It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

microsoft and internet take over!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Look its bad enough that I have to continually upgrade my windows! But when my laptop goes down and I have a genuine copy of XP. I have to do a format and reinstall on my Toshiba laptop (i know, i know) I can no longer go to Toshiba's website to get drivers! I have to have Vista which I hate or windows 7!

Seriously? WTF! So I and you have to continually spend money to stay connected. That's not even talking about the hundreds I spend weekly to keep my phone,cable and internet connection on. Talk about your black mail!

So what Microsoft contacts all computer manufacturers and strong arms them to move ahead with the next greatest and best thing? What about the 300 i spent on xp professional? Oh so sorry, too late outta date! Give me a frigging break! Yeah OK you worked hard and had a bazillion dollar idea.. Does that give you the right to dictate to the world what they have to have next?

Bill Gates is an asshole! I don't care how much money he has or how much he gives to charity.. Ask his kids how much he has left to them.. What a dick! Anyways, that's enough of a rant..Sorry Mods if this needs to be moved then do so.. Just thought that Microsoft and its global take over should be considered a conspiracy..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
you tell me an alternative and im with you bud. im looking at getting computers and any form of self serving technology out of reach from myself. we dont need it, u need somethign to play your tunes on something to record your music on and then just jam away!

im starting a cult/commune/sect up in 5 years ftw, retreat away and create my own with the people i want to be involved with.

the cult rules will be
do what you want but think before you do
if you wanna do somethingn negative build a house or something useful first
then if u still wanna put that negative energy out then u are free to.
oh and everyone has to grow atleast one product of use.
theres more im sure but meh that will do for now

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
What model Toshiba laptop?

And for the record, it's up to Toshiba to support the laptop, including making drivers for XP available, not Microsoft.
edit on 1/24/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

Linux is free.

It's up to you on what OS you want.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm sure you can find the drivers elsewhere other than the toshiba website. I understand your frustration though. Being forced to upgrade sucks. Maybe you should consider an open source OS and start transitioning away from microsoft...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

What OS came with this system originally? XP, Vista, or 7?

ETA: If it came with xp, you didn't have to upgrade yet. All you had to do was use the recovery partition, or the recovery disk that came with it. It already has all the drivers on it. Why did you buy a seperate Windows OS cd?

Also, I recommend Windows 7 as for as Windoze goes, it's the best thing MS has done to date. Of course that's not saying a lot.

Depending on what you do with a computer, I believe Linux was mentioned. A good OS once you get the quirks ironed out on a machine built for Windows.

Anyway, drivers can be found for that machine. Just take it to someone that knows how to do it. Don't know where you live, but probably not in my neck of the woods. But I'll be glad to help if I can.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

If you origionally had XP you should either have a driver disk or be able to find the drivers. The hardware is the same. New PC's with the newer hardware force you to upgrade the op system.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Dont like windows go with linux ? well im glad windows is still bring up to date os some aren't perfect but they are getting better and its a common practice to have a back up of all your drivers so if you dont thats your own loss sorry i dont have time for people who dont use common sense and it is a good practice to format ur whole system and do a freash install every 6 to 12 months depending on how much you use your system

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
All I have to say is: Once you go Mac you'll never go back.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Namaste1001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

I have to do a format and reinstall on my Toshiba laptop

Learn about hard disk imaging/cloning. It will save many many hours.

I can no longer go to Toshiba's website to get drivers!

Seems a bit strange! What is the model?

Seeing it is brand name machine it should have come with some sort of recovery/restore Disk or Partition. If it did not then it comes with a Utility to make your own system disks when you buy it? You could have always used a "Driver Backup Utility.

It could be that the drivers could be already in the XP Windows with latest the Service Pack or through Windows update. You could always use a "Hardware info" Utility to get the chipset maker & hunt the drivers down yourself.

I have to have Vista which I hate or windows 7!

Can't blame you on the Vista thing I call it "The Operating System that should have never been"!. Windows 7 is a lot better but not as good for "it's time" as XP.

Seriously? WTF! So I and you have to continually spend money to stay connected. That's not even talking about the hundreds I spend weekly to keep my phone,cable and internet connection on. Talk about your black mail!

Unfortunately computer & I.T are not cheap.You'll just have to get used to it if you want to use them productively.

And what you say about Mr gate sis probably true. They are called the "Evil Empire" for a reason!. Problem is that's the way it is. Mr gates has convinced the world Windows is the way a computer should operate, and we all know it's not true!.

As another poster stated you can use Linux which is free but unlike Microsoft there is a learning curve & hardly works straight out the box without some tweaking. I use both & actually think Linux is better because you can make it into whatever you want & has heaps of free software too boot! You have a choice either turnkey out the box Microsoft with the hefty price tag or the Free but newbie unfriendly Linux. I use both!

