It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect pleads not guilty in deadly Ariz. shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Suspect pleads not guilty in deadly Ariz. shooting

news.yahoo.com

The suspect in the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords smiled and nodded but didn't speak as he appeared in court Monday and his lawyer provided the 22-year-old's first response to the charges: a plea of not guilty.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Why would he plead not guilty when plenty of witness saw him shot the victims? But I also don’t know if he is truly guilty, because all we have are eye witness testimonies saying he was the shooter because to my knowledge, a video of the shooting hasn't been released yet. If he is guilty, I want to see a picture or video of him in the act, otherwise all we have as evidence is eye witness accounts.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 24-1-2011 by jganer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jganer

Shooting for the "Insanity" plea...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jganer

in the news report they named him as the APPARENT shooter to me that means they still don't no for sure

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
video or it didnt happen? dont they use these things called witnesses? loughner is delusional and weak minded. he let his mind rule him, instead of ruling his mind. he probably just plans on lucid dreaming away from life in jail.
edit on 24-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by exdog5
reply to post by jganer

No, his lawyer said he is competent. "At this time".

And the prosecutor repeated this sentiment.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jganer

Why would he plead not guilty when plenty of witness saw him shot the victims? But I also don’t know if he is truly guilty, because all we have are eye witness testimonies saying he was the shooter because to my knowledge, a video of the shooting hasn't been released yet. If he is guilty, I want to see a picture or video of him in the act, otherwise all we have as evidence is eye witness accounts.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 24-1-2011 by jganer because: (no reason given)

The plea of not guitly is protocol, a guilty plea would move straight to sentencing. By pleading not guilty today, Judy Clarke is reserving the possibility for a mental competency defense or other possible defenses. The pretrial motions hearing is set for March 6th, and we will see then the possible defenses to be used.

No video will be realeased, as it is evidence in a federal trial, any release of the video would taint the jury pool, this is commonplace. And one does exist that according to investigators id's JLL as the shooter. There is also video evidence of him purchasing the firearm that was used in the shooting along with the receipt obtained from the store. I am sure there is more forensic evidence as well that will come to light during the trial. But this will not be released to the public until after voir dire, if even that early.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Guilty Plea: Accepting the Plea - The Nature Of Guilty Pleas, The Plea Process, The Elements Of Guilty Pleas, Statutory And Procedural Requirements

please read. The judge will usually not accept a guilty plea early in the trial process for many reasons.

Keep in mind this is the US legal system.
edit on 24-1-2011 by exdog5 because: link modified

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow. Interesting.
I haven't seen video of the incident, so I can't say for sure he shot them.
All we have are witnesses. Not to say that isn't worth anything.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think he'll use the ATS defence.

You know the one where the prosecution have to prove that reality exists and that these people, allegedly dead or injured, are actual sentient lifeforms and not just constructs of an elaborate ruse and that if they did indeed exist that they didn't deserve this punishment by way of some unknowable or provable fate.

The hopes being that if anyone does agree to take on that argument the words "troll" and :"diinfo agent" allow them to control the conversation in Jared's favour when things seem to be making any sense.

It will, of course, get as much merit given to it and treated with as much respect as any learned person would give it in any reasonable circumstance*.

-m0r

*That's none for our mentally bereft viewers.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Besides the legal positioning and wrangling that goes in in these preliminary proceedings it's important to note that if the shooter was politically inspired, such people typically look forward to their day in court to share their message or opinions.

To have that day in court though you have to present yourself as not guilty in order to have a trial where you can make your politically inspired statements at.

For instance the man who invaded the Federal Reserve in Washington DC in the late 1970's did so because he wanted to present his views on the Federal Reserve in a Court of Law. So that they could become publicly known.

Interestingly enough after he got done with prison on that he went on to be the shooter at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC a little over a year ago, so I am guessing he has some theories on the Holocaust or Jews he would like to present in a Court Room too.

I still think it's easier and preferable just to write a book, but for those who just can't stand the rejection slips, there is always a Court of Law willing to hear your story, well, once you break a law any way!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Missed that part MuzzleFlash! Thanks

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by exdog5
reply to post by jganer

Exactely! I wonder if they will bring up his time on ATS in trail?
They are probaly going to think he is nuts along with everybody else on here

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
ya, well, of course he would plead not guilty. This guy is a whack job, what kind of nut ball does this in the first place. He's doing it for the publicity now, he'll probably go for the insanity plea when in all actuality he should rot in prison for the rest of his pathetic life. No death penalty for this guy, that would be too easy./

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
All we have are witnesses.

Witnesses to what? That somebody shot a bunch of people, or that Jared Loughner shot these people? No witnesses have so far ID'ed Loughner as the shooter. Their case is a lot weaker than they are letting on.

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
For instance the man who invaded the Federal Reserve in Washington DC in the late 1970's ....
Interestingly enough after he got done with prison on that he went on to be the shooter at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC a little over a year ago

Von Brunn probably never shot anybody. Read the details:

signofthetimes.yuku.com...
edit on 24-1-2011 by starviego because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join