't doing it for the sake of 'racial hygene', sexual gratification, dark rituals, greed for profits, profits, ......(And you could go on and on with examples)
Oh and how could I forget. 'Sport'. Sarah Palin.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
my point was that this story got no where near the coverage or response that the turkeys did....

...prior to the last few decades, child abuse was mostly handled via "pretend it doesnt happen syndrome" and it rarely got media coverage... thats what society was used to and many would prefer it was still that way.. the government certainly benefitted from "treat em like mushrooms" policies, especially when it came to pro-actively protecting our health (nuclear testing, love canal, agent orange, thalidomide - long list) - but - the answer to why animal abuse gets more news coverage is - sigh - its fertlizer...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Yeah, I saw someone's video of those lions eating that bull. But they weren't doing it for the sake of 'racial hygene', sexual gratification

No, they were doing ‘it’ for food, but I can tell you something Lions DO for sexual gratification and procreation.
If a male lion ‘takes over’ a pride he will KILL all the existing cubs in the pride (sometimes even eating them) so the females come into estrus again and he can mate with them.
Punto!

I agree with the OP - I’m sick and bloody tired of all the mamby-pamby crying sots who think it’s just so horrible to hurt an animal but give lenient sentences to child killers/molesters/abusers, etc.

Or even worse who turn their heads and shy away from protecting the elderly!!!

Do you have ANY IDEA how many elderly are ABUSED?

I bet you don’t.

So, get a freakin grip people.

Tell the chicken you just ate for dinner he’s different from the dog you just tossed his bone to.
He will not believe you and neither will the dog because they know there is NO difference!

But there IS a difference between THEM (pets) and our very lifeblood, our children, our elderly!

Am I saying I condone abuse?
Of course not.
I’m telling people to get their freaking priorities straight!

peace
edit on 25-1-2011 by silo13 because: peace

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

It is very interesting reading or hearing comments with regards to animal abuse cases (esp. high profile or public cases) and reading or hearing comments with regards to other abuse related to people. We have become desensitized (maybe because we see it everyday in various forms from entertainment, to shock-news, and maybe in our own lives) ... whatever the reason, it is a sad statement on us as a whole.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Just because I am for animal rights, does not mean I don't care about human rights. Where I'm coming from, is that humans institutionalize their view that they are superior. Animals are just different beings. My cats can "see dead people." I cannot.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Great post mate, i have to admit i am one of the brainwashed, i can watch countless die on TV and not bat an eyelid, but as soon as i see an animal mistreated i get very angry at whats been done. You opened my eyes a bit on that one.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join