Cheers

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Switch to UBUNTU!

www.ubuntu.com...
best computer/tech related decision i ever made!

No M$, ever again for me! lol

Really though..
Ubuntu is the best OS ever .
and easy even for noobs .

(even my computer illiterate family can use it/ kids and friends to). lol

need help,
let me know.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It came with vista.. The recovery disc got trashed (dam kids) anyways I purchased a windows xp professional (300 us) seriously you would think i could load that and poof problem solved! I went to Toshiba's site and they claimed an XP download but it doesn't work. I'm seriously frustrated and yes i do think Microsoft has something to do with it. If they give you x amount of free software for x amount of dollars(hey buy a Toshiba and get windows whatever free). Wouldn't you think that a computer manufacture would jump on that? (Seriously without a OS then its just a dam paper weight) Provided they would make all hardware components work off of whatever driver they agreed apon?

I'm curious what cyberdick said? Sorry it was removed because it was off topic, but when i searched his posts. I Didn't see any contributions. I really want to differ to his insight and wisdom on this matter.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa
It came with vista.. The recovery disc got trashed (dam kids) anyways I purchased a windows xp professional (300 us) seriously you would think i could load that and poof problem solved! I went to Toshiba's site and they claimed an XP download but it doesn't work. I'm seriously frustrated and yes i do think Microsoft has something to do with it. If they give you x amount of free software for x amount of dollars(hey buy a Toshiba and get windows whatever free). Wouldn't you think that a computer manufacture would jump on that? (Seriously without a OS then its just a dam paper weight) Provided they would make all hardware components work off of whatever driver they agreed apon?

I'm curious what cyberdick said? Sorry it was removed because it was off topic, but when i searched his posts. I Didn't see any contributions. I really want to differ to his insight and wisdom on this matter.

You're absolutely right.
They are crooks.

If you want/need help with what i said in my previous post, feel free to hit me up.
Never have to pay for an OS again..
and it blows windows (and macs) away.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
As others have mentioned, Linux is a viable free option. I am a recent convert from Microsoft to Ubuntu and couldn't be more pleased.

Food for thought.
edit on 1/24/2011 by NJE03 because: sp.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I can't stress this enough.

TURN OFF YOUR AUTOMATIC UPDATES PLEASE!

This is what messes up your computer I can almost 100% guaruntee it. I haven't installed any updates for years. I do not even have an anti virus installed because I am smart about what I download.

Turning off automatic updates, disabling your windows firewall (find a free firewall online I don't suggest not having a firewall) and you will not have any more problems.

Also please get rid of windows vista it is a horrible operating system.

edit on 1-24-2011 by CPYKOmega because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I would like to try Linux but as Ive been told there is a learning curve and I would probably still be stuck where I'm at. I have scoured the web including torrent files and Nada! This is ridiculous! If I or anyone purchases a computer. We should have the God given right to run whatever OS we want. Because I don't install a certain OS then I'm screwed?

Again this is a conspiracy! If any of you have run MS windows then you know they infiltrate your system and usage more and more. I kid you not I swear they not only know your web browsing, emails and key strokes, but they can also turn on your web cam if your PC comes with one.

So after hours of trying to get my laptop to work. It appears that I'm going to have to pony up and BUY another MS product.

THNX for all your help and comments.. Be sure to turn off your web cams or at least cover them when not needed.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sending you soooo much sympathy, HooHaa! I can't agree more re Macs. They are HEAVEN. I'm now stuck on a Lenovo & while it seems like a nice little machine, I can-not deal with Windows (I am pyssed off ALL the time I'm on it. NOW I remember why I hated my Compaq) I, too, have heard/ felt the urge for Linux & haven't got the nerve. Maybe if there were a tutorial for the agonizingly painful, quadrupal facepalmingly stoopid.

I hope Bill Gates has to deal with 10,000 "steps" he has to take (& has no clue about) when he dies. Or better yet, for eternity. NO rest for that little smarta##!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I had the same issue with dell and they sent me new XP discs.

You say that it came with Vista and you had to install Xp ove rthe top iof that/ Can you even do it? if so you may have to restore it to the original (with Vista) and then put your copy of XP in.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa

1. Call Toshiba and order a new recovery disk. Should be cheap.
2. Take it to a tech that knows how to find the XP drivers for your hardware, and be done with it.
3. Put Windows 7 on it, make sure it's connected to the internet when you install, and it will find the drivers itself usually.

This maybe be frustrating, but it's not that big of a deal. As to Microsoft, what can I add to whats already been said. They're crooks, and we all know it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join