It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

nasa object

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
hi all just wanted to say hello to this site, very good reading here just wanted to ask if anyone else watched sky news last friday morning 21st jan 6.15 am sky news announced that nasa had made a statement about a huge rocket carrying a us military sattelite into space and it had to delay its launch by 2 minutes due to an object in space, i found this to be a very interesting subject what was the object that was in the way, it must have been big so as to avoid a collision, any thoughts from any one

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sensairich

Hi sensairich, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Moderator.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sensairich

WOW congratz on a great intro. post. I missed that but will check it out
.. Thanks and enjoy ATS you seem ready all ready

edit on 1/24/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Don't worry about it it's just nasa trying to wind us up here at ats.The real reason it was late (the guy who hit the button) was on a tea breck and lost track of time.But nasa being nasa could not say that so they came up with THE OBJECT.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Do you have a link? the first thing I though when reading was this:

NASA object

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Do you have a link? the first thing I though when reading was this:

NASA object

I remember reading about this but it kind of got burried.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
this is the news article this is all i could find and no sighn of it anywhere on sky news now www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by audio assasin

news to me! I read that this was nothing to do with nasa. Just purely a US military project. No info on what it was carrying.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensairich
hi all just wanted to say hello to this site, very good reading here just wanted to ask if anyone else watched sky news last friday morning 21st jan 6.15 am sky news announced that nasa had made a statement about a huge rocket carrying a us military sattelite into space and it had to delay its launch by 2 minutes due to an object in space, i found this to be a very interesting subject what was the object that was in the way, it must have been big so as to avoid a collision, any thoughts from any one

Thoughts? Yes; the govt tracks way over 13,000 bits of orbital debris in orbit. it affects many missions...I don't associate "space object" with UFO in this case.

What Is Orbital Debris?

Graphic showing location of orbital debris

Most orbital debris is in low Earth orbit, where the space station flies. Image Credit: NASA
View Larger Image →

Orbital debris (duh-bree) is "junk" in space. It is pieces of spacecraft. Humans have been launching objects into space for more than 50 years.

Most of the "junk" has fallen back toward Earth. About once a day, something falls back to Earth. Some of these objects have landed on Earth. Since most of Earth's surface is water, objects usually fall there. Other objects burn up in the atmosphere. But many of the objects are still in orbit around Earth.

How Big Is Orbital Debris?

Debris can be as small as tiny flecks of paint from a spacecraft. Large debris could be satellites that are no longer working. A lot of orbital debris comes from explosions of objects in orbit. These are often parts of rockets.

Why Is Orbital Debris Important?

Most "space junk" is moving very fast. It can reach speeds of 4.3 to 5 miles per second. Five miles per second is about 18,000 miles per hour. That's almost seven times faster than a bullet. Since it is moving so quickly, a tiny piece of orbital debris can cause a lot of damage. A piece of debris the size of a marble could hit as hard as a bowling ball going 300 miles per hour.

~~

David Hitt/NASA Educational Technology Services

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 24-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

[Mod Edit - trimmed external quote]

edit on 24/1/2011 by Sauron because: trimmed external quote

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

It had been pushed back two minutes to avoid an object in space that could have been in the path of the rocket, said Michael J Rein, a ULA spokesman.

Wonder what it could have been? Space Junk? Debris? Satellitte? UFO?
edit on 24-1-2011 by inthemass because: whomp

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

clearly stated by sky news that is was a statement by nasa, anyway on another note has anyone got the ability to upsize the logos on the top of the rocket im not that good with computers yet

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

definately a ufo call it a gut feeling

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthemass

It had been pushed back two minutes to avoid an object in space that could have been in the path of the rocket, said Michael J Rein, a ULA spokesman.

Wonder what it could have been? Space Junk? Debris? Satellitte?

Good question. After all, do you pull out onto a fast road without looking both ways?

NASA makes bad mistakes at times, but to not check for items along the intend path of the launch is asking too much. A delay of only two minutes is not long, but it is important and to be avoided if possible. So either somebody didn't do their job of properly checking for space debris, or something unexpectedly moved into the intended path. Perhaps it was something not even in orbit, but lower.

Last week there was a thread about the several if not many times UFOs have been photographed around launch facilities either shortly before or during a lanuch. Maybe this was just another instance.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Thoughts? Yes; the govt tracks way over 13,000 bits of orbital debris in orbit. it affects many missions...I don't associate "space object" with UFO in this case.

Technically, if NASA cannot definitively identify it, it is a UFO (unidentified flying object.)

46ACE, the above was my reply to you... the rest is just replying in general:

I have some real "Huh???" reactions to this news. Such as...

* If they are tracking 13,000 bits of debris in space, I'd think one of their own pieces of 'junk' would be among the list of things they'd have kept up with. Such as... *Mission Control: "Dang, look 'ere Bob... the second stage of Apollo 13 zoomin by as expected!" LOL

* Which also makes me think... if a stage of a rocket went hurling into space, what would make it hurl back? Doesn't that defy the laws of space-- that things just keep on a'floatin in the direction they started, which is why they tether the astronauts to the space station when they go outside of it!

* Speaking of Space Station, surely they could have gotten a look at the flyby!

* Also, the article said "spaceship or booster" so, um... which of their spaceships might they be referring to? Which one got lost in space? I'm not remembering any. I know some crashed (sadly) back to Earth, but no whole spaceships got away, did they? Why would they say spaceship or booster, which means 'whole thing, or part of whole thing' --if part was the only possibility?

* This thing made a pass (really fast) and is now following Earth's orbit? Did I read that right? And will probably remain in Earth's orbit? So it comes out of nowhere, passes the orbits of all of the other plants until it gets to Earth's orbit, and decides to jump in for a ride on our track around the Sun? I bet Venus is jealous.

* They delayed the launch by a couple of hours. Hmmm... This thing really must have come out of nowhere! They plan these missions with tedious precision! They've got to avoid hitting our satellites, asteroids, meteors, you name it. They didn't know this thing was coming? To the point where it got close to launch time and they had to delay for a couple of hours?

* If the mission was to release a military satellite into orbit around the Earth, why would something passing close to the moon (which is well beyond our satellites) be an issue anyway?

* Back to the debris from an old spaceship... even if they lost track of it, wouldn't they recognize their own stuff? It said they were observing it. It came close to the Moon. I'm not buyin it! It doesn't all add up to me.

edit on 1/24/2011 by new_here because: spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here
[remember gary mckinnon the chap from the uk who was caught hacking into johnson space center, well didnt he refer to an off planet fleet, with some sort of ships but the names of the ships couldnt be found on earth, maybe one of these had an accident? i just found it slightly odd that why just say [an object] why not be more specific unless they didnt know what the object was, ive looked into many things relating to ufos theres a lot of hoaxes but im sure the nasa secret transmissions are totaly legit and without a showdow of a doubt that we are being fed utter b#####it to cover up the much much bigger picture

new topics

top topics

